Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,429,729 times

Advertisements

but it's hard to be humble when you're a Texan!!!

'
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Oh no, I know what you are saying about ego, and I will not rub it in at all. I just believe in my mind that it will be such a rewarding experience to pursue my dream job in Texas. Humbleness is definitely a key factor in this experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 01:40 PM

779 posts, read 2,256,234 times
I do not even want to visit Texas in 2009 or anytime before August in 2010 because I will want to stay and when I get back in my car and cross the Red River border and hit Oklahoma, tears will be running down my face for four hours.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:56 PM

73,288 posts, read 63,226,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
but it's hard to be humble when you're a Texan!!!

'
Perhaps it is hard to be humble, but I look at things from this perspective: You can be proud of your state and at the same time don't be arrongant either. If its home to you, it's your home. That is understandable. Being proud of your state without arrogance is the goal.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,966,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Perhaps it is hard to be humble, but I look at things from this perspective: You can be proud of your state and at the same time don't be arrongant either. If its home to you, it's your home. That is understandable. Being proud of your state without arrogance is the goal.
What I have never understood is why others seem to resent the fact that so many Texans are so proud of their native state.

Why do they even care? Why does this bother people from other states?!? it's no skin off of their collective noses, as far as I can see.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 PM

464 posts, read 1,366,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What I have never understood is why others seem to resent the fact that so many Texans are so proud of their native state.

Why do they even care? Why does this bother people from other states?!? it's no skin off of their collective noses, as far as I can see.
Unfortunently...Texans arent just proud...they have pride and walk as their **** doesnt stink. And I'll be the 1st to tell them it does and I can smell it from a mile.

The attitude (or shall I say Dallitude? or whatever) is just RIDICULOUS. It really is. I thought people here were probably more humble and less stuck-up/snobby/snotty, but I was wrong for listening to the people who told me that.

I dont care if someone is confident, but they take the word confident and flaunt it so much, that its BOLD insecurity. People here hurt themselves by acting that way because they never meet anyone with that attitude. My friends are always complaining about going home alone after clubs. I tell them, well hello! stop acting like a snob! And if you're not a snob...too bad, 90% of the people are so I dont know what to tell ya!

I havent left here, but eventually once I decide I feel like moving again I so will oppurtune myself.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Unfortunently...Texans arent just proud...they have pride and walk as their **** doesnt stink. And I'll be the 1st to tell them it does and I can smell it from a mile.

The attitude (or shall I say Dallitude? or whatever) is just RIDICULOUS. It really is. I thought people here were probably more humble and less stuck-up/snobby/snotty, but I was wrong for listening to the people who told me that.

I dont care if someone is confident, but they take the word confident and flaunt it so much, that its BOLD insecurity. People here hurt themselves by acting that way because they never meet anyone with that attitude. My friends are always complaining about going home alone after clubs. I tell them, well hello! stop acting like a snob! And if you're not a snob...too bad, 90% of the people are so I dont know what to tell ya!

I havent left here, but eventually once I decide I feel like moving again I so will oppurtune myself.
Well, given your attitude/experiences, I'd say the sooner you leave, the happier you will be.

I am a native Texan who left because of the HOT, HOT weather--and the fact that it's getting very crowded. And l grew up in--and lived in--an area (WT) that isn't even that crowded yet. But one of the best parts of Texas--Central--has been ruined by the huge influx of people. Austin and the Texas Hill Country were vastly better 30 years ago. Now they're wall-to-wall people, horrible traffic and sky-high taxes. The infrastructure is suffering too, because it can't keep up with the hordes of people going out there.

Texas has to have something, because it wouldn't have 20 million+ people--and be second in the nation in both size AND population.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,624,764 times
UrbaneAspects, I thought from other threads you were taking off from Dallas as soon as humanly possible! That you'd decided you hated it within a week or so of arriving there.

It will be very interesting to read your posts from wherever you do move and compare them to your posts about Dallas and Texas.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:15 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,310,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
... there are more jobs, not fewer, to be had in Texas, and more that have better pay.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics ... Texas pay is actually lower.

May 2007 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

$38K on average versus $46K in California. I you want to argue about the COL, taxes and all of that ... fine but ...

The pay is NOT higher in Texas.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:49 AM

779 posts, read 2,256,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post

Is Dallas really that bad? I have never lived in the city but I have visited a numerous amount of times and have loved every minute of it. I have met such generous people and the hospitality is incredible. They are very fond on me seeing as I come from Oklahoma. I'm sorry that it did not work out for you.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Is Dallas really that bad? I have never lived in the city but I have visited a numerous amount of times and have loved every minute of it. I have met such generous people and the hospitality is incredible. They are very fond on me seeing as I come from Oklahoma. I'm sorry that it did not work out for you.
I just really don't get it. If someone is that bitter about where they are living, why don't they just get the hell out? I mean, really!! Living in a place to attend college/university (knowing that it will end) is one thing....but staying until you "feel" like moving, all the while complaining vociferously, makes no sense whatsoever.

If one HAS to stay in a place because of a job, make the best of it--otherwise, there are numerous highways out of Texas. Pick one and go!

Life is TOO short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas