Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 03:38 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,825,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Interesting, I never knew San Antonio had areas where you couldn't go down to. I thought I was more of an East, West Coast thing.
The discussion of the last few posts doesn't pertain to San Antonio but a small town west of SA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 05:06 PM

343 posts, read 308,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Teachers were only around during classtime
Of course. But I mean did they show any type of discrimination or favoritism too?

Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,523,667 times
I went to a middle school in SA that was over 80% Hispanic. Day to day, black and white students would be fine, but I heard racial slurs used toward white people several times a year. It may not be as bad now.

Speaking of the n-word, Generation 2020 will often let anyone get away with saying the slang version of the n-word. It's still entirely unacceptable to use the n-word with an "er" at the end because that is always used with the intent to insult. I've had Hispanics in SA call me the n-word with an "er." I've known black people who were regularly called the n-word on the south side in the 2000s. I once overheard a Hispanic coworker having a conversation about how dark-skinned black women stink, but light-skinned black women don't, and no one that she was talking to called her out on it.

But, on a day to day basis, I didn't experience racism, and I chose to live in a diverse area of town in adulthood. My biggest problem was name discrimination when it came to applying for jobs. If you have a name that makes it obvious that you're black, then your chance of getting an interview goes down. This isn't paranoia on my part; it's backed up by research.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I went to a middle school in SA that was over 80% Hispanic. Day to day, black and white students would be fine, but I heard racial slurs used toward white people several times a year. It may not be as bad now.

Speaking of the n-word, Generation 2020 will often let anyone get away with saying the slang version of the n-word. It's still entirely unacceptable to use the n-word with an "er" at the end because that is always used with the intent to insult. I've had Hispanics in SA call me the n-word with an "er." I've known black people who were regularly called the n-word on the south side in the 2000s. I once overheard a Hispanic coworker having a conversation about how dark-skinned black women stink, but light-skinned black women don't, and no one that she was talking to called her out on it.

But, on a day to day basis, I didn't experience racism, and I chose to live in a diverse area of town in adulthood. My biggest problem was name discrimination when it came to applying for jobs. If you have a name that makes it obvious that you're black, then your chance of getting an interview goes down. This isn't paranoia on my part; it's backed up by research.
How big of a role do you think the socioeconomic environment of the school played a part in these attitudes?

How were the teachers and administrators? Did they show any type of favoritism to the Hispanic students?

Definitely get what you mean with the name discrimination; do you think in SA it is worse than other places?

Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,055,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The discussion of the last few posts doesn't pertain to San Antonio but a small town west of SA.
there are definitely no go areas in San Antonio too...

Old 11-30-2017, 02:54 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,523,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
How big of a role do you think the socioeconomic environment of the school played a part in these attitudes?
I don't know if it played much of a role. I don't know how it is to be a white student at Roosevelt, but the black students there seem to feel less like outcasts. I think this has more to do with Roosevelt being a little more ethnically diverse. I believe Roosevelt and Lee are about the same socioeconomically. The middle school I went to for the first two years fed into Lee High School.

Quote:
How were the teachers and administrators? Did they show any type of favoritism to the Hispanic students?
I didn't notice any favoritism toward the Hispanic students; most of the teachers were white. I felt that I had to fight harder than the white students to get advanced coursework and to get into honors courses even though my test scores were well above average.

Quote:
Definitely get what you mean with the name discrimination; do you think in SA it is worse than other places?
I don't know. I had an easier time getting interviews in the Austin area, but I think this might have more to do with a lot of social service jobs in San Antonio having a strong preference for bilingual applicants. I know people on this forum talk a lot about military preference, but I knew a black military veteran who had difficulty landing a job in SA because she didn't speak Spanish. At least, she thought it was because she didn't speak Spanish. So, she commuted all the way to Austin. Taking on that commute was a mistake, but it's amazing that she had to look 1.5 hours away to get a job when she was already experienced in her field.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 AM

4,455 posts, read 5,384,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Interesting, I never knew San Antonio had areas where you couldn't go down to. I thought I was more of an East, West Coast thing.
They are talking about a town west of San Antonio with less than 10,000 people.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
there are definitely no go areas in San Antonio too...
Only for people that are too attached to suburbia.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:17 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,523,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Only for people that are too attached to suburbia.
That's not true at all.
You are too young and have not lived here long enough to determine this, or other claims you have made. I have lived here going on 55 yrs, and there are places you avoid. Being "street smart" has little to do with it. Common sense does.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 11,895,190 times
I have to laugh any time I see these "are xyz people safe in Wherever, Texas?"

I've traveled all over the country - there are a LOT more places that'd make the WORST locale in Texas look like a tea party. And MOST of those areas are located in the NE part of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio