Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 06:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Err, what? You spent 2 weeks in Houston and suddenly you're an expert? So because I've spent a few weeks in Dallas I suppose I should make a long elaborate post injecting reality into the ridiculous claims about Dallas?
Ha! Ive spent at least one week in Houston every month for the last 7 years for work and to see my Dad.

Those claims aren't ridiculous, just injecting some reality into this thread.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:22 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ha! Ive spent at least one week in Houston every month for the last 7 years for work and to see my Dad.

Those claims aren't ridiculous, just injecting some reality into this thread.
I'm not saying your claims are ridiculous, I'm saying some of the pro-Dallas claims are ridiculous. We are all entitled to our own opinion, and like JL I look forward to seeing your opinions on Houstons progress as you get to know it better. You failed to mention Rice Village though for walkable areas..? That's one of the best. IMO uptown Dallas has some nice walkable patches of urbanity but some of it is just as suburban as the older developments in uptown Houston.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:38 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,457 times
Quote:
I'm not saying your claims are ridiculous, I'm saying some of the pro-Dallas claims are ridiculous. We are all entitled to our own opinion, and like JL I look forward to seeing your opinions on Houstons progress as you get to know it better. You failed to mention Rice Village though for walkable areas..? That's one of the best. IMO uptown Dallas has some nice walkable patches of urbanity but some of it is just as suburban as the older developments in uptown Houston.
What? These are some of the things you say that make people literally

Rice Village is similar to Snyder Plaza, Knox/Henderson, Lakewood Village, Mockingbird Station, or Preston Center, but honestly not as nice as any of those areas.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post

Rice Village is similar to Snyder Plaza, Knox/Henderson, Lakewood Village, Mockingbird Station, or Preston Center, but honestly not as nice as any of those areas.
I never said it was a large area? He mentioned "walkable areas", and the small confines around Village Arcade and Hanover Rice Village are prime spots for pedestrian activity. I'm sorry you misunderstood me..?

And forgive me for preferring somewhere with character that wasn't plastic created out of thin air in the last 10 years.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:06 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,457 times
Quote:
I never said it was a large area? He mentioned "walkable areas", and the small confines around Village Arcade and Hanover Rice Village are prime spots for pedestrian activity. I'm sorry you misunderstood me..?

And forgive me for preferring somewhere with character that wasn't plastic created out of thin air in the last 10 years.
Snyder Plaza, Preston Center, Knox/Henderson, and Lakewood Village are all old, all walkable, and certainly were not created in the last 10 years. Plus, I didn't even add Inwood Village/Lovers Lane to that list or Highland Park Village, but they are both nicer as well. You really need to learn more about BOTH cities before you try to compare them, it doesn't make Houston look good when you do it.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-12-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,574 times
Quote:

Indeed.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Snyder Plaza, Preston Center, Knox/Henderson, and Lakewood Village are all old, all walkable, and certainly were not created in the last 10 years. Plus, I didn't even add Inwood Village/Lovers Lane to that list or Highland Park Village, but they are both nicer as well. You really need to learn more about BOTH cities before you try to compare them, it doesn't make Houston look good when you do it.
Sorry I spent most of my time in uptown Dallas and areas around SMU. Im not familiar with every one of those random areas you listed, but I don't pretend to know everything about Dallas. Not sure why you are making these false accusations?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:04 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
I havent visited the abyss of BS that is this thread, but Ill going to throw in again.

Ive been a long time Dallas poster. I found out last week that I will be moving to Houston in the next 2 months to work down there to be close to my dad who lives in Sugar Land. Ive been in Houston for the last two weeks making preparations. Im going to go through what I feel are some true and false statements said over the years about the two on this forum:

1) Houston is a better eating city than Dallas: This is true, though Dallas does have the edge in fine dining. Both have pretty much every ethnic food known to man, but Houston has a one up when it comes to creative dining and regional cuisine.

2) Houston is more international than Dallas: This is true though few people in Dallas would dispute this.

3) Houston is more walkable than Dallas: I find this completely false. I cannot, for the life of me, find one neighborhood in Houston that is as pedestrian friendly as Uptown Dallas and believe me Ive been all over this city looking for a place to live for the last two weeks. In fact, its probably one of the least pedistrian friendly cities I know outside Midtown, Hermann Park, and parts of the Washington Ave corridor.

4) Houston is more interesting than Dallas: This is true, but there is good and bad that goes with this. The good is that youll never be surprised here, the bad is that its harder to find a place to live (for me). In Dallas, if you want to buy a house in town you dont have to worry about "Jose's Tire Shop" on one side of you and a delapidated shack on the other side of you.

5) Houston is just lack Atlanta for black people: I dont see this at all. Granted Im not black, but in Atlanta in any setting, you can find large numbers of black professionals and upper class blacks. Houston is not like that though that doesnt mean Houston isnt a popular destination for black professionals, but I find the references to Atlanta comical. Houston is far more diverse than Atlanta so maybe thats why.

6) Dallas is more country than Houston: To me, Houston is more international, more country, and more Southern at the same time. There are definately more people in pick up trucks here, though I see less suburbans. Dallas is more American. Houston is the international city with the international populace, Dallas is the American city with a large international populace.

7) People in Dallas dress up more: Im not sure about this one either. People in Houston can be really dressy too. Dallas is more fashion forward though.

8) You dont need heat or AC in Houston: Whoever said this has lost their mind.

I love both cities, but some reality needs to be injected.
Exactly! So why have an opinion when you're not black and don't see what we as blacks see? And why are you concerned anyway when you're not black? What do you get outta this?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Exactly! So why have an opinion when you're not black and don't see what we as blacks see? And why are you concerned anyway when you're not black? What do you get outta this?
You don't have to be black to notice how many blacks you see around a city. He just said Houston is not like Atlanta when it comes to blacks.....the same as a black person noticing how "white" a city is.

Your post was out of tact......

Old 03-13-2015, 08:05 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
I havent visited the abyss of BS that is this thread, but Ill going to throw in again.

Ive been a long time Dallas poster. I found out last week that I will be moving to Houston in the next 2 months to work down there to be close to my dad who lives in Sugar Land. Ive been in Houston for the last two weeks making preparations. Im going to go through what I feel are some true and false statements said over the years about the two on this forum:

1) Houston is a better eating city than Dallas: This is true, though Dallas does have the edge in fine dining. Both have pretty much every ethnic food known to man, but Houston has a one up when it comes to creative dining and regional cuisine.

2) Houston is more international than Dallas: This is true though few people in Dallas would dispute this.

3) Houston is more walkable than Dallas: I find this completely false. I cannot, for the life of me, find one neighborhood in Houston that is as pedestrian friendly as Uptown Dallas and believe me Ive been all over this city looking for a place to live for the last two weeks. In fact, its probably one of the least pedistrian friendly cities I know outside Midtown, Hermann Park, and parts of the Washington Ave corridor.

4) Houston is more interesting than Dallas: This is true, but there is good and bad that goes with this. The good is that youll never be surprised here, the bad is that its harder to find a place to live (for me). In Dallas, if you want to buy a house in town you dont have to worry about "Jose's Tire Shop" on one side of you and a delapidated shack on the other side of you.

5) Houston is just lack Atlanta for black people: I dont see this at all. Granted Im not black, but in Atlanta in any setting, you can find large numbers of black professionals and upper class blacks. Houston is not like that though that doesnt mean Houston isnt a popular destination for black professionals, but I find the references to Atlanta comical. Houston is far more diverse than Atlanta so maybe thats why.

6) Dallas is more country than Houston: To me, Houston is more international, more country, and more Southern at the same time. There are definately more people in pick up trucks here, though I see less suburbans. Dallas is more American. Houston is the international city with the international populace, Dallas is the American city with a large international populace.

7) People in Dallas dress up more: Im not sure about this one either. People in Houston can be really dressy too. Dallas is more fashion forward though.

8) You dont need heat or AC in Houston: Whoever said this has lost their mind.

I love both cities, but some reality needs to be injected.
Ah, you coming to the dark side now. Hope you have fun here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas