Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes, just about everyone can find something they like.

Unfortunately, all of the state is HOT in the summer, and the heat lasts forever, like from April to the end of October.

The only cool, high elevation spot in the state (even Ft. Davis, Alpine and Marfa get hot as hell in the summer, despite having high elevations) is the Gudadalupe Mountains....and the highest part is now a state park.

I love my native state (especially the western part)...but I am really tired of the long, hot summers.
Having lived through the winters in Rapid City, South Dakota and Akron, Ohio, I would just like to remind everyone that you don't have to shovel sunshine. I hate shoveling snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 07:11 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Texas, being so large has a lot of variety. I would think anyone would find a corner he or she would like.
I'd have to disagree. Texas may be large, but so much if it is just plain rural and varying degrees of conservative. Outside of some of the urban areas, there's not much for me to like, personally.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Having lived through the winters in Rapid City, South Dakota and Akron, Ohio, I would just like to remind everyone that you don't have to shovel sunshine. I hate shoveling snow!
And I, in turn, would like to know what it is like to shovel snow....but not Midwestern snow, LOL!!

Correction to a former post: It is Gudalupe Mountains NATIONAL Park....but the end result is the same. You can't live at the higher elevations.

I'm looking at properties in Cloudcroft, Timberon and other places in NM that don't get as hot as it does here in Alamogordo in the summer...as well as other states. I pretty much have to be close to TX right now. The saving grace is that it's dry...and the nights cool off a lot more than they do in TX, even WT, with the exception of Ft Davis, Marfa and Alpine.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Like Jamesabilene, I took my turn shoveling snow too! Snow is beatiful to ski on, play in and catch on your tongue, but after a few years of pouring hot water on your door to even get a key into the door or to be able to open the door, scraping windshields, and shoveling it off the driveway and sidewalk, and salting the walkways it get old quick. And in South Dakota it's probably 5 times worse than in Denver

Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM

188 posts, read 521,027 times
I'm surprised to see so many people jump back and forth between Texas and Seattle. Haven't left yet, but like everyone else, I just want to leave the state to experience a change in scenery and weather. IMHO, yellow grass and shrubby trees makes Texas an ugly state.

However, I will definitely come back because how great the quality of life is, and the number of activities/how developed the urban areas are in the state.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Like Jamesabilene, I took my turn shoveling snow too! Snow is beatiful to ski on, play in and catch on your tongue, but after a few years of pouring hot water on your door to even get a key into the door or to be able to open the door, scraping windshields, and shoveling it off the driveway and sidewalk, and salting the walkways it get old quick. And in South Dakota it's probably 5 times worse than in Denver
Yes, there is indeed the other extreme. I do believe that the Dakotas are too far the other way, and most likely WY, too. I regret that I didn't get a chance to work in ND one winter, just to see what it is like. We bid on the job, but didn't win the project....

Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM

160 posts, read 638,485 times
I believe Denver would have more snow to shovel than Wyoming. I know it has more than Montana and North Dakota.

But, in any event, one winter is enough to make you hate the stuff. I hope that I never see any white powder fall from the sky again. If it wants to rain mud, I am happy, but snow, no way. Not for me; been there, done that. Give me heat any day of the week.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
My husband had to do a run into North Dakota once when we lived in Denver. It was high winter and his truck broke down out in the middle of nowhere. He said he was sure he was about to die, it was so cold! He said luckily another trucker ended up coming by after who knows how many hours, and helped him out. He said he would never want to get stuck in North Dakota in the winter no matter how much you paid him He loves the show "Ice Road Truckers" and thinks it'd be fun to try and do that once, especially since they pay so much, but then he thinks about that Dakota incident and knows Alaska probably gets a lot colder than that, and then changes his mind

Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Well, I don't shovel sunshine or snow here in San Diego - and never break a sweat. 75 degrees for most of the year! Each time I return to California from business trips in Texas/region, I sigh a big sigh of relief. To each his own.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Yeah but you're shoveling out money in heaps to live in SD.

(Understandable though -- the weather there is as close to perfect as you can get.)

Last edited by tstone; 02-04-2015 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas