Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM

157 posts, read 398,304 times

Advertisements

Let's not skip around this issue anymore...

Here's my take on urban density:
  1. It is not an unassailable virtue. Meaning, people who live in less-dense cities are not evil, environment-hating rednecks, nor are Manhattanites necessarily paragons of sustainable living.
  2. It is not an objectively "superior" type of lifestyle. Density isn't "hip" to everyone. It is but one of many possible lifestyle choices.
  3. By itself, it does not make any one city superior to another. One must take into account a whole range of factors to make such assessments. Saying that "City A is better than City B simply because City A is denser" is an asinine line of thought.
  4. By itself, it does not translate into better livability. Some of the densest cities in the world are in developing and middle-income nations. They're hardly livable areas.
  5. Density exists in virtually every city in the world. The people who want to live in dense environments have no shortage of choices, so I'm not sure why they must constantly criticize people who do not share their lifestyle preferences.
  6. Yes, there can be "dense sprawl." Los Angeles? Miami?
  7. The market should be the ultimate force that shapes which areas are dense and which aren't, not government. People who want to live in dense environments should have that option, as should people who prefer less density or even, *gasp*, sprawl.
Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:11 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,636,451 times
I find at a certain density point, areas transition from urban to more suburban. Although, of course suburbs or cities can be of any density... For instance, certainly anything under 3,000 people per square mile is pretty spread out in my mind and feels different. I like closer infrastructure and housing personally..

But I do think you are over-generalizing everyone's views on population density. There are great cities and areas with ANY density.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,007,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I find at a certain density point, areas transition from urban to more suburban. Although, of course suburbs or cities can be of any density... For instance, certainly anything under 3,000 people per square mile is pretty spread out in my mind and feels different. I like closer infrastructure and housing personally..

But I do think you are over-generalizing everyone's views on population density. There are great cities and areas with ANY density.
I don't think the OP is disagreeing with you. What the OP is saying is that there are some posters in this forum (primarily from the Northeast) who hate any city that isn't old, dense, and compact. And I think the OP has a point.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,485,912 times
No I disagree on all points. Anyplace less than 10K /sq mile is the boondocks and not worth a mention.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
I agree, the density issue is a problem. Sometimes these people in cities really do seem dense.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:13 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,112,758 times
OP, you're making a lot of folks who spent $500K for a 400 sq ft warehouse loft with fake stainless appliances really mad. Don't you know they can walk downstairs to conspicuously consume Starbucks lattes while they complain about how Starbucks is too corporate?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,636,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I don't think the OP is disagreeing with you. What the OP is saying is that there are some posters in this forum (primarily from the Northeast) who hate any city that isn't old, dense, and compact. And I think the OP has a point.
True. I do a correlation between unsubstantiated amount of hate for my region from people living in LA and NYC.. seems those two areas in particular.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:43 PM

157 posts, read 398,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john shaft View Post
op, you're making a lot of folks who spent $500k for a 400 sq ft warehouse loft with fake stainless appliances really mad. Don't you know they can walk downstairs to conspicuously consume starbucks lattes while they complain about how starbucks is too corporate?
:d Reminds me of the South Park "smug" episode...

Old 07-09-2009, 06:14 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,206,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
No I disagree on all points. Anyplace less than 10K /sq mile is the boondocks and not worth a mention.
You need to travel outside of Boston. You just cut off LA, another city that doesn't have a 10k/ sq mile density. LA is no way shape or form is the boondocks.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,927,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
You need to travel outside of Boston. You just cut off LA, another city that doesn't have a 10k/ sq mile density. LA is no way shape or form is the boondocks.
Methinks that Bostonian was, just maybe, being a tad facetious with yon post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning