Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 PM

779 posts, read 2,254,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
The first thing I got when moving to Texas (actually my mom bought it as a gift) was a Texas shaped wooden plaque with our last name on it, "The ......." to hang on the front porch. There is just something about the shape of Texas that is very appealing. Only a few other states' shapes shows such distinction.

Thirty years later, I actually still have that plaque now hanging in the garage. It's weathered and broken, but I can't seem to part with it.
That is awesome and yes, I do think that the shape of the state of Texas is very appealing. The one and only state that looks like a cooking pot is, you guessed it, Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:15 PM

62 posts, read 201,939 times
Because of my husband's job. Been gone about a year and a half, and can't wait to get back. We visit often but it's still not enough.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,288,071 times
Quote:
I don't even get the joke. Colorado isn't one of those easily recognizable shapes but a beautiful state in person.
its a boring rectangle, like a window

Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 PM

5,407 posts, read 13,318,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
its a boring rectangle, like a window
Well, yes, that I knew. I just didn't get the joke part because to me what you stated was factual, not fiction. I guess the mushy didn't make sense to me. Forgive me for being analytical. It's one of my major faults.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,288,071 times
Quote:
Well, yes, that I knew. I just didn't get the joke part because to me what you stated was factual, not fiction. I guess the mushy didn't make sense to me. Forgive me for being analytical. It's one of my major faults.
I was kidding about getting mushy, the point was that texas had a cool shape, and I was cracking on Colorado for being the most boring shaped state. My windows are shapped like colorado.

Anybody who just got here is like... what the hell are they taking about windows/colorado

Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,706,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
Same with me. I'm a native Californian who's been exiled in Texas for 13 LONG years (and Arizona, which we first moved to from CA, for 1 year). When I returned to CA for a visit I had never been so happy in my life and like you, I cried when I had to leave. I just can't get adjusted to living in Texas (I still can't speak with a TX accent even after 13 years) and long for the day when I can finally return home to California.
I WAS a native Californian but left back in 1972. Sure, my parents still live in S. California, but when I go visit them I don't feel like a Californian. Home is where the heart is and mine is in Texas for the last 18 years. Interesting that my great-great grandfather came to Wisconsin (via Canada) and subsequent generations moved to Colorado and then California. Now it is reversed as my brother lives in Ohio and I'm in Texas. My parents moved to the Golden State back in 1948 and saw prosperous times after awhile, but now the state is economically broke. That's one of the things you get with low property taxes and too much spending by the state.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:17 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,869,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
My parents moved to the Golden State back in 1948 and saw prosperous times after awhile, but now the state is economically broke. That's one of the things you get with low property taxes and too much spending by the state.
Yes, it makes me crazy when my California family members go on and on about how awesome Proposition 13 is. And they are the first to expect top notch services from the state. It makes me want to scream, "But your state is OUT OF MONEY!!"

Old 10-10-2008, 12:47 PM

303 posts, read 848,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Yes, it makes me crazy when my California family members go on and on about how awesome Proposition 13 is. And they are the first to expect top notch services from the state. It makes me want to scream, "But your state is OUT OF MONEY!!"
I'm no fan of Prop 13 either.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 PM

779 posts, read 2,254,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I was kidding about getting mushy, the point was that texas had a cool shape, and I was cracking on Colorado for being the most boring shaped state. My windows are shapped like colorado.

Anybody who just got here is like... what the hell are they taking about windows/colorado
Lol, thats funny. Oh yeah, Wyoming also has a rectangular form like Colorado. Makes you wonder how the rest of the 48 states have unique shapes. It all started back when Pangaea was the 7 continents were all one.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:40 PM

303 posts, read 848,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
LOL, hold that thought til after you've lived in Dallas 12 mos. On LBJ freeway it seems like some people drive with the purpose and intent of placing someone in the hospital.
Tell me about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbookfairy View Post
If you don't like Texas then go back where you came from, cuz believe me we dont want you.
I would return home to SoCal in a heartbeat if Texas didn't keep stealing all the jobs through unfair business policies.

And I actually don't want a big house. Just means more effort has to be put into cleaning and maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas