Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 03:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times

Advertisements

There's a difference between being hyper pro-gay for show (and votes) and being outright anti-gay. And I have yet to hear of anyone being denied housing or a job here because they are gay.

There are numerous elected officials in Dallas alone who are openly gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 03:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,160,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
See, for all the laws against homosexuality or churches, I still don't see how you're not allowed to be gay or tormented for being gay any more than people are in any other part of the country.
Acceptance is a very hard thing to gauge. I have been told that I am more accepted because I am more straight acting even though I am open about my sexuality...

I think its a subtle and a not-so-subtle thing. While gay marriage/ partner benefits which you can have in large cities like Boston and small towns in the Northeast, are an obvious sign of acceptance (and equality), there are many more subtle signs of acceptance. You never hear about a gay bashing in the Northeast (There have been a few in Austin over the last couple of years). You rarely get damned to hell by a church. Barney Frank's title is not always preceded with the "Openly Gay Representative."

I think the most subtle thing about the acceptance elsewhere is the fact that sexuality is a non-issue. I don't think you could make that claim about Texas.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:38 PM

I just put 'gay bashing new england' into google and came back with a bunch of hits.

I think that publicizing that doesn't give as much impact as publicizing something like that happening in what is considered by some a 'southern' state.

Black guy gets jacked in New York...no biggie...down here it's because he was black. Thanks, media.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
There's a difference between being hyper pro-gay for show (and votes) and being outright anti-gay. And I have yet to hear of anyone being denied housing or a job here because they are gay.

There are numerous elected officials in Dallas alone who are openly gay.
Hyper Pro Gay? For Votes. Thanks for providing the exact example you requested. Your assumptions are routed in some level of anti-gay thought...

The fact that you think signing in to law legal provisions that prevent the same discrimination against gays that practically EVERY other minority group has enjoyed for years is HYPER pro gay (for votes) is to some degree homophobic.

Texas has no such law on the books.

In addition every gay couple in Texas who would like to make their relationship legal and contractual is denied that opportunity under state law. I do know of cases where people have been denied jobs for being too "flamboyant". Housing? Who knows? You can deny housing for lots of reasons. I'm sure it happens, just like it happens to African Americans and Hispanic Americans.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I just put 'gay bashing new england' into google and came back with a bunch of hits.

I think that publicizing that doesn't give as much impact as publicizing something like that happening in what is considered by some a 'southern' state.

Black guy gets jacked in New York...no biggie...down here it's because he was black. Thanks, media.
Ok, well I guess with the way you think, Texas is FAR more progressive on gay issues than the Northeast or New York? If you want to extol the conservative virtues of your state, don't simultaneously pretend its a progressive place for minority groups.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:42 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,996,457 times
Absolutely! And this is even more true when you live in other countries that have a more accepting attitude, like Canada (where my partner and I were married) or the UK (where our Canadian marriage is treated as a civil partnership under British law). It's a non-issue, and you can't say that about Texas and troglodytes like Warren Chisum (is he still a state legislator from Pampa?).

Old 09-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ok, well I guess with the way you think, Texas is FAR more progressive on gay issues than the Northeast or New York? If you want to extol the conservative virtues of your state, don't simultaneously pretend its a progressive place for minority groups.
I never said that it was super progressive and just like super-duper-awesome places like New York. But it's not Saudi Arabia or the like (as some people I have met from the Northeast would have you believe).

Being 'more progressive' only matters if it actually gives you some sort of real advantage applicable in real life.

There is nothing I can't get, can't be a part of, can't go to, etc, because I live here that I could if I lived up there.
I get insurance benefits through my partner's company, those hate-filled, bible-thumping church monsters you refer to are my neighbors, my friends, and even my business partners, I live where I want, I go where I want, I do what I want...

Old 09-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I never said that it was super progressive and just like super-duper-awesome places like New York. But it's not Saudi Arabia
Well, I guess if you use Saudi Arabia as your reference point on social justice and human rights issues, then, Texas must seem like a panacea!

Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Well, I guess if you use Saudi Arabia as your reference point on social justice and human rights issues, then, Texas must seem like a panacea!
Lol...I didn't want to bash on other southern states...my point is, people make up and exaggerate crap all the time. The gay folks I know who left Texas weren't mad that they weren't accepted for being gay. They were mad that they weren't allowed to be obnoxious a-holes...and then used discrimination as the excuse. You live in Austin; you know what I'm talking about.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:59 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,996,457 times
I lived in Austin and I don't know what you're talking about, I'm afraid. However, the reason I left Texas had nothing to do with gay issues per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas