Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times

Advertisements

Is Texas moving "Left"?
I'm surprised that Houston is the first city to elect an openly gay mayor in Texas, I would have thought it would be Austin.

Houston Is Largest City to Elect Openly Gay Mayor - NY Times - Dec 12, 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:01 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,964,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Is Texas moving "Left"?
I'm surprised that Houston is the first city to elect an openly gay mayor in Texas, I would have thought it would be Austin.

It's the Austin stereotype. I'd say Houston is more liberal than Austin. Austin has taken things from Houston (for example, the Art Car Parade). Houston is the largest city in America to elect an openly gay/lesbian mayor, actually.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,129,269 times
Quote:
Is Texas moving "Left"?
For anyone interested, there's a thread in General US that's asking whether this election outcome means that US cities are moving to the left. It's plowing some of the same ground as this thread might have, if it had been opened a few days sooner.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,234,394 times
Quote:
Is Texas moving "Left"?

Well you thought wrong......

Old 12-13-2009, 06:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,427,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well you thought wrong......
That's simply because there's this perception by people who aren't from Texas that Austin isn't Texas, just like Houston is Texas, just like Dallas is Texas, just like San Antonio is Texas, just like El Paso is Texas.

Austin is Texas. It's not all that different from the rest of Texas, no matter how much people want to think that it is so they can maintain their prejudices against the state. "Well, if you step one foot outside the city limits of Austin, there's nothing but rednecks (used prejoratively)." Nothing could be further from the truth.

This does not mean that Texas is moving "left". It simply means that there's a lot more to Texas than folks who don't "get" the state see (or acknowledge, depending).

Old 12-13-2009, 07:07 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
... "Well, if you step one foot outside the city limits of Austin, there's nothing but rednecks (used prejoratively)." Nothing could be further from the truth.
I don't believe that,
the reason I said that is because I think (guessing) that if a gay person was going to pick a city in Texas to live their first choice would be Austin.

Again, that's just a guess.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
I don't believe that,
the reason I said that is because I think (guessing) that if a gay person was going to pick a city in Texas to live their first choice would be Austin.

Again, that's just a guess.
Then why do Dallas and Houston have much larger and more vibrant gay communities?

I dont think Houston electing a gay mayor means Texas is moving left. Her fiscal view are very conservative. It just means that most people here dont really care about sexual orientation and can get past it to find the best person for the job

Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,427,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Then why do Dallas and Houston have much larger and more vibrant gay communities?

I dont think Houston electing a gay mayor means Texas is moving left. Her fiscal view are very conservative. It just means that most people here dont really care about sexual orientation and can get past it to find the best person for the job
Couple of things. First, the gay folks that I know that live in the Austin area are happy here because they are considered just like anyone else, they're just people like everyone else, and so the size of the gay community here is a bit harder to detect for that reason. We don't expect people, just because they're gay, to "flaunt it" any more than we expect people to have "Heterosexual Pride" parades - it's really none of our business, when you get right down to it. What's more important is what kind of neighbors, employees/employers, friends, they are - or what kind of public officials.

Second, yes, absolutely YES, to your last sentence, which applies to Texas, not just Houston.

Third, curiousity demands, what do you mean by "vibrant"?

There IS a reason that the largest city in America to elect an openly gay mayor is in Texas. That's it.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Get a clue. You don't have to be a democrat to elect a gay person or to even be a gay person. Plenty of gay elected officials in Texas and gay people just enjoying normal lives.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
I don't believe that,
Honestly? Where do people come up with this bunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas