Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 741,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
San Antonio is way worse if you are Hispanic than Austin. Besides women in Austin are a lot more attractive.
Ive never had women tell me the things that he said and he is better looking than me..amd how is San Antonio worse when its over 60% hispanic? And no i find the women in SA more attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 09:04 PM

343 posts, read 308,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Ive never had women tell me the things that he said and he is better looking than me..amd how is San Antonio worse when its over 60% hispanic? And no i find the women in SA more attractive.
Let me correct you: 60% Mexican-American. Austin is a way more open minded and international city so if you are a Hispanic of non-mexican descent or even just a Hispanic that comes directly from Latin America it is a much better environment. If you are a Hispanic in San Antonio that doesn't fit into the typical San Antonio Mexican-American culture, good luck with dating.

How do you find San Antonio women more attractive? I find them to be fairly demanding without bringing much to the table themselves;not to mention women in Austin are generally in much better shape, better educated and overall more appealing.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 11,885,079 times
Quote:
Let me correct you: 60% Mexican-American. Austin is a way more open minded and international city so if you are a Hispanic of non-mexican descent or even just a Hispanic that comes directly from Latin America it is a much better environment. If you are a Hispanic in San Antonio that doesn't fit into the typical San Antonio Mexican-American culture, good luck with dating.

How do you find San Antonio women more attractive? I find them to be fairly demanding without bringing much to the table themselves;not to mention women in Austin are generally in much better shape, better educated and overall more appealing.
I try really hard to read your posts with a straight face.....

Austin is more "international"? Really? With several major military installations in the area with members and their families from all over the world, San Antonio has a far deeper width of diversity in terms of international residents. Having done business in and around Austin for many decades, I'll take the Hispanics of San Antonio any day - although to be fair, most of the ones in Austin are good folks, as well. In fact, it's really just silly to try to compare one against the other - they're both good folks. As to the attractiveness of the women, I have to concur - there's many more head-turners in SA than Austin. And as to their physiques, well......again - it's in the eyes of the beholder, isn't it?

I honestly don't get the constant desire to try to pit one city against the other, especially along ANY racial lines. Each city has their own vibe and beat - some will fit into one better than another. Trying to one-up each other really smacks to a form of racism, in that you walk around with a predetermined mindset of where someone's from rather than who they are.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,516,059 times
Quote:

This is an interesting perspective. I've only met a handful of Hispanics from San Antonio who weren't of Mexican descent, so I never really got their take on how things are for them. I know that the overwhelming majority of Hispanics in San Antonio are of Mexican descent (I think it's over 90% IIRC). I haven't gotten the numbers on Austin yet. I would guess that Houston and Dallas have more diversity among Hispanics than both San Antonio and Austin. What is your background?

I'm reminded of this video with Afro-Latinos talking about being discriminated against by lighter-skinned Latinos (I'm assuming white and mestizo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX7EmIYdeKA

This wasn't in San Antonio, but I knew this Afro-Latino from New York who said he didn't feel embraced by the Latino community in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I guess Juventud is not of Mexican descent or not fully of Mexican descent. I don't know. If those are his experiences, then those can't be discounted. I don't think a person who is not a Hispanic of non-Mexican descent could convince him that they know better than he does what it's like to be him. The same goes for Hispanics of Mexican descent in Austin. Maybe they do have a more difficult time dating in Austin, but their numbers aren't exactly small. Try dating in a place where you make up less than 10% of the population.

Last edited by L210; 11-21-2017 at 10:23 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 PM

4,421 posts, read 6,285,149 times
Quote:

Austin is more "international"? Really? With several major military installations in the area with members and their families from all over the world, San Antonio has a far deeper width of diversity in terms of international residents. Having done business in and around Austin for many decades, I'll take the Hispanics of San Antonio any day - although to be fair, most of the ones in Austin are good folks, as well. In fact, it's really just silly to try to compare one against the other - they're both good folks. As to the attractiveness of the women, I have to concur - there's many more head-turners in SA than Austin. And as to their physiques, well......again - it's in the eyes of the beholder, isn't it?

I honestly don't get the constant desire to try to pit one city against the other, especially along ANY racial lines. Each city has their own vibe and beat - some will fit into one better than another. Trying to one-up each other really smacks to a form of racism, in that you walk around with a predetermined mindset of where someone's from rather than who they are.
Based on my experience, I agree with you 100%.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,818,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I used to live there..definitely does NOT have the best food in the state..not by a long shot.
Certainly not if your dining out preferences are barbecue and Tex-Mex, but mine aren't. Keep in mind that I'm talking regional cuisine and wouldn't put Beaumont/Port Arthur up against all the variety of a city like Houston.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:27 PM

624 posts, read 910,054 times
Quote:

Well stated!

Old 11-24-2017, 06:08 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,046,443 times
San Antonio is like a big version of Mcallen... Racist towards Hispanics? More like racist toward everybody else... At least in elementary and middle school.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:40 AM

501 posts, read 780,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv0608 View Post
This may seem silly, but I have traveled enough to know that sometimes certain races are better off avoiding certain places. I live in SA and was thinking about taking a short trip to Fredericksburg with my daughter to get out of the city before the end of the summer. But over the years, stories and comments I've heard have me a little concerned that we might be better off traveling elsewhere.

I am not implying any sort of outright violence or discrimination... Just tension, looks, stares, general dislike. My co-workers assure me it would be fine, but most of them haven't been there recently.

Any tips or experience on the issue would be greatly appreciated!
Thought I'd bring up OP after reading a few pages where thread seemed to veer off topic. We have never seen any evidence of overt discrimination in 25 years of visiting Fredericksburg, Comfort, and the US 290 wineries. At the same time, I must qualify this by saying that sightings of any ethnic groups other than anglos and hispanics in those two towns is a rare event.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 AM

343 posts, read 308,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
San Antonio is like a big version of Mcallen... Racist towards Hispanics? More like racist toward everybody else... At least in elementary and middle school.
This is my point and why I think people should be more specific. Peoole say that the city of San Antonio is a great city for any type of Hispanic, when in reality they should be saying that it's a great city if you are tex-mex.

Just like in the valley, if you don't fit into the specific local tex-mex culture then you won't fit in right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio