Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 12:36 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,737,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
I can't foresee a pervasive Texas political transformation which would jar it from its current "Red Roots," if you will.

The SW states are already in a transformation, and Texas is no exception. Mexican-American citizens (traditionally Democrats) are having lots of babies like us good Catholics do, and illegals are having those ''anchor babies'' who may be voting before you know it. It is possible that these children will carry the same Democratic voting patterns, and if they do, they will outnumber the Red Roots and there will be no stopping it.

I still think Texas will be red for 2008, but wouldn't be surprised if it turns blue in 2012 and would expect it fully by 2020. It may not be a very P.C. way of stating it, but it's the truth, and the Mexican-Americans my extended family married into will tell you the same thing.

People are snoozing on this one the same way they snoozed on illegal immigration. It'll be in the works for 25 years before things change for the worst, and will be too late to turn back. (That doesn't imply I have Red Roots either. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,474,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
If it changes politically, it'll be California Jr., and if that happened, I guess I would have to leave to find somewhere that didn't aim to be Cali.
Hey, TEXAS doesn't aim to be California. It's all the Californians who moved here and want to change it to be exactly like where they came from, whether we want it to be or not. (To be clear, this does not include those who move here from California and love it for what it is.)

It's an arrogance that defies belief.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,293,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Hey, TEXAS doesn't aim to be California. It's all the Californians who moved here and want to change it to be exactly like where they came from, whether we want it to be or not. (To be clear, this does not include those who move here from California and love it for what it is.)

It's an arrogance that defies belief.
As a Californian but living in Texas for 30 years, the only important thing to me I'd like to change about Texas is the weather (heat and severe storms). Of course, that's not a possibility, so there isn't any need for anyone to worry about this Californian who has now lived in Texas for three decades.

Truthfully, the changes of which you speak can't be done by those arrogant Californians as Texans are too strong to let that happen. It will be okay in our lifetime, I'm sure.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,474,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
As a Californian but living in Texas for 30 years, the only important thing to me I'd like to change about Texas is the weather (heat and severe storms). Of course, that's not a possibility, so there isn't any need for anyone to worry about this Californian who has now lived in Texas for three decades.

Truthfully, the changes of which you speak can't be done by those arrogant Californians as Texans are too strong to let that happen. It will be okay in our lifetime, I'm sure.
I agree with you there. But it's SO annoying having to swat those mosquitoes all the time!

By the way, I think anyone who wants to leave Texas, should. I see no reason for someone to stay here (or anywhere) if they wish to be elsewhere. I just find some of the reasons given to be interesting, given that they don't seem to apply to the state that I know and love, if one looks further than one's back yard.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,656,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The SW states are already in a transformation, and Texas is no exception. Mexican-American citizens (traditionally Democrats) are having lots of babies like us good Catholics do, and illegals are having those ''anchor babies'' who may be voting before you know it. It is possible that these children will carry the same Democratic voting patterns, and if they do, they will outnumber the Red Roots and there will be no stopping it.

I still think Texas will be red for 2008, but wouldn't be surprised if it turns blue in 2012 and would expect it fully by 2020. It may not be a very P.C. way of stating it, but it's the truth, and the Mexican-Americans my extended family married into will tell you the same thing.

People are snoozing on this one the same way they snoozed on illegal immigration. It'll be in the works for 25 years before things change for the worst, and will be too late to turn back. (That doesn't imply I have Red Roots either. )

When (or if) Texas turns blue, I will be gone, sadly. Will not live in a blue state. Already have looked at places in WY, ID and SD for the future.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:22 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,396,199 times
amen i hear ya and am right behind ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
When (or if) Texas turns blue, I will be gone, sadly. Will not live in a blue state. Already have looked at places in WY, ID and SD for the future.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:50 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,152,419 times
I could live with Texas becoming a red state as I am more liberal than most of my Texas friends. However, it is not going to happen any time in the near future. I doubt if it ever happens. I always expect to waste my vote for president. (Don't tell anyone, but I am a Democrat.) Truthfully, I am not so liberal as I am a moderate who leans to the left, but in Texas, that is considered liberal.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:39 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,063,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I was not going to say anything...however since somebody else brought it up I'll chime in with another reason why I left Texas; too conservative for me.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,901,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I could live with Texas becoming a red state as I am more liberal than most of my Texas friends. However, it is not going to happen any time in the near future. I doubt if it ever happens. I always expect to waste my vote for president. (Don't tell anyone, but I am a Democrat.) Truthfully, I am not so liberal as I am a moderate who leans to the left, but in Texas, that is considered liberal.
Uh....Texas IS a red state at the present time.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:52 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,842,570 times
My husband and I both left Austin for jobs in the Pacific Northwest. Dazzled by the scenery, we thought we'd be in the Pacific Northwest for the rest of our lives. But we missed our friends in Texas. We also missed sun and the Texas quality of life. We're back in Texas (Houston this time) and we hope to stay here forever. We still love Austin but Houston has a lot to recommend it. There are things we like about Houston that Austin doesn't have, so the perfect solution for us is to spend time in both cities. And we plan on taking vacations to anywhere else that attracts us...we've learned the difference between places that are beautiful vacation spots and places that are great for us as a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas