Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM

345 posts, read 1,572,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That may be true for some people, but you don't understand how much I long to leave and be in either Eastern Tennessee or hopefully Western North Carolina. I love North Carolina just much as you love Texas. My heart aches to be there.
That could just be a case of thinking the grass is always greener! I'm a native Texan too, left in 2000 at the age of 39 saying "Heck ya, I'm finally getting the chance to get the hell out of Dodge!" Thinking any place HAD to better than where I was and finally getting the opportunity to experience all 4 seasons. Well, it ain't all that it's cracked up to be. I've been gone 8 years and unfortunately it look's like it'll be a few more, but I'll be back home just as soon as I can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM

23,043 posts, read 34,522,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCo Mom View Post
That could just be a case of thinking the grass is always greener! I'm a native Texan too, left in 2000 at the age of 39 saying "Heck ya, I'm finally getting the chance to get the hell out of Dodge!" Thinking any place HAD to better than where I was and finally getting the opportunity to experience all 4 seasons. Well, it ain't all that it's cracked up to be. I've been gone 8 years and unfortunately it look's like it'll be a few more, but I'll be back home just as soon as I can!
I really don't believe this will happen to me. I don't feel like Texas is my home, I cry when I have to leave North Carolina, that is my home now. Texas is not for everyone and sure isn't for me.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM

31 posts, read 83,489 times
I love NC: I couldnt agree more.

It is now time for me to start a new chapter in my life in Pittsburgh. Not everyone that leaves texas yearns for that big texas feeling again. Im sure there will be things that Ill miss, but thats life. There are many people that feel as we do.

When I look back at my life, it shows examples of that. I.e. when i grad. from high school i went to a university where none of my friends were going to. Not that I hated HS (i loved it) but I felt that part of my life was finished and a new chapter of good and bad experiences were in my future. Now that I have been out of college and supporting myself, I feel that its time to start a different journey and to make new memories, whatever they may be.

A lot of times it is hard to assimilate to another culture and some people dont like to get out of their comfort zone. Others, find it as a learning experience to broaden their horizons and to enhance their way of life.

To me, I have no better oportunity than now to reach for what I want most; to feel content and happiness. Im not happy in texas.

I strongly believe that life has so much possibility to be grand, its just the individual that choses which path to take. These opinions are strickly my own.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:07 PM

202 posts, read 810,143 times
I love NC too! I went to college there and hope to go back one day. I am going to visit in just couple weeks and can't wait!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,782,977 times
I have a cousin, native Texan from Dallas, who left for Tennessee and we barely see him any more Well, not really, but he loves Tennessee and will probably stay there for the rest of his life

Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 PM

20,554 posts, read 33,742,633 times
Change of scenery. Nothing was going on for me in Texas. I grew up in Killeen so I was ready to get out from the get-go. In high school I didn't think I would live in any other place in the US. I did want to live in one of the big cities in Texas though but it wasn't meant to be. I would like to go back but I'm not in a hurry to do so mostly because of the weather. I like snow and I dislike the heat. I also like urbanity but it is very exciting to see the Texas cities start to urbanize and densify. I do still love Texas though and am quick to stick up for it against people that has stereotypes about it. Surprisingly, many people here in the DC area has been to Texas and have many good things to say about it. But many others obviously don't.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,077,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
My email signature says it all:

Every Texan that has dared to cross the state line in his or her lifetime has returned disappointed and confused. The fact of the matter is there is no other state worth living in, or even traveling to, than the great State of Texas. So why would a Texan ever leave the state?
I know several native Texans up here in the Pacific Northwest who would never dream of moving back to Texas. They are all more than happy that they have made their lifelong home in Washington State.

Many years ago, back in the early 1980s I took a dream job in Texas. I was based in Houston and regularly traveled between Houston, Dallas and Austin. After the second year I had had enough of Texas and moved on.

I had always been fascinated by Texas, its people, culture and folkways, and to an extent I still am, it is just not a state that I would choose to live in again, and that is mainly due to the weather and the lack of "real" mountains.

I was born and raised in the shadow of the Cascade Mountains, and to me there is just nothing in Texas that can compare to their beauty and majesty...

Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 PM

283 posts, read 1,285,320 times
I love north Carolina said:
I haven't left yet, I look forward to day I can move because of the weather, I HATE the weather here. And I just prefer the scenery in East Tenn and Western NC more. I'm a native Texan, but leaving will be very easy for me.

and I love north Carolina said:
I love north Carolina said I guess I'll be the first to leave and be happy

I love north Carolina said: I really don't believe this will happen to me. I don't feel like Texas is my home, I cry when I have to leave North Carolina, that is my home now. Texas is not for everyone and sure isn't for me

Then, will you just GO ALREADY?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM

31 posts, read 83,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Way to be an ass.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,073,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
I love north Carolina said:
I haven't left yet, I look forward to day I can move because of the weather, I HATE the weather here. And I just prefer the scenery in East Tenn and Western NC more. I'm a native Texan, but leaving will be very easy for me.

I love north Carolina said I guess I'll be the first to leave and be happy

I love north Carolina said: I really don't believe this will happen to me. I don't feel like Texas is my home, I cry when I have to leave North Carolina, that is my home now. Texas is not for everyone and sure isn't for me

so what? doesn't that poster have a right to say that? really, just as he/she said, texas is just not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas