Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 03:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,894,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct_bow View Post
I'm considering a move out of the northeast and seriously looking at Texas. I cant stand living in a blue state anymore. I like the 'politics' of Texas not to mention the 'Texas Spirit'

One thing puzzling me on this thread is all the talk of the weather. Most people didnt mention what part of the state they were from and it seems to me the climate is very different across the state. From the research I have done it looks like the panhandle (Amarillo, Lubbock area) is nothing like southeast Texas (Houston area) So when people say they couldnt take the climate, what part of the state are you from? Just how long and hot is it in the summer in different parts of the state.

I cant stand humidity and I visited relatives in Houston a couple of times in March and Feb. I felt the humidity as soon as they open the door on the plane!! Geeze.......how do you people live there???
If you can't stand humidity, that leaves only West Texas and the Panhandle.....the rest of the state is humid, some areas far more than others.

All of Texas is hot during the summer months, regardless of humidity. It depends on whether you can handle oven-hot or sauna-hot better.

And you're right. Texas is so huge and varied that it has something for everybody. Coast, piney woods, green lush swampland , high plains, rolling hills, grasslands, high mesas, high desert, mountains......it has it all.

My favorite part of Texas is the west/southwest, where I grew up.

If I come home, I will be in the Fort Davis-Alpine-Marfa area.

Alas, even my beloved Alpine and Fort Davis got up to 92 yesterday.

The upper Panhandle can be a little cooler, but I won't live where I cannot see mountains every day, so that rules out Lubbock, Amarillo and points north.

So.......take your pick, LOL!!

I miss Tex-Mex and the food terribly......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:01 PM

73,108 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If you can't stand humidity, that leaves only West Texas and the Panhandle.....the rest of the state is humid, some areas far more than others.

All of Texas is hot during the summer months, regardless of humidity. It depends on whether you can handle oven-hot or sauna-hot better.
And you're right. Texas is so huge and varied that it has something for everybody. Coast, piney woods, green lush swampland , high plains, rolling hills, grasslands, high mesas, high desert, mountains......it has it all.

My favorite part of Texas is the west/southwest, where I grew up.

If I come home, I will be in the Fort Davis-Alpine-Marfa area.

Alas, even my beloved Alpine and Fort Davis got up to 92 yesterday.

The upper Panhandle can be a little cooler, but I won't live where I cannot see mountains every day, so that rules out Lubbock, Amarillo and points north.

So.......take your pick, LOL!!

I miss Tex-Mex and the food terribly......
I would rather have the dry heat over the humid heat. I have lived inn DFW before and took a vacation there. 100 F in DFW is more tolerable to me than 85 F in Atlanta. Atlanta is not only humid, but no breeze.
Texas being such a huge state is part of its beauty. Deserts in the west, the grasslands east of the Pecos, and there is quite of mystery to me about the region of the Blue Hills.

I have heard of something called the Marfa Lights. Can you give more details on that?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,894,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I would rather have the dry heat over the humid heat. I have lived inn DFW before and took a vacation there. 100 F in DFW is more tolerable to me than 85 F in Atlanta. Atlanta is not only humid, but no breeze.
Texas being such a huge state is part of its beauty. Deserts in the west, the grasslands east of the Pecos, and there is quite of mystery to me about the region of the Blue Hills.

I have heard of something called the Marfa Lights. Can you give more details on that?
I prefer the dry heat, too, if I have to choose one over the other. DFW is very humid to me, but it's not as humid as East Texas--and the states to the east.

The speculations about the Marfa lights continue...LOL!!

Marfa lights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a lookout area on US highway 67/90, 8 miles east of Marfa. One would logically think that they are car headlights, but this goes back to the 1800s before there were either cars or a highway in the vicinity.

I've been 2-3 times, and have seen these lights each time, though the article says that they do not appear every night.

They fascinate me, and I will be going back!!

Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,838,718 times
Quote:
I'm considering a move out of the northeast and seriously looking at Texas. I cant stand living in a blue state anymore. I like the 'politics' of Texas not to mention the 'Texas Spirit'
I like the "Texas Spirit," too, but don't count on living in a red area if you like the urban areas of Texas...recently, they have voted blue.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM

157 posts, read 330,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I like the "Texas Spirit," too, but don't count on living in a red area if you like the urban areas of Texas...recently, they have voted blue.

Thanks Topaz. I'm not looking to move to a city but I dont want isolation either. I would like to have a non-descrip house on a little land, nothing fancy, in an area where I I can hunt and fish out my back door. But I still want to be within reach of a Home Depot (30-45 minute drive). I'm not asking for to much am I?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,838,718 times
Quote:
Thanks Topaz. I'm not looking to move to a city but I dont want isolation either. I would like to have a non-descrip house on a little land, nothing fancy, in an area where I I can hunt and fish out my back door. But I still want to be within reach of a Home Depot (30-45 minute drive). I'm not asking for to much am I?
No, it doesn't sound like you are asking too much. Texas is a big state...there are opportunities here for all sorts of things, including hunting, fishing, and Home Depots.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 PM

147 posts, read 311,432 times
I love Texas. It is big and has everything from desert to flat lands to new england scenery in far East texas to gulf coastal areas in the south. Choose your poison. No income state and good economy.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,993,153 times
Since when do the Piney Woods look like New England? I don't think so, dude!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:05 AM

585 posts, read 363,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Since when do the Piney Woods look like New England? I don't think so, dude!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,344,030 times
My wife and I were born in Texas and still have family and friends there. I just put in for a job in the Piney Woods region.

I can name the reason we left the state in one word: heat.

I love pretty much everything about Texas except the ungodly heat.

But after spending last Winter in the Northeast, I'm not sure I'm all that crazy about the freezing cold and foot after foot of snow piling up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas