Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I assumed you moved to NB because of crime. You moved because of a liberal government. Wow, you sure showed me! Sorry, but I don't give a rats arse who your family is. Very pretentious for somebody who lives in New Braunfels
Yeah - well, I just figured to talk in the language you seem to use most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 05:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
1. Jasper is majority African American
2. A minority isn't going to get robbed or mugged for walking down a street in Vidor or Jasper, sorry, I just simply don't believe it.
Uh-huh.....okay....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd_Jr.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:28 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
1. Jasper is majority African American
2. A minority isn't going to get robbed or mugged for walking down a street in Vidor or Jasper, sorry, I just simply don't believe it.
I didn't say that Jasper wasn't majority African American. Jasper is a highly-segregated city with a long history of racism that is above average for Texas.

Vidor was known as a sundown town. In other words, it was recommended that African Americans not be there after sunset. When they tried to integrate public housing, there was a huge KKK rally. There's a reason why this city has remained over 90% non-Hispanic white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Really? Why is that? Is it because since you've decided I'm white that I somehow don't find the goings-on of Jasper and other communities like to be indefensible and deplorable? Did you somehow fail to notice that we didn't move there for that very reason?!? Take that chip off your shoulder, please - it detracts from your reasoning abilities.
I'm just pointing out that there is a difference between being concerned about high crime and being concerned about being harassed or attacked because you belong to a certain group. These types of "safety" threads aren't really about high crime; they're about whether or not a city is welcoming. High crime areas are usually dangerous for everyone, regardless of race, ethnicity, or religion. In that respect, there are places in Texas that I would recommend minorities avoid, so I don't find these types of threads to be funny. Locals who have traveled this region know how Fredericksburg is, but people who haven't don't.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:32 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Quote:
You missed my point - as usual, which is the folks that come to this site from out of state are always so concerned about the myths they hear about Texas, when where they're coming from is every bit as dangerous (or more).

I was raised in Leon Valley (which my Dad helped found) - my Dad's side of the family has been in SA since 1862, when my Great-grandfather founded his cooperage/blacksmith shop (Alamo Tank). Rittiman Road is named after my Mom's grandfather's farm (Rittiman), and some of the SA Streets (Rittiman, Wurzbach, etc) are named after various family members. St. Joseph's church is built on land donated by my Great-Grandfather - and the Little Church of La Villita was co-founded by my maternal Great-great-great Grandfather, Gustav Elley.

Guess you need to kinda be a tad more careful about assuming things, eh? And for the record, we moved to New Braunfels because the SA City Council was continuing to spend every stinking penny they could get their hands on, and I could see where that was going to put the city in the future.

Anything else you'd like to stick your foot into, my friend?
Thanks for sharing that family history...interesting stuff!
Your family and mine probably knew each other...raised in the same area.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
Quote:
It's a real wonder how the majority of the towns citizens manage to stay alive on a daily basis.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
As a whole, San Antonio has more crime than almost any city. So I completely disagree with this.
As the article you posted said, San Antonio has recently experienced an uptick in crime. Crime rates fluctuate all the time, and this crime increase may just be temporary. Overall, I don't feel that San Antonio is a dangerous place. There are just certain neighborhoods to avoid. I was recently in San Antonio at night and didn't feel as if the Mexican Mafia was going to gun me down.

Quote:
It's a real wonder how the majority of the towns citizens manage to stay alive on a daily basis.
Who cares if there aren't daily murders? There are other ways a city can be unwelcoming. You're here complaining about bullying in middle school; being pulled over by the police and searched for no reason is worse. Being told that you aren't welcomed in a city because of your skin color is much worse than middle school bullying. Being called racial slurs on a regular basis is much worse. Parts of East Texas just don't have very good race relations and should be avoided.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:46 PM

343 posts, read 306,740 times
Quote:
There are streets on the east side and west side and probably on the south side where if I or my girlfriend spent more than 20 minutes walking alone we would be robbed or mugged or worse. I don't know how you could deny this unless you don't know any Anglo people.
I'm sorry but with what you are saying you sound ignorant about these areas. Just how you say that you won't believe that something bad will happen to a minority for walking down a street in Vidor; I won't believe that something bad will happen to you if you are white and walk down a street on the Westside or the Eastside.

I have been all over the Westside, Eastside, and Southside going to parks to play basketball and soccer, going to libraries, restaurants and even bars where I didn't know anyone at all and didn't have any issues at all (the worst things that might have happened to me is getting offered drugs or being asked if I had any on me) that to me is not a no-go zone.

Sorry but I refuse to believe that just because you might look different from me that you will automatically be victimized in the same places that I have been(especially because I have seen white kids at these same parks and I've seen more than a couple of white people walking around on the Westside.). Maybe in some cities it is like this, but this isn't the case at all in San Antonio at least by what I have seen.

It seems like you are a little paranoid because you are unfamiliar with these areas and their culture and you view the people that live there as mostly criminals instead of just regular humans.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:47 PM

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nio-Texas.html

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Austin-Texas.html

Why can't San Antonio be like Austin? When I look at San Antonio's crime rate it appears that it has always been bad.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nio-Texas.html

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Austin-Texas.html

Why can't San Antonio be like Austin? When I look at San Antonio's crime rate it appears that it has always been bad.
San Antonio has different demographics. Most of the crime is concentrated to certain areas. Most of the city is not as scary as you're making it out to be.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 PM

I never made the whole city out to be scary, but I denied that San Antonio is safer than many cities in the Northeast. If I thought it was that scary, I wouldn't live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio