Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many San Diegans Plan to move out of the area in the next year?
Move out of San Diego 10 20.83%
Move out of Southern California 5 10.42%
Move out of California? 36 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,327,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
And yes to the "litany" - that is indeed what it has become, about high housing prices. But this seems to be ALMOST the only negative that everyone can agree on - I mean, it's empirical evidence.
The price of a home has fallen, on average, almost $200,000 in the last two years as well so that bit of empirical evidence is swinging more and more into San Diego's favor.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,327,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
you say this about pretty much every place you live, your past posts speak for themselves.
Not to mention if he thinks San Diego is to big into the superficial then he's obviously never spent much time in OC or LA much less NYC.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,136,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Not to mention if he thinks San Diego is to big into the superficial then he's obviously never spent much time in OC or LA much less NYC.
Actually I lived in LA's Venice Beach for a while and i've been all through the OC plenty of times. I've seen NY too.

I've also lived in a couple cities overseas that are extremely cosmopoliton and materialistic. Some of the most materialistic big cities on Earth.

And trust me. San Diego DOES definantly have a lot of flashing wealth and materialistic competition going on. Especially for a smaller city. San Diego has definantly got some of that rich OC style.

But, I do love San Diego. It is one of my favorite US cities. And I feel like the competetive energy is starting to fade away in SD. It's starting to feel more cool and laid back again.

Five years ago SD was full of Hummers and people signing sub-prime mortgages to keep up with the neighbors. But now I think it's getting back to reality since most of these people have lost their shirts. I can see the change and I like it a lot It's starting to feel like the SD of the late 90's again.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,026,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Five years ago SD was full of Hummers and people signing sub-prime mortgages to keep up with the neighbors. But now I think it's getting back to reality since most of these people have lost their shirts. I can see the change and I like it a lot It's starting to feel like the SD of the late 90's again.
Wow. You must not frequent "Rancho" anything.

Rancho Bernardo is FULL of materialism. Same with Rancho Santa Fe and Rancho San Diego. To this day, the average house price in Rancho Benardo has not dropped beyond $500k. Which is just silly. Everywhere else you see very nice drops, here? Forget it.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,710,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Actually you are lying.

I said this about Orange County a long time ago. And I said this about one certain neighborhood in Denver. I don't recall saying it about any other place. I've lived in a lot of other places that were not like this though.
I'm not lying, anyone that wants to get a good idea of your mentality and what type of person you are can just go read your pasts posts b/c it speaks volumes. Just go to the last page of your posts when you first started then work your way forward, it is quite a read!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:08 PM

50,480 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Take a look at the areas with the most foreclosures, National City, Chula Vista, Escondido and the Inland Empire. Nicer areas didn't take near the beating those areas did and they are still driving their hummers and what not, especially since gas in back down.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 PM

7 posts, read 35,293 times
No way I'm leaving San Diego. The best US city I ever been in. The girls alone are enough to stay here. people are forgetting that San Diego is in America and we are affected by the recession just like the rest of the country. Since when was a recession ever permanent?

Old 03-03-2009, 01:36 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,546,298 times
Default Love it here!

OMG - have you guys lived anywhere else? The weather is great AND the people are nice. Few places I have lived have had both of those luxuries.

So what that you have to live in a smaller place than somewhere else? Home space is overrated. In San Diego, people lucky enough to have garages actually park their cars in them. In other places, the store all the junk they collected that they don't need. In San Diego, you don't spend money you don't need to spend. You adapt your life to your budget. As for people with kids, our friends had 5 kids and lived in a house about 1000 sf. They were the happiest people we ever met. Space does not bring happiness.

There is so much to do here. I can swim in the ocean and go downhill skiing in the same weekend. I can take my dog to the beach. If you can't find a decent restaurant, then you aren't very adventurous. Pick a culture and you can find a good place to eat. Holy cow, I've gained weight since I've been here.

Instead of complaining that you keep losing jobs because you aren't bilingual -learn Spanish. This is coming from white-bread blondie here. I plan on learning Spanish because it's just a great opportunity.

I beleive that you are as happy as you choose to be. If you aren't happy here, then choose someplace else!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM

50,480 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
OMG - have you guys lived anywhere else? The weather is great AND the people are nice. Few places I have lived have had both of those luxuries.

So what that you have to live in a smaller place than somewhere else? Home space is overrated. In San Diego, people lucky enough to have garages actually park their cars in them. In other places, the store all the junk they collected that they don't need. In San Diego, you don't spend money you don't need to spend. You adapt your life to your budget. As for people with kids, our friends had 5 kids and lived in a house about 1000 sf. They were the happiest people we ever met. Space does not bring happiness.

There is so much to do here. I can swim in the ocean and go downhill skiing in the same weekend. I can take my dog to the beach. If you can't find a decent restaurant, then you aren't very adventurous. Pick a culture and you can find a good place to eat. Holy cow, I've gained weight since I've been here.

Instead of complaining that you keep losing jobs because you aren't bilingual -learn Spanish. This is coming from white-bread blondie here. I plan on learning Spanish because it's just a great opportunity.

I beleive that you are as happy as you choose to be. If you aren't happy here, then choose someplace else!
I do agree with most of what you have here

It is awesome and I've lived all over but being near the border there is a lot to complain about, ie the document challenged and how it affects our daily lives. That, of course, belongs in the immigration forum.
SD rocks

Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM

137 posts, read 385,089 times
RE:Instead of complaining that you keep losing jobs because you aren't bilingual -learn Spanish. This is coming from white-bread blondie here. I plan on learning Spanish because it's just a great opportunity.

I didn't lose the jobs because I am not bilingual. I lost them due to the economy. It is difficult to find work here though if you aren't bilingual. And why should I have to learn Spanish? This is America.
That's all. Sorry if I was raining all over your glorious San Diego.

And yes, I have lived in several areas of the United States and frankly San Diego is highly overrated. Some people actually get bored with the weather here and like four real seasons. Not to mention the slowness of most people here can drive you insane after awhile.

Like someone else in this thread said, I think it has a lot to do with age, and if you are raising kids.
Mine are grown and San Diego isn't a retirement friendly town unless you are very wealthy.

I think CA in general has gone downhill a lot in recent years and I don't see it coming back around any time soon. It is sad but it's the way things are.
Then again, maybe it's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego