Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 PM

343 posts, read 306,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I've lived in South and North Austin and San Marcos. I've worked in Kyle, San Marcos, and Austin. I guess because I'm black and they felt comfortable, a few white San Antonians have made disgusting comments about Hispanics when speaking to me. But, they're outnumbered in SA, so there isn't much they can do.

In San Antonio, I lived on the near north side and the northeast side. The near north side, being less diverse, was far worse than the northeast side.
I never understood why ppl would choose to live in San Antonio and dislike Hispanics. It's like living in Atlanta and disliking black people or living in San Francisco and disliking Asian people; makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 11:44 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,384 times
I know! I just wish all the racist haters would go find some lily white anglo mecca somewhere!

Old 11-20-2017, 05:39 AM

216 posts, read 398,733 times
Sure, anyone is welcome as long as you speak German

Old 11-20-2017, 09:05 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I know! I just wish all the racist haters would go find some lily white anglo mecca somewhere!
not trying to defend racists, but there is no such place.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
Sure, anyone is welcome as long as you speak German
You just reminded me of my great grandma and grandma who both spoke German fluently to each other. While they mostly spoke English to everyone else...between the two of them...it was mostly German. Sadly it was never passed on to any of us.

One day when I was a kid at my brother's baseball game, some people were speaking Spanish very loudly so they started going off in German very loudly. The reaction was hilarious now that I think about it.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
do any young people in the hill country speak German? I feel like the baby boomers were the last generation?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Specifically, Orange and Vidor. I haven't been there in about 10 years but I imagine they're still stuck in the 50's. I could NOT believe the blatant racism but I saw it with my own eyes. Shameful, really gross. My Hispanic co-worker went to his hotel room around 5 and would not even go to dinner with us. Very uncomfortable area, for sure.
I am the same way..i went to school out there and I will never go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You forgot Kountz in the same area. Back in 1983 I was shot at by locals, 8 of them to be exact, since my FIL who lived there also employed blacks. When I called the sheriff about it, his response was SO?. It's not just blacks over there they get pissy about, it's anybody that has anything to do with blacks. There are some REAL psycho folks over there. Must be something in the water. I'm white, I don't stop any where in that part of Texas.
Fredricksburg, I doubt you'd have any issues there. If you do, probably isn't a native Texan but some import that brought his BS with him.
or it could be someone from east texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Please check back with your experiences, good or bad.

I drove by Vidor a few weeks ago on my way to Louisiana. Gave me the creeps just to see the sign. I'd be happy to give that strip of east Texas to another state.
A lot of the people there have relatives from louisiana

Old 11-21-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
You will like Fredricksburg, Texas is my opinion.
Texas is a huge place though, and not just the geography and flora and fauna will very widely within its' boundaries , social customs do too. North Texas is very different from deep south Texas etc., and East Texas is very different also. Customs resemble the deep south states than they do here.
Unlike Trapper I was never fired at while working in East Texas and Louisiana in the oil fields, years ago ,in the seventies. From Houston to Baton Rouge. However.
East Texas is living in the past yet and unlikely to give up the old ways soon I think. While living up north I once met a girl from Orange, Texas which is right on the Texas - Louisiana state line- strangely enough,while I was living in Michigan, no less. What were the chances?
She spoke with quite a Texas twang. Soon afterward I met Chrissie's mother. I thought since these were native Texican girls from back home just like me, surely,- I would be familiar with their ways.

Soon afterwards, the girl's mother asked me if,
" I would like to eat Boudins for supper tomorrow night?"
" Sure ! " I had no idea, so I asked.
" What's a Boudin ?" .

I have never eaten a crayfish yet, but I might. ( I think they are fond of crawdads and grits over that way) I did try the Boudins however.

Then again I have never tried the Tripitas around here either. But I might. Someday.
Yeah thats how they sucker you into their culture. If you don't do the things that they do, they look at you weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Certain parts are. Nacogdoches, Marshall, Jefferson, and the Caddo Lake area are all beautiful, historic parts of Texas.

Southeast Texas isn't as pretty, but it has a very rich culture and the best food in the state.
I used to live there..definitely does NOT have the best food in the state..not by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Which areas did you live in? By racist, I meant racist towards all people, but it is possible that San Antonio is more racist to blacks. (I think Austin is way worse for Hispanics or Mexicans though)
have a friend who is hispanic that lives in Austin. He told me that girls wouldn't even talk to him..and some even flat out told him that they would not date him because he was hispanic..he actually drove to San Antonio every weekend just to get away.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:07 PM

343 posts, read 306,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Yeah thats how they sucker you into their culture. If you don't do the things that they do, they look at you weird.

I used to live there..definitely does NOT have the best food in the state..not by a long shot.

have a friend who is hispanic that lives in Austin. He told me that girls wouldn't even talk to him..and some even flat out told him that they would not date him because he was hispanic..he actually drove to San Antonio every weekend just to get away.
San Antonio is way worse if you are Hispanic than Austin. Besides women in Austin are a lot more attractive.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
San Antonio is way worse if you are Hispanic than Austin. Besides women in Austin are a lot more attractive.
Ive never had women tell me the things that he said and he is better looking than me..amd how is San Antonio worse when its over 60% hispanic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio