Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,530,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Thanks Jack...TT was trying to make it seem like I was twisting peoples words.
I'm not really sure why you are thanking me. I said you were misguided by basing a belief that a whole city has a inferiority complex based on a 2 minute fluff piece from the local PBS station ? Please explain the gratitude.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:30 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,476,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'm not really sure why you are thanking me. I said you were misguided by basing a belief that a whole city has a inferiority complex based on a 2 minute fluff piece from the local PBS station ? Please explain the gratitude.
It was just a little sarcasm with that thanks...Because if he knew it was a "Fluff" piece he wouldnt have posted it...He posted it as confirmation of Houston being the better city

Old 03-12-2015, 03:34 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,476,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
are you basing that off the reporters question around :10-:20 in the video? that was saying before it might have been a contest, but now Houston can make the claim as the clear winner. don't try to twist words like usual.. the "drastic hate" you feel might have to do with outsiders general ignorance towards Houston.
hmmm.....Does this really make any since in response to the hate houstonians have towards Dallas that I was speaking about???

Please explain

Old 03-12-2015, 03:40 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,496,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dChjD11U-dk

Houston was featured on the series 'Waterfront Cities of the World' a few years back.
If I were from Houston, I wouldn't want that video to be an outsiders first view of Houston. It's long slow and boring, they also sort of brag about strange things, like the sprawl, and at the end when the old guy talks about how many illegal aliens are in Houston. The only part I liked was the guy in charge of the rodeo, you could tell he was the only one who had any experience with public relations. The others really struggled to come up with things to say, and just spouted random facts about Houston.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dChjD11U-dk

Houston was featured on the series 'Waterfront Cities of the World' a few years back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
If I were from Houston, I wouldn't want that video to be an outsiders first view of Houston. It's long slow and boring, they also sort of brag about strange things, like the sprawl, and at the end when the old guy talks about how many illegal aliens are in Houston. The only part I liked was the guy in charge of the rodeo, you could tell he was the only one who had any experience with public relations. The others really struggled to come up with things to say, and just spouted random facts about Houston.
I don't know, I kinda liked it. I thought it spent way too much time on the Rodeo and I kinda cringed when at the end she called Houston a "Cowboy" city ekkk. Also there were a couple of glaring inaccuracies , first Houston was picked as the site for the Manned Spacecraft Center before the Johnson administration and the process for selecting a site was set in motion during the Eisenhower years. Secondly they claimed that only 20% of Houstonians speak English fluently which is a ridiculously low estimate, which I think goes to Ronnie's point about "undocumented workers"

Old 03-12-2015, 04:35 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,575,646 times
Quote:
It was just a little sarcasm with that thanks...Because if he knew it was a "Fluff" piece he wouldnt have posted it...He posted it as confirmation of Houston being the better city
What are you talking about? I posted a couple videos because yall keep spamming the thread with silly pro Dallas videos. You seriously think I'm putting so much weight in that one video that I'm proclaiming it alone proves Houstons superiority?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,804,923 times
I havent visited the abyss of BS that is this thread, but Ill going to throw in again.

Ive been a long time Dallas poster. I found out last week that I will be moving to Houston in the next 2 months to work down there to be close to my dad who lives in Sugar Land. Ive been in Houston for the last two weeks making preparations. Im going to go through what I feel are some true and false statements said over the years about the two on this forum:

1) Houston is a better eating city than Dallas: This is true, though Dallas does have the edge in fine dining. Both have pretty much every ethnic food known to man, but Houston has a one up when it comes to creative dining and regional cuisine.

2) Houston is more international than Dallas: This is true though few people in Dallas would dispute this.

3) Houston is more walkable than Dallas: I find this completely false. I cannot, for the life of me, find one neighborhood in Houston that is as pedestrian friendly as Uptown Dallas and believe me Ive been all over this city looking for a place to live for the last two weeks. In fact, its probably one of the least pedistrian friendly cities I know outside Midtown, Hermann Park, and parts of the Washington Ave corridor.

4) Houston is more interesting than Dallas: This is true, but there is good and bad that goes with this. The good is that youll never be surprised here, the bad is that its harder to find a place to live (for me). In Dallas, if you want to buy a house in town you dont have to worry about "Jose's Tire Shop" on one side of you and a delapidated shack on the other side of you.

5) Houston is just lack Atlanta for black people: I dont see this at all. Granted Im not black, but in Atlanta in any setting, you can find large numbers of black professionals and upper class blacks. Houston is not like that though that doesnt mean Houston isnt a popular destination for black professionals, but I find the references to Atlanta comical. Houston is far more diverse than Atlanta so maybe thats why.

6) Dallas is more country than Houston: To me, Houston is more international, more country, and more Southern at the same time. There are definately more people in pick up trucks here, though I see less suburbans. Dallas is more American. Houston is the international city with the international populace, Dallas is the American city with a large international populace.

7) People in Dallas dress up more: Im not sure about this one either. People in Houston can be really dressy too. Dallas is more fashion forward though.

8) You dont need heat or AC in Houston: Whoever said this has lost their mind.

I love both cities, but some reality needs to be injected.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I havent visited the abyss of BS that is this thread, but Ill going to throw in again.

Ive been a long time Dallas poster. I found out last week that I will be moving to Houston in the next 2 months to work down there to be close to my dad who lives in Sugar Land. Ive been in Houston for the last two weeks making preparations. Im going to go through what I feel are some true and false statements said over the years about the two on this forum:

1) Houston is a better eating city than Dallas: This is true, though Dallas does have the edge in fine dining. Both have pretty much every ethnic food known to man, but Houston has a one up when it comes to creative dining and regional cuisine.

2) Houston is more international than Dallas: This is true though few people in Dallas would dispute this.

3) Houston is more walkable than Dallas: I find this completely false. I cannot, for the life of me, find one neighborhood in Houston that is as pedestrian friendly as Uptown Dallas and believe me Ive been all over this city looking for a place to live for the last two weeks. In fact, its probably one of the least pedistrian friendly cities I know outside Midtown, Hermann Park, and parts of the Washington Ave corridor.

4) Houston is more interesting than Dallas: This is true, but there is good and bad that goes with this. The good is that youll never be surprised here, the bad is that its harder to find a place to live (for me). In Dallas, if you want to buy a house in town you dont have to worry about "Jose's Tire Shop" on one side of you and a delapidated shack on the other side of you.

5) Houston is just lack Atlanta for black people: I dont see this at all. Granted Im not black, but in Atlanta in any setting, you can find large numbers of black professionals and upper class blacks. Houston is not like that though that doesnt mean Houston isnt a popular destination for black professionals, but I find the references to Atlanta comical. Houston is far more diverse than Atlanta so maybe thats why.

6) Dallas is more country than Houston: To me, Houston is more international, more country, and more Southern at the same time. There are definately more people in pick up trucks here, though I see less suburbans. Dallas is more American. Houston is the international city with the international populace, Dallas is the American city with a large international populace.

7) People in Dallas dress up more: Im not sure about this one either. People in Houston can be really dressy too. Dallas is more fashion forward though.

8) You dont need heat or AC in Houston: Whoever said this has lost their mind.

Welcome home to Houston Peter. It will be interesting to see how your attitude towards the two cities evolves in the coming months as you adjust to living in Houston

Old 03-12-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
hmmm.....Does this really make any since in response to the hate houstonians have towards Dallas that I was speaking about???

Please explain
I wasn't aware Houstonians had "hate" toward Dallas, we just get tired of ignorance being spouted about our city..

Old 03-12-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Err, what? You spent 2 weeks in Houston and suddenly you're an expert? So because I've spent a few weeks in Dallas I suppose I should make a long elaborate post injecting reality into the ridiculous claims about Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas