Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:03 AM

285 posts, read 678,792 times

Advertisements

I was born in Ohio because my Mama apparently didn't know any better and raised in Georgia for the same reason. I lived in San Antonio for the 1967-68 school year and knew Texas was where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Unfortunately, at 16, I was not in control of my life so I moved back to Georgia. I attended UT-Austin and fell in love with a Texan so I thought I would finally make my home here. We left for 4 long years to repay his Navy scholarship .... that became a 20 year career ... then that dang follow up defense contractor position for the past 15. (Short answer: I left because others made me!)

We bought a Canyon Lake home and have seasons tickets to UT football so I'll be HOME in exactly 4 weeks! Husband is convinced I'll realize it is too hot and be happy to return to Virginia in December.

I don't think so......

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 AM

31 posts, read 83,353 times
^^ Ill second that. Austin is an amazing city! My favorite in Texas.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 PM

304 posts, read 1,128,817 times
Parents left TX for MN when I was in Junior High and after a stint in the USAF went back to MN for 35 years. TX was calling me as I near retirement so we built our retirement home in TX. So glad to be back "home". Have lived in CC for going on 8 months now and everything so far has been great. Not any more humid in CC as is was in MN from June thru early Sept and then you had the 7 months of winter.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 PM

658 posts, read 833,809 times
I love Texas! But the heat is too much for me. I will not live there. Maybe I will buy a Winter home there. Too much fun down there to pass up!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:40 PM

70 posts, read 313,778 times
I'm not a native Texan, but I consider it my home more than anywhere else I've lived. Moved to Killeen at age 9 with my mom, then lived in Austin for the next 8 years.

I decided to go to college in Philadelphia because I wanted to experience the East Coast and live close to my dad. Spent 3 three years living in dorms, then got an apartment in Southern New Jersey my senior year and stayed for 4 1/2 years. Absolutely hated it. At this point, I don't think I'd ever live there again.

Moved back to Texas this year (the Dallas area this time) and don't ever plan to leave, although I'd like to move back to Austin someday.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,296,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
I just got back from MT, visited a couple times... and it's quite a stretch to lead people to believe that MT summers aren't cooler. Sure the high can get into the 90s... but at least in the western part of the state it's not unusual to see frost at night even in the summer.
It's kind of like the stretch of leading people to believe that Texas' heat isn't relentless for a great portion of the year.

Actually, I love Texas in the Winter, Autumn, and a few days in the spring when it isn't humid. That's even better than California weather.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM

345 posts, read 1,569,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
We bought a Canyon Lake home and have seasons tickets to UT football
Now that's the way to do it!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,224,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
My email signature says it all:

Every Texan that has dared to cross the state line in his or her lifetime has returned disappointed and confused. The fact of the matter is there is no other state worth living in, or even traveling to, than the great State of Texas. So why would a Texan ever leave the state?
I love it!

Whenever I am flying home from a trip, I watch to see when the plane is finally over Texas. Then I am relieved because if the plane crashes, at least I will die in Texas!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,886,320 times
As much as I love Texas, I'm not going to be able to call it home in 10 years. It will be Californicated all too soon and over run with illegals. The rural mountain west (Wyoming, Montana, parts of West Texas, New Mexico, Idaho) will be the only haven from the assault of consumerism, suburban expansion, radical taxation, "enlightened" individuals passing nanny state legislation to put us "backwards" people in place, erosion of private property rights, and the destruction of a once independent, self governing group of individuals. It's coming whether we want it to or not. The border will remain wide open due to the influence of big business, the NAFTA super highway will be built, as the economy gets worse, people will flood to our state and bring their politics with them, and eventually us native Texans will be displaced. Our once great state will be taken from us before we even know it.

I wish we'd seceed from the Union right now. I wish we'd build a boarder fence on our borders with Mexico and America. I wish we'd hang Perry from a giant oak tree in from the Capital. It's not going to happen though. This land our forefathers died defending from the tyranny and despotism of Santa Anna and our own federal government during the civil war will be in vain (I'm not pro slavery or pro racism, but that war will always be the war of northern aggression). Unless we make a stand here and now, united in our defense of liberty, justice, faith, and reason, America will bring us down on her sinking ship.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,847,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I really don't believe this will happen to me. I don't feel like Texas is my home, I cry when I have to leave North Carolina, that is my home now. Texas is not for everyone and sure isn't for me.
I can see that living in Houson. I had some projects in Raleigh several years back, and I've got to tell you, It was just beautiful driving around the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas