Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 AM

65 posts, read 233,923 times

Advertisements

This may seem silly, but I have traveled enough to know that sometimes certain races are better off avoiding certain places. I live in SA and was thinking about taking a short trip to Fredericksburg with my daughter to get out of the city before the end of the summer. But over the years, stories and comments I've heard have me a little concerned that we might be better off traveling elsewhere.

I am not implying any sort of outright violence or discrimination... Just tension, looks, stares, general dislike. My co-workers assure me it would be fine, but most of them haven't been there recently.

Any tips or experience on the issue would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:44 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,841 times
Not silly at all. Fredericksburg has always seemed fine to me, as a middle-aged white woman, so I can't offer any perspectives that would be useful to you. I'm sorry you have to worry about these things. I like to think that Fredericksburg is enough of a tourist destination that they know how to seem welcoming to everyone.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Not silly at all. Fredericksburg has always seemed fine to me, as a middle-aged white woman, so I can't offer any perspectives that would be useful to you. I'm sorry you have to worry about these things. I like to think that Fredericksburg is enough of a tourist destination that they know how to seem welcoming to everyone.
Thanks for your reply! I agree that given the number of attractions and such, the town must see a wide variety of people. Hopefully it's not a problem!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,478 times
to me, the level of racism youre implying exists more/mostly in east TX. once you trek west of SA, it slowly becomes the laid back southwestern culture.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:06 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
Been in and out of Fredericksburg for many years - you have nothing to be concerned about, unless YOU make it of issue. Folks up there are pretty laid-back and easy going.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:16 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
I agree. Fredericksburg is pretty laid back. OP has nothing to worry about.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:59 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
to me, the level of racism youre implying exists more/mostly in east TX. once you trek west of SA, it slowly becomes the laid back southwestern culture.
Specifically, Orange and Vidor. I haven't been there in about 10 years but I imagine they're still stuck in the 50's. I could NOT believe the blatant racism but I saw it with my own eyes. Shameful, really gross. My Hispanic co-worker went to his hotel room around 5 and would not even go to dinner with us. Very uncomfortable area, for sure.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
Quote:
Specifically, Orange and Vidor
You forgot Kountz in the same area. Back in 1983 I was shot at by locals, 8 of them to be exact, since my FIL who lived there also employed blacks. When I called the sheriff about it, his response was SO?. It's not just blacks over there they get pissy about, it's anybody that has anything to do with blacks. There are some REAL psycho folks over there. Must be something in the water. I'm white, I don't stop any where in that part of Texas.
Fredricksburg, I doubt you'd have any issues there. If you do, probably isn't a native Texan but some import that brought his BS with him.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv0608 View Post
This may seem silly, but I have traveled enough to know that sometimes certain races are better off avoiding certain places. I live in SA and was thinking about taking a short trip to Fredericksburg with my daughter to get out of the city before the end of the summer. But over the years, stories and comments I've heard have me a little concerned that we might be better off traveling elsewhere.

I am not implying any sort of outright violence or discrimination... Just tension, looks, stares, general dislike. My co-workers assure me it would be fine, but most of them haven't been there recently.

Any tips or experience on the issue would be greatly appreciated!
It's a very understandable concern. I'm Hispanic but white (darkish skinned, depending...) and never have had a problem, but hispanics are not unusual around there. I have been in other parts of Texas where the prejudice was really overt, but I don't think so in Fredericksburg. Lots of tourists there anyway.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:20 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I think I feel better about taking this trip.

I actually read a story about Vidor while I was looking up any past issues with race in Texas. It blows me away that a state this size would still experienece such high levels of blatant racism. At most, I expected to read about subtle actions or words. But I see in some places the hate is alive and well. With that in mind, I'm grateful that the worst I've experienced is rude comments or frosty stares!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio