Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 12:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,610,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
as a wahingtontonian that moved to texas, I must agree with you on every point. I actually pulled out faster than you. The Cascades are magical. I have also lived in the Rocky Mountains, but I have to give the nod to the Cascades, as the Rocky montains are more like a skyline of snowey montains, where as the Cascades have those huge magestic Volcanoes. Texas might be Gods country, but he lives in the Pacific Northwest. Probably in Seattle. Sorry Dallas cowboys but that hole in the stadium is just letting out the cold air, God watches Sea Hawk Games and now has to go to Portland to catch a Blazzer game (curse you Oklahoma).
I take it you never ventured as far as Big Bend. I lived with a view of the Cascades out my window and, yes, they're beautiful. So are the mountains in Big Bend. Different, of course, but just as beautiful in their own way.

I got pregnant with my first while in Seattle and came screaming back to Texas convinced the baby would drown before it ever got born! (The relentless rain that winter just got to me - even when it wasn't raining, that didn't mean the sun was out, just meant the dripping was just from the trees.)

Don't get me wrong, I loved Seattle almost as much as Austin. But the variety of beauty here in Texas is more to my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 01:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,290,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I take it you never ventured as far as Big Bend. I lived with a view of the Cascades out my window and, yes, they're beautiful. So are the mountains in Big Bend. Different, of course, but just as beautiful in their own way.

I got pregnant with my first while in Seattle and came screaming back to Texas convinced the baby would drown before it ever got born! (The relentless rain that winter just got to me - even when it wasn't raining, that didn't mean the sun was out, just meant the dripping was just from the trees.)

Don't get me wrong, I loved Seattle almost as much as Austin. But the variety of beauty here in Texas is more to my taste.
Yes you are correct, I have not seen Big Bend. It might be very nice...I really am not qualified to judge. My experience is based on loving mountian ranges that I have seen.

In Order:
Swiss Alps
Cascades
Rockies
Ozarks
The mountian ranges of So Cal
Those cool mountains that look like the mars landscape around Phoenix

Im sorry if it sounded like I was dishing Texas, I was only feeling homesick for the Cascade Mountain ranges. Kinda miss that Oregon Coast too.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Here's Big Bend.

And here (http://www.imagesbykarol.com/KRP/Big%20Bend.htm - broken link).

And a few more views (and information).

Like I said, not the Cascades. But beautiful, nonetheless.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:32 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,290,566 times
Big bend nice in a desert sort of way.
http://www.photoseek.com/0609SAH_126-North-Cascades.jpg (broken link)
Still got to give it to the Cascades however, of course I only have the pics you sent, so Im still not that qualified

Old 09-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Wunderground has some lovely West Texas/Big Bend photos. (I post the links because of the copyright thing - don't think I could contact all those photographers to get permission to post their work here.)

Old 09-28-2008, 02:52 PM

779 posts, read 2,255,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
as a wahingtontonian that moved to texas, I must agree with you on every point. I actually pulled out faster than you. The Cascades are magical. I have also lived in the Rocky Mountains, but I have to give the nod to the Cascades, as the Rocky montains are more like a skyline of snowey montains, where as the Cascades have those huge magestic Volcanoes. Texas might be Gods country, but he lives in the Pacific Northwest. Probably in Seattle. Sorry Dallas cowboys but that hole in the stadium is just letting out the cold air, God watches Sea Hawk Games and now has to go to Portland to catch a Blazzer game (curse you Oklahoma).
Excuse me? Curse you Oklahoma? Was that what you said? No no, ha ha, I'm just playing around.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,472 times
Default Why i left texas

As a little kid i knew i would leave texas,something that i dreamt about,maybe the sand,beach,blue water,just waking up knowing the atlantic ocean was there,now 30yrs later i guess i'm starting to miss home maybe old age .something kept me here long enough to say to my wife and kids it's time we leave and search for a new home.my daughters have mentioned texas without me saying/spoken a word of texas.well maybe soon!i'll get home some day.bye the way i live in south florida.left a small town in north texas just outside of amarillo(friona)pop.just under 3000.only been back once during that time.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:43 PM

That is what Texas will do to you. For most, they will leave for whatever the reason, school, job promotion, etc. and will miss that beautiful state and want to go back, and I cannot blame you. I don't even live in Texas (I'm from Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains) and I feel like I grew up in Texas and want to move back from Oklahoma. It's insane. No disrespect to Oklahoma, because it is a nice place to live, but not as nice as Texas IMO.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Man, I don't know if I could leave Texas after living there. Every time I visit, I dread having to leave for Oklahoma.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:27 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,786,729 times
the truth
rigid class system. if i was there i would be pumping gas still.
life is good here.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 10-05-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas