Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,038,926 times

Advertisements

I wonder out of San Antonio or Dallas which one will hit 2 million in city population first. As old as San Antonio is I'm surprised it isn't bigger than Houston.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I wonder out of San Antonio or Dallas which one will hit 2 million in city population first. As old as San Antonio is I'm surprised it isn't bigger than Houston.
I'd place my bet on San Antonio. It just has more land area and can continue to annex, Dallas is growing faster than in previous years but it can only build up.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:13 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
not the most recent videos, but informative and interesting none the less..

So going by the 2nd video it seems that Houston has always felt inferior to Dallas and now houstonians feel like Houston is just now becoming comparable....wow this explains the drastic hate towards Dallas...its ingrown.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:36 AM

Anybody from Houston know what the area is doing to grab a bigger share of the shipping sector. I have been keeping up with the current labor disputes on the West Coast and have heard the damages they are causing could be permanent. This is a perfect opportunity for the port in Houston to increase traffic. Would certainly help counter the oil downturn. I have read that Savannah has been gaining alot of traffic as well as other eastern ports because of it.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Anybody from Houston know what the area is doing to grab a bigger share of the shipping sector. I have been keeping up with the current labor disputes on the West Coast and have heard the damages they are causing could be permanent. This is a perfect opportunity for the port in Houston to increase traffic. Would certainly help counter the oil downturn. I have read that Savannah has been gaining alot of traffic as well as other eastern ports because of it.
They're deepening the channel from 40 to 45 ft to accommodate the larger container ships they expect from the widening of the Panama Canal. In the short term I don't think there is anything they can do. The east coast ports were just accidental beneficiaries of this labor dispute. At this time the alternative is to circumnavigate the globe and approach the US from the Atlantic instead of the direct shot to the west coast and that makes ports like Savannah and Virginia more attractive than Gulf Coast ports...

Old 03-12-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
They're deepening the channel from 40 to 45 ft to accommodate the larger container ships they expect from the widening of the Panama Canal. In the short term I don't think there is anything they can do. The east coast ports were just accidental beneficiaries of this labor dispute. At this time the alternative is to circumnavigate the globe and approach the US from the Atlantic instead of the direct shot to the west coast and that makes ports like Savannah and Virginia more attractive than Gulf Coast ports...
Thanks for the info Jack. If they're circumnavigating the globe then I can see why Savannah makes more sense. Can't wait for 2016 when they finish the widening of the Panama Canal. The Gulf Coast will be the major beneficiary and Houston will probably get some of that activity that is currently going to eastern ports. The US as a whole will also be less affected by West Coast issues.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:16 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
So going by the 2nd video it seems that Houston has always felt inferior to Dallas and now houstonians feel like Houston is just now becoming comparable....wow this explains the drastic hate towards Dallas...its ingrown.
are you basing that off the reporters question around :10-:20 in the video? that was saying before it might have been a contest, but now Houston can make the claim as the clear winner. don't try to twist words like usual.. the "drastic hate" you feel might have to do with outsiders general ignorance towards Houston.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
PBS Houston produces all kinds of these 2 minute video's mostly to fill time. You are putting a lot of weight on a fluff piece that was obviously tongue in cheek.

Here is another of those 2 minute shorts about the day JFK spent in Houston in November 1963 before leaving to go to Dallas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73hPznLMMs

He obviously felt comfortable in Houston...

Old 03-12-2015, 02:22 PM

385 posts, read 968,249 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dChjD11U-dk

Houston was featured on the series 'Waterfront Cities of the World' a few years back.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:39 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
PBS Houston produces all kinds of these 2 minute video's mostly to fill time. You are putting a lot of weight on a fluff piece that was obviously tongue in cheek.

Here is another of those 2 minute shorts about the day JFK spent in Houston in November 1963 before leaving to go to Dallas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73hPznLMMs

He obviously felt comfortable in Houston...
Thanks Jack...TT was trying to make it seem like I was twisting peoples words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas