Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 07:31 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,622,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Yep! It's insane how on fire Houston is right now. I know we lead the nation in job growth, but obviously that's not a direct correlation to the building construction because I dont think dfw is that far behind Houston in that regard, yet we have almost 3 times as much office construction. What gives?
Seriously, this isn't meant as a slight on Houston... but if Houston is the job-growth leader of the nation, then why is it #10 in this list?

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

I'm no economist, but shouldn't a "job-growth leader" have the lowest unemployment rate?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:47 PM

385 posts, read 971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

I'm no economist, but shouldn't a "job-growth leader" have the lowest unemployment rate?

No. there are other factors to consider. Previous unemployment rates, number of new residents that came for employment, percentage of population that are unemployed by choice, etc.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:16 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,587,411 times
Thanks for answering that tebor.

Btw Houston is the largest city in the top 10. No other city/metro of comparable size has an unemployment rate as low.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Btw Houston is the largest city in the top 10. No other city/metro of comparable size has an unemployment rate as low.
OK, but that list is for MSA's, not city-proper. Though I checked the city-proper's rating, and it was exactly the same as the MSA.

Once again, not trying to cast Houston in a harsh light here. Just trying to gain a better understanding of this whole "job-growth vs unemployment rate" thing. Tebor helped with that.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
OK, but that list is for MSA's, not city-proper. Though I checked the city-proper's rating, and it was exactly the same as the MSA.

Once again, not trying to cast Houston in a harsh light here. Just trying to gain a better understanding of this whole "job-growth vs unemployment rate" thing. Tebor helped with that.
So? Greater Houston is still the biggest MSA in the top 10. The only one close is San fran/Oakland, which is tied with Houston at number 10 for unemployment.

It would be interesting to compare Houstons unemployment rate before 2008 with other metros, in relation to how Houston compares to other MSAs now.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Now if Houston could just lead on quality of life and get rid of the horrible humidity, it may become a desirable place. LOL.
You realize Houston destroys Dallas in quality of life, right? Do we really need to get into this again.. And Houstons weather is more moderate than Dallas' extremes. Dallas has more more miserable heat and chilling cold.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 PM

6,790 posts, read 10,061,110 times
Quote:
You realize Houston destroys Dallas in quality of life, right? Do we really need to get into this again.. And Houstons weather is more moderate than Dallas' extremes. Dallas has more more miserable heat and chilling cold.
I'd rather have Dallas' climate over Houston's....

Old 10-26-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ehh.. It's all preference I guess/what you're used too. Though Dallas has worse weather over all since its summers are just as bad/slightly worse than Houstons and it's winters are more miserable with the snow and ice. I guess you like the extremes?

Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
So? Greater Houston is still the biggest MSA in the top 10. The only one close is San fran/Oakland, which is tied with Houston at number 10 for unemployment.
So... nothing. Just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Quote:
Ehh.. It's all preference I guess/what you're used too. Though Dallas has worse weather over all since its summers are just as bad/slightly worse than Houstons and it's winters are more miserable with the snow and ice. I guess you like the extremes?
Please... not the weather thing again. The differences are so slight and insignificant that it really doesn't mean much.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
So... nothing. Just an observation.

Please... not the weather thing again. The differences are so slight and insignificant that it really doesn't mean much.
Ah, ok. So given the fact it's the largest MSA (by almost 2 million people) in the top 10 of that list, I'd say the unemployment rate is pretty dang good.. Especially considering we're adding near as many people to the metro every year as we're adding jobs. If no one was moving here, and we were still the number one job creator then I'm sure your assumption of us being the lowest unemployment rate in the country would be correct.

Agreed, it's really pathetic when Dallasites bring up Houstons humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas