Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many San Diegans Plan to move out of the area in the next year?
Move out of San Diego 10 20.83%
Move out of Southern California 5 10.42%
Move out of California? 36 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM

50,542 posts, read 47,334,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
was this post actually serious?

Heavily partisan politics, one thing I definitely DO NOT miss about the Bay Area .
No kidding, I voted for Obama too but we can hardly blame a global recession on one man when the playing cards for what is happening now were dealt as early as the late eighties.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 PM

103 posts, read 298,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Agree!

San Diego is a great place to live... .if you can afford it!
Exactly!

I lived in Southern CA (off and on...San Diego included) in the years 1987 - 2002 and loved it.

Unfortunately, unless you're rich, or don't care about getting a decent house, you can't afford it.

I think the latest stats were that only 20% of the population own a house...

Now if I could just win the lottery!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 PM

13 posts, read 55,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster5757 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but who is growing tired of the lack of jobs, reasonable rent and the lack of well kept rentals?

Also, what is going on with the sub-standard restaurants here? There are a few good ones left but not many!

This city was OK about 10 years ago when I moved here but it has lost it's appeal to many it seems. What are your thoughts?

Yes exactly this place is overrated. To many people act like San Diego is the best, but it's not that great. I think people are brainwashed into thinking San Diego is the best. Every time I ask a local they sound so fake when they say I love San Diego, but that's my delusions. The people in San Diego are stuck up and think they live in the best city in America it's so annoying, but overall San Diego is a nice place if you are a newbie and haven't been living here for your entire life.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,426,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabaster12 View Post
Yes exactly this place is overrated. To many people act like San Diego is the best, but it's not that great. I think people are brainwashed into thinking San Diego is the best. Every time I ask a local they sound so fake when they say I love San Diego, but that's my delusions. The people in San Diego are stuck up and think they live in the best city in America it's so annoying, but overall San Diego is a nice place if you are a newbie and haven't been living here for your entire life.
Wow, hope your out of here soon

Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,866,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
Wow, hope your out of here soon
Yeah really. If you need help loading up the old U-Haul, I'm available!!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 55,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Yeah really. If you need help loading up the old U-Haul, I'm available!!

see what I mean. San Degans don't like to here people have a diffrent view of their city they quickly turn em out and ignore them and act as if they never said anything and continue to think that their city is perfect. Thats how conceited they are.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:12 PM

137 posts, read 386,138 times
My love-hate obsession with San Diego intensifies....
When I first moved to San Diego, in the late 70's it was a great place to live. We lived in Chula Vista and it was not over-run by 3 taco shops on every block. Well, the recession of the 70's was upon us and we moved to the Dallas area which was booming.
I never liked Texas and did everything in my power to get back to San Diego.
The first husband and I did move back for a short time but were unable to afford it even then.
So, back to Texas.

Exit first husband, enter second.....and two babies later, I convinced him to move here. My sisters were here and making it fine. By now, it is late 80's and I finally had "come home" even though San Diego is not my original home, it felt like it. Times were okay - problem was with the husband, he hated it here and said San Diego needed a douche. I swear, I can't make this stuff up!

Ho hum, back to Texas with a broken heart and two small babies.

Flash forward to late 90's and third husband, kids now in elem school. Third husband from NJ and didn't care much for Texas so he agreed we should move to San Diego.
Yay! Finally my soulmate. When we first arrived, Sept 99, we were able to find a reasonable rental in IB less than a block from the beach. OK, I know, IB not that great, but it had come a long way since the 70's and actually felt like a family oriented town. Well, while we were busy getting settled in jobs and the kids in school, people kept telling us to buy buy buy a house because prices were about to skyrocket. I thought they were crazy. Within a year, buying a house flew out the window as prices went thru the roof and kept going and going and going....we decided we would never be able to buy a house here no matter how much money we made.
(Of course, we didn't know how all these other people could afford these prices and now I guess we all know, most couldn't).

Ten years later and my perfect soulmate husband tells me he was never very impressed with San Diego, thinks it is highly overrated and way too expensive. I have come to realize he's right and I have been looking through 70's rose coloured glasses all this time.

Having a son who graduated high school in 07 and a daughter who will graduate this year, if I knew then what I know now about the schools, there is no way I would have raised my kids here.

There are so many good things about San Diego, but they are overwhelmed with the bad. As my husband and I drive around sometimes, (our cheap date) and look at nice neighborhoods and especially Coronado that we love but will never be able to afford, we are still a bit shocked when we see the nice blended with the bad neighborhoods. Like IB, there are some decent areas but then the closer you get to 13th it is bad, really bad.

And yes, the restaurants here, ugh! We keep looking for unique places, diner type places and trying them but are usually disappointed either in the food, the service or the price. Granted he is from NJ where you can eat very cheap at a diner with generous portions of really good food. I know, cuz I've been there and was blown away by the lower prices of almost everything.

So my love-hate continues.........and it may be a matter of time before we head out and my heart breaks again....but reality is: San Diego is not what it used to be and I do not see it ever being again in the near future a place I can afford.

And you with the offers to load up the Uhaul, don't think I won't take you up on that....

Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 PM

There are lots of places to live. 90 percent of them are cheaper than San Diego. I can't understand why people would stay in a place they hate so much and pay so much to do it. As someone who was born and raised in North County and earns enough money to not only live here, but live well and raise a family here, can any of you people who dislike San Diego so much please clue me in? Apparently I've been brainwashed.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 PM

137 posts, read 386,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
There are lots of places to live. 90 percent of them are cheaper than San Diego. I can't understand why people would stay in a place they hate so much and pay so much to do it. As someone who was born and raised in North County and earns enough money to not only live here, but live well and raise a family here, can any of you people who dislike San Diego so much please clue me in? Apparently I've been brainwashed.
Maybe that's just it, you live in North County. South Bay isn't pretty, no matter how many new communities they build in overcrowded Otay Ranch/Eastlake.
And not being one to want to disrupt my kids schooling, I didn't want to uproot them. Now that they're out and almost out, maybe we'll try north county, where we almost settled when we moved here and I can't tell you how many times I wished we had.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabaster12 View Post
see what I mean. San Degans don't like to here people have a diffrent view of their city they quickly turn em out and ignore them and act as if they never said anything and continue to think that their city is perfect. Thats how conceited they are.
No where is perfect. No one said San Diego is. The fact that you are basing your disdain for San Diego by making up things says a lot about your point of view. I don't mind people with different views. In fact, I quite enjoy hearing differing views. But you, you're just complaining about having to live in such a dump as San Diego, but you apparently won't do what you have to do to improve your situation. You want to be miserable and complain about. It's sad. I wish you luck on finding a place where you can be happy, assuming such a place exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego