Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,248 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to San Diego from Michigan over the summer, and I need advice on where to live. I am 21 years old, and I am looking to attend school at SDSU, so I would like to be fairly close, preferably even within walking distance. I won't know anyone, so I'm looking for a good spot to meet people close to my age. I'm not interested in living with or near a bunch of 18 year old freshman.. I am looking for young adults/upperclassmen who attend or did attend SDSU. It needs to be somewhere safe... and fairly cheap spots... If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
The immediate neighborhood around SDSU is an area of post war ranch houses, the majority of which are still occupied by families. There is housing right on campus and along some of the thoroughfares such as Collwood, College, and Montezuma that would be close enough to walk or bike. I think most of the freshmen tend to live in dorms on campus, so the housing along these three streets might be the right place for you. However, there are no night spots for socializing.

If you want to be in an area that is more of an old-style urban neighborhood, try Normal Heights. It's not expensive (for San Diego) and there are some coffee shops, bars, and restaurants in which to meet people. However, you won't be able to walk to campus. You would however, be able to take the bus on a direct route.

Another option is an apartment in Talmadge which is closer to SDSU than Normal Heights. Not as much night life as Normal Heights, just a one or two options along El Cajon Boulevard. It's close to the Collwood apartments but not quite college-kid central. You wouldn't be able to walk to SDSU from Talmadge, but biking to campus would be easy.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,248 times
Thanks! I did check out the Fifty Twenty Five apartments while I was there.. I think they used to be called Sterling Collwood. I haven't heard very good things about that complex though. Thoughts?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Social, also consider that the trolley stops on campus, so if you find a nice place within walking distance of a trolley stop (Green Line), it will be an easy commute. Not much night life near the safer areas, though. The best place to meet people is actually right on campus. SDSU is known as a party school...
SDMTS - Trolley Information

Housing near campus:
Apartments near SDSU | Apartments close to SDSU - Sterling Alvarado

College View Apartments-SDSU

Housing on campus:
Discover the difference...on campus. | SDSU

There's also the possibility of renting a single family home with 3-4 other students. You may or may not like the idea of roommates, but since SDSU is located in a family neighborhood there are (or used to be) SFH rentals in the area. Start out by renting an apartment month-by-month, and during the first semester you'll probably run into people looking for a roommate. There will be notes posted on campus, or on some website I'm sure. The downside (as I'm sure you know) is that it can be disruptive to your studies. The upside is that it is an easy way to make friends.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 AM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
Sorry, I can't give you information about specific complexes along Collwood. I know that there is a problem with break-ins with the cars parked along the street, but car break-ins and car thefts are an omnipresent problem in San Diego.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,992,197 times
All I know is that when I lived near SDSU for 2 years around 1999-2000 (on Hardy Ave) on the bottom floor, my place got broken into twice.

The area around SDSU is a dump, no matter what color paint they slap on the buildings.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,601,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
All I know is that when I lived near SDSU for 2 years around 1999-2000 (on Hardy Ave) on the bottom floor, my place got broken into twice.

The area around SDSU is a dump, no matter what color paint they slap on the buildings.
Too broad a brush, IMO. (Your comment, I mean, not the paint. )

We have friends who live on Estrella. Their area is mostly well-kept, with only a couple of problem houses (loud partiers or people who don't keep the place looking nice) on the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego