Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which density level would you consider ideal for average city living?
Extremely high density. Above 10, 000 people per square mile 57 37.75%
Medium Density. 3000 ppsm to 10 000 ppsm 64 42.38%
Low Density. 500 ppsm to 3000 ppsm 12 7.95%
no density. below 500 ppsm 18 11.92%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,974,254 times

Advertisements

No Kidphilly. you miss my point. we already went through this in the chicago thread and I agree with you. If you read my post here you can see that I am talking about the posters who put down others because of lower density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,767,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Ask the high density junkies who use that as an excuse to put down cities that are so awesome they can't find anything else to gripe about
Density dosen't mean anything to me. Density doesn't make a city.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,701,466 times
I like being around people but I dont living crammed with people. It can get annoying. I like low density. You still see plenty of people when you go out since most people go to certain areas (town centers, community centers, where ever all the stores and restaurnats are) and in those small areas the density is much higher, but you still have your own personal living space, and you have a quiet street where you can enjoy a peaceful walk at night, and when your dog gets out you don't have to worry about it being hit by a car, etc. So a pop. density of 1-2 thousand per sq mile is ideal to me.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,659,054 times
5 ppsm seems about right

Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 PM

721 posts, read 1,795,546 times
I feel this all depends on age. Older people are going to prefer the lower density suburbs because they were raised in dense cities. They enjoy the free space suburban living offers and its auto-friendly design.

Younger people however, tend to prefer denser areas because we were raised in Suburbia. Of all my friends, not one wants to live in the suburbs. Our life plans are pretty much identical. Move to the city, get married, have kids, move to Evanston, IL.

I prefer the density because it's more beneficial to everyone. We're not wasting thousands of square miles for land that could be conserved for non-human life. I'll stop now.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,062,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Younger people however, tend to prefer denser areas because we were raised in Suburbia. Of all my friends, not one wants to live in the suburbs. Our life plans are pretty much identical. Move to the city, get married, have kids, move to Evanston, IL.
What the...? Do people even plan their lives out that far?

Evanston? So is that where all of Chicago's population is heading off to now? Hmm answers one part of the mystery.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
My neighborhood is 18,000 people per square mile and it feels just right. It doesn't feel that dense though. I picked it over a neighborhood that was less dense but somehow felt more dense. I feel like I have more elbow room here somehow than I do in other neighborhoods that are actually less dense.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,477,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I feel this all depends on age. Older people are going to prefer the lower density suburbs because they were raised in dense cities. They enjoy the free space suburban living offers and its auto-friendly design.

I prefer the density because it's more beneficial to everyone. We're not wasting thousands of square miles for land that could be conserved for non-human life. I'll stop now.
Or maybe young people like low density areas because that's what they're used to. One of the reasons I don't like density is because I was raised in the suburbs so I'm not used to it. And when you learn how to drive in the suburbs, you realize suburban driving is much easier than city driving. I realize cities have public transportation but I don't want to be a slave to public transportation.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,974,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I realize cities have public transportation but I don't want to be a slave to public transportation.

I think people from high density areas get really comfortable with driving less so there is this belief that everyone is the same.
I love public transportation when it is efficient, but I also like my freedom.

When I was in Europe I was shocked by the number of people who didn't have a drivers license. They had a negative opinion of all the cars in the US but I wonder how much of that is due to never driving before. They kept saying why don't we build more subways. I think subways are great coming from Texas it is not all that convenient.

I remember going out in London and not being able to go home because the trains had stopped running. I remember helping my host haul chairs on the rails in Geneva. It all seemed inconvenient to me.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,468,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think people from high density areas get really comfortable with driving less so there is this belief that everyone is the same.
I love public transportation when it is efficient, but I also like my freedom.

When I was in Europe I was shocked by the number of people who didn't have a drivers license. They had a negative opinion of all the cars in the US but I wonder how much of that is due to never driving before. They kept saying why don't we build more subways. I think subways are great coming from Texas it is not all that convenient.

I remember going out in London and not being able to go home because the trains had stopped running. I remember helping my host haul chairs on the rails in Geneva. It all seemed inconvenient to me.
Why didn't you take advantage of the 24 hour bus service in London? The night bus routes mimic the routes of the subways usually...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning