Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,063,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I said it all in good fun....besides I did mention that there are exceptions to the rule. I like you folks alot, would never want to offend you in a serious tone. Ill never step inside your state as long as I live or can keep from being dragged, but that has Nothing to do with Texans (although y'all do drive like maniacs).
oops ... sorry....

yeah ... will agree with you on the driving..... and i learned to drive in houston....

but i think the drivers in boston are even scarier........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM

62 posts, read 143,766 times
I left Texas many years ago to go to college. With the exception of Rice University, Texas simply lacks institutions that can match the academic caliber of those on the US Eastern Seaboard. A classic case of Sunbelt "college drain". Graduate school was the same thing, writ large.

This is a minor phenomenon in most sunbelt states - certainly those West of the Mississippi and East of California. Texas in particular has a superior higher education system compared to Colorado or Arizona, but is clearly inferior to California (at least while their public universities are still solvent). I don't see this changing in our lifetimes; the reputations of such unviersities are established over centuries, and no binge-spending on state schools will fix reputation overnight.

As fate would have it, my firm has seen fit many years later to transfer me to a Texas office. If our current economic predicament has done anything cathartic, it has rudely jarred millions of people living a credit-fueled life of leisure back to reality. Texas truly is a safe-haven for the US economy, and is experiencing the commensurate population growth that goes with relative prosperity (while California and Florida shrink). I can understand people leaving Texas on account of the weather or not agreeing with the predominate lifestyle of Texas, just as I could understand the allure that a $450,000 interest-only mortgage in San Bernardino held for someone earning $38,000 a year back in 2005. Now more than ever, people follow the money.

I left Texas for a somewhat common reason, and came back for a very common reason. Honestly, it was not my strong desire to come back, but things are quite good here, and I can easily check those unfounded and phony pretensions of cultural superiority at the door.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,941,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I agree, granted California is a beautiful state but I have a hard time understanding why the homes cost so much. My friends house is only 2100 sq feet, smallest yard I have ever seen. The house looks really small, I have seen houses here at 2100 sq feet and they don't look so dinky. But the house was worth 800k, now 450k. The floors in his house are all linioloum, prefab showers and tubs no tile and formica counter tops. he took a 2nd mortage on it and now can't even pay it. He is does landscape for a living and business has slowed down a lot.

He just got a foreclosure notice the other day. He was trying to hold on to the house for as long as he could. California is a crazy place to live.
California is a crazy place to live.

It was not always as crazy as it is now. Somewhere the state lost its way. It is sad for me to see what is going on there. I have family and friends there that are finding it real tough. I got out while the getting was good, and feel so lucky to have done so. We sold our 2100 sq. ft. house in Irvine, CA to a young couple for $800,000. I feel sorry for them because it will be 10 years before it will be worth what they paid for it. The days of people making $$$$ in the CA housing market are gone.

CA is indeed beautiful and we miss the beach but we go to Florida from time to time. The beaches in the Pensecola area make CA beaches look drab. Unfortunately it is not a 15 minute drive like it was in CA.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,154 times
I love that area thats where im from marfa

Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,285,180 times
Why I Left Texas?

The re-election of Ricky Perry.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,089,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Why I Left Texas?

The re-election of Ricky Perry.
Good reason!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,958,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I guess I'll be the first to leave and be happy
I know this post is old ILNC, and I love Texas, despite the damned Summers, lol.

But, I hope that you fulfill your dream and move to North Carolina. You're a good soul, and I truly want you to be happy. I am not being sarcastic in saying this.

I know that you'll be able to fulfill that dream one day; hopefully soon. You have nothing but good wishes from this person who loves Texas friend.

North Carolina is a beautiful place and I can understand why you would want to go there. I could live there as well and be very, very happy.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,958,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
I am a native Texan who left in 2000 because of my now ex husband. Have been back and forth every couple of years since but am looking forward to finally moving back for good next year.

I am from Lewisville originally but this time will make my home in Lubbock.

Oregon is beautiful but it is nothing compared to Texas!

I LIKE Lubbock. If I ever move, it will probably be to West Texas or maybe to Marfa. Texas is a fantastic place. It's not for everyone, but it is for me. And I am not a native Texan, although it is my home and probably will be for the rest of my life.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 AM

198 posts, read 500,245 times
Haven't left yet, still have a year.

my #1 reason is that I cannot tolerate the summers here.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM

795 posts, read 1,588,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
California is a crazy place to live.

It was not always as crazy as it is now. Somewhere the state lost its way. It is sad for me to see what is going on there. I have family and friends there that are finding it real tough.
Yeah, I agree. California was a good state to live in at one time. Not anymore. My family is here in Texas but I have friends that I call back in California once in awhile and they all say they want to leave and move to another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas