Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,344,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Since when do the Piney Woods look like New England? I don't think so, dude!
Yes, having been to both, I agree. There is not much similarity at all.

They both have trees. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,993,971 times
The Piney Woods are an extension of the Southern pine forests and that's what they look like, although the Piney Woods of Texas are at the western extreme of the great Southern pine forests and tend to look less lush and more homogenous. There's been so much logging, also, that there's very little old growth.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 PM

6,463 posts, read 9,839,455 times
I was in texas a few times for different training and schools, it is HOT there!!! It seemed hotter than when i lived in arizona lol

Old 08-30-2009, 05:12 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,289,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I was in texas a few times for different training and schools, it is HOT there!!! It seemed hotter than when i lived in arizona lol
The humidity makes it awful and you won't find that in AZ.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:57 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,955,626 times
I basically grew up in Texas but wasn't a native Texan. Lived near Dallas for almost 12 years and I will admit I had some fun times, but that was high school and youth.
Used to love going to the old Texxas Jam in the Cotton Bowl each summer......back in the day! Saw a lot of good 'ol bands there.
But......I never really liked the state or the weather. Geographically-speaking, it's just not what I prefer and lacks the kind of scenery that appeals to me, personally.
I know that scenery is in the eye of the beholder, but MOST of Texas was just too ugly and flat. The Piney woods were nice to see but they are only in a small part of such a large state (East Texas).
Used to go to the beach at Port Aransas and it was nasty more often than not. Big, purple jellyfish? and seaweed all along the beach, HOT, HUMID and swimming in the Gulf NEVER cooled me off. It was like swimming in a hot tub and you get to "dry off" under 100+ degree heat with 70% humidity. NO thanks.
I also never lived anywhere where there were so many clannish and narrowminded people as Texas and I've lived on the East coast, west coast, Hawaii, Colorado, and the upper midwest (MN, ND and WI).
FINE-looking women ALL OVER Texas though! Just can't deny that!
But, it was never where I would choose to call home like so many others I knew there did. But, most of them WERE native Texans.
I bailed out of Texas almost 20 years ago, never been back and have NEVER regretted it! NO desire to even visit there again, but I also feel the same way about Colorado too. Colorado sucks thesedays, but that's another story.
I LOVE.....the Pacific Northwest which you just cannot compare to ANY part of Texas.....well, except some parts of Eastern WA and eastern Oregon, maybe.
Oh well, to each their own.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,866 times
i miss texas very much,i now live in mi but my hart belong to texas!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,866 times
me and my family will be going down to texas to visit my family.who i havent seen in 9 years

Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 12,513 times
I was in Estes Park, Co. I would love to be out of central tx but the parents need me so im stuck till they are gone. I dream of elsewhere a LOT! I am doing my duty... gratefully! It's payback time!

I will sell out when they are gone and go live on the $$ where I wanna be!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 AM

I forgot to ask you where are your parents? I know where Alamogordo is. It is hot there too.. but yes, the mtns are close. How is the elevation? I'm betting the property prices are better there than in CO. I might look @ Alpine, or Ft Davis.. (love FD) but to be true to myself, Co. is better for the summer temps! I just HATE the heat.[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 AM

I know I seem like a traitor b'cuz I don't like tx,, but hey,, it's mostly the weather and the scenery,, bugs, snakes, thorns,,, and humidity. The lack of mtn views doesn't help, either. I lived down in WImberley when I was young and liked that, but i grew up and got away and found out that the best thing about tx was the ppl and the fact that it was home. When the parents are gone, there's nothing left to keep me. Ill be outta here! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas