Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 07:05 PM

469 posts, read 1,452,738 times

Advertisements

I am leaving Texas because my only 2 choices (as far as my husband's work goes) are Houston (Sugar Land) and Pennsylvania.
I am originally from north Texas. I would love to live there again. Or anywhere in Texas besides Houston. It has sucked the life out of me.
I have lived in TX (north Texas, El Paso, Marfa,) Georgia, South Carolina, Arizona and Michigan. Houston is the WORST place I have lived.
I will leave Texas because of my strong dislike of houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM

243 posts, read 487,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
I am leaving Texas because my only 2 choices (as far as my husband's work goes) are Houston (Sugar Land) and Pennsylvania.
I am originally from north Texas. I would love to live there again. Or anywhere in Texas besides Houston. It has sucked the life out of me.
I have lived in TX (north Texas, El Paso, Marfa,) Georgia, South Carolina, Arizona and Michigan. Houston is the WORST place I have lived.
I will leave Texas because of my strong dislike of houston.
Every place is what you make it. If all you do is complain about it then of course you'll get a negative vibe. Life is all about relationships. If I lived in Marfa (not my idea of a good place to live) but found some really good friends, had a good job and led an overall happy life then I'd probably think Marfa was OK. You must have had some bad experiences in H-Town to be so negative about it. It can't just be the weather and traffic...

Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM

779 posts, read 2,248,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Ok, I know when Im licked, I guess I will let you guys love your state. I thought the site was called "why I left texas, not why I should move to Texas. There are those of us who left texas for more reasons than just money reasons. Paying a little more tends to get you a little more, if your into the west coast life stle. Personally, as stated, Im a Washington state fan. I tried Texas, it just seemed like such a foreign counrty to me, that I felt I had to find my way home.
I know I sound redundant, but to properly respond to the thread question, I would say, as a visitor who is seeking for another city to relocate and to spend the rest of my days, I left Texas to complete my college education in Oklahoma, as well as work on the side, before making reservations to move to Dallas as my final destination for residence, work, and play.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:03 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Every place is what you make it. If all you do is complain about it then of course you'll get a negative vibe. Life is all about relationships. If I lived in Marfa (not my idea of a good place to live) but found some really good friends, had a good job and led an overall happy life then I'd probably think Marfa was OK. You must have had some bad experiences in H-Town to be so negative about it. It can't just be the weather and traffic...
Actually, I think it could be weather and traffic even though the poster from Houston didn't mention that in the post above. Maybe you read it elsewhere, but anyway........Those are two things that people very often don't like about an area. I know for a fact that I would not like living in Houston because of the weather even if my entire family were there. I would choose Marfa over Houston; the weather is much better and actually, so is the traffic.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,389,846 times
I dont understand what you mean by "nanny state" for nurses in California, unless you are referring to the fact that nurses are unionized in California.
what i do know is that nurses are paid VERY well in California, and their rights are protected because they are union. nurseatient ratios are better, meaning better working conditions for nurses, and better nursing care for patients. but that being said, cost of living guaranteed outweighs the high salaries (plus income tax). a prison nurse for the California Dept of Corrections starts out at around $7800/month. but look at the housing and land prices. plus deduct state income tax and union dues. i make $35/hour as a prison nurse (part time) here in Texas, and i can buy a house in the town i work in, for as low as $30K, or lower, and a pretty nice one for 50-70K, some with land! my coworker's mortgage is under $300/month, and working as an RN, coming out way ahead. i bet you cant find a house with a mortgage payment that low in California!!
oh and with regards to nursing...all nurses, regardless of the state they live in, are governed by the Nurse Practice Act and the bylaws of their particular state. so any violations of such are subject to revocation of license, or possible involuntary surrender of licensure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Once upon a time here in Texas most of our grocery store workers were union. Not anymore. Not that I'm totally against unions as my dad is a Teamster and my husband worked in the grocery industry thru high school and college. He made great money at it as well. Beats flipping burgers with the other 16 year olds. Currently, California and Nevada do still have union workers in the grocery stores. But are they REALLY making enough to buy a house in a nice area in California?

Mattress commission sales. Are you talking at the retail level on all of the mattress stores? Or are you talking about company reps for the big name manufacturers? I happen to know one personally very well. He has lived in Texas, Washington and on the East Coast. They prefer Texas as it has been easier for his travel needs. Their money goes MUCH further here and he gets the SAME commission the guys on the West Coast get.

Nursing. Again this is another job in California that has the HEAVY "nanny state" hand in on it. NO THANKS! I do NOT want a nurse working on me or my family at a hospital that the hospital can NOT fire if they are suspected of ANY wrongdoing. NO THANK YOU!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:16 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,175,832 times
I left Texas because that was where I was when I was honorably discharged from the Army. (Ft Hood)
If I had been born and raised in Texas I might never have left that state.
I liked the wide open spaces and the people.
I have nothing against Texas. I would even like to go back there again to visit someday.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 AM

469 posts, read 1,452,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Actually, I think it could be weather and traffic even though the poster from Houston didn't mention that in the post above. Maybe you read it elsewhere, but anyway........Those are two things that people very often don't like about an area. I know for a fact that I would not like living in Houston because of the weather even if my entire family were there. I would choose Marfa over Houston; the weather is much better and actually, so is the traffic.
I am so happy I am not the only one who feels this way! I actually loved living in Marfa, it is a beautiful area with wonderful weather! Also, I prefer small towns, and that one was about the friendliest town I have ever known.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,947 times
Quote:
I am so happy I am not the only one who feels this way! I actually loved living in Marfa, it is a beautiful area with wonderful weather! Also, I prefer small towns, and that one was about the friendliest town I have ever known.
No wonder you don't enjoy Houston. If you like small towns, Houston most definitely does not qualify.

I had never heard of Marfa so I looked it up to see if it would make a good day trip. 8 hours from Sugar Land! Guess I won't be visiting Marfa any time soon...

Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
No wonder you don't enjoy Houston. If you like small towns, Houston most definitely does not qualify.

I had never heard of Marfa so I looked it up to see if it would make a good day trip. 8 hours from Sugar Land! Guess I won't be visiting Marfa any time soon...
Big or small towns, there are many in Texas that are downright too hot and humid and many people don't care for that. Of course, when winter arrives, we've got it made in many parts of Texas. What I'm saying is weather can really be a factor of liking or not liking an area. Lots of people who will be buried in snow this winter hate where they live.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA posts often and if you've ever read her posts, you will read how much she dislikes the weather in Houston. I don't think she'd mind me using her name. Weather is important to many of us.

I visited the Marfa/Alpine/Ft. Davis area a few years ago and people were quite friendly.

I've never lived where snow is plentiful, so I really don't know if that would be worse or better than the relentless summer heat in Texas. I do prefer cold weather though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas