Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times

Advertisements

Please check back with your experiences, good or bad.

I drove by Vidor a few weeks ago on my way to Louisiana. Gave me the creeps just to see the sign. I'd be happy to give that strip of east Texas to another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 11:46 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
Fred won't be a problem. Laid back place. Saw a lot of diversity, veterans, etc. at the Pacific War Musuem (don't miss it) and climbing Enchanted Rock

Old 07-20-2016, 04:19 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,174 times
Fredricksburg shouldn't be a problem.Count Meusebach actually signed a treaty with the native americans of that area.The German settlers never broke it. It's not like East Texas at all. I live in a town near San Antonio, and there have always been hispanics here,and don't recall any issue and I've lived here since 1971.Just be polite and friendly to people, most people will be the same.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:16 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
It's not only a tourist spot, but it's almost like a crossroads town. It's located between Abilene and San Antonio. It is also the nearest town to Enchanted Rock park.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:38 AM

65 posts, read 233,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Fred won't be a problem. Laid back place. Saw a lot of diversity, veterans, etc. at the Pacific War Musuem (don't miss it) and climbing Enchanted Rock
Thanks for the tip! We'll be sure to check it out. I'm an Air Force veteran myself and my daughter loves military museums.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:42 AM

65 posts, read 233,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Please check back with your experiences, good or bad.

I drove by Vidor a few weeks ago on my way to Louisiana. Gave me the creeps just to see the sign. I'd be happy to give that strip of east Texas to another state.
I will certainly do that!

I'm very glad I've only drive through Houston as fas as East TX is concerned. Just stayed on I-10 all the way to Florida. I had always thoughtbof West Texas as being potentially more risky, for some reason. Most travel warnings seemed to involve that area (close to the border, anyway).

Old 07-21-2016, 09:46 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv0608 View Post
I had always thoughtbof West Texas as being potentially more risky, for some reason. Most travel warnings seemed to involve that area (close to the border, anyway).
Crime in general can always be more risky along a border - skin color won't really be the reason.

Used to travel up and down the RGV on business, NEVER unarmed - and a couple of times things got dicey. I finally stopped ALL travel into Mexico back in the mid-90's because I got tired of being shook down by the local cops looking for a little mordida. After that, if a customer wanted me in Mexico, they'd send a driver to get me.

MOST of the time, you won't run into any significant issues on this side of the border, but it pays to keep your guard up. For a while, they were blocking roads to rob folks, but stopped when some folks got fed up and started driving through/over them. In general, I'll only pull over for marked LEO vehicles, and stop at checkpoints that I know are legit, with uniformed officers present. Again - it's not nearly as bad as the above might sound - it's just good info to know for those unfamiliar with traveling there. In my 40-year career, I was often in the RGV every other week, and only had two or three incidents north of the border, and maybe a dozen south of it.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
For vacation, no problem with race / prejudice in Hill Country afaik.
Be sure to take a look at nearby towns while you are out this way. Boerne, Comfort, Bandera are all very nice, very tourist centric, each unique. And very close-by / on your way.

Come the Fredericksburg on a market /trade days (3rd weekend of month.)
Wimberley is first weekend and is good too.

Consider also visiting during lighted Christmas Parades and events. Christmas in Comfort is pretty nice for a dinky town. Fredericksburg is special cuz you get to see the parade twice! (Does a u-turn and comes back!), Also has Ice Skating and a huge Christmas Weihnachtspyramide. Jonhson City has amazing lights, main weekend opens LBJ home for free in evening. Wimberely has an outdoor theater / Christmas memorial for a HS gal. http://www.emilyann.org/about.html
Plenty of events and fun most of the yr in Hill Country. Much of it free!

The pacific WWII museum is excellent, they had a very nice Bob Hope / USO display last year (special traveling Exhibit)

Old 07-23-2016, 04:53 AM

520 posts, read 781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv0608 View Post
This may seem silly, but I have traveled enough to know that sometimes certain races are better off avoiding certain places. I live in SA and was thinking about taking a short trip to Fredericksburg with my daughter to get out of the city before the end of the summer. But over the years, stories and comments I've heard have me a little concerned that we might be better off traveling elsewhere.

I am not implying any sort of outright violence or discrimination... Just tension, looks, stares, general dislike. My co-workers assure me it would be fine, but most of them haven't been there recently.

Any tips or experience on the issue would be greatly appreciated!
Absolutely nothing to worry about in Fredericksburg, like others have said it's a tourist destination. You'll see when you get there, the main drag is packed with with people and cars from all over.

More personal knowledge of it - my wife is black, don't even notice a look when we are there. Two of her best friends from work, both black, use Fredericksburg as their girls day out spot every couple months - it's their preferred day trip destination.

I can attest to the fact that east Texas can get dicey. The Mrs. and I went camping at Lake Livingston over Christmas last year. Definitely noticed the pauses as people in town saw us - and I'm all but oblivious to it. Not to say it was hostile, just that a feeling that what we, as an IR couple, was not the way things were done around there.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:42 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
Absolutely nothing to worry about in Fredericksburg, like others have said it's a tourist destination. You'll see when you get there, the main drag is packed with with people and cars from all over.

More personal knowledge of it - my wife is black, don't even notice a look when we are there. Two of her best friends from work, both black, use Fredericksburg as their girls day out spot every couple months - it's their preferred day trip destination.

I can attest to the fact that east Texas can get dicey. The Mrs. and I went camping at Lake Livingston over Christmas last year. Definitely noticed the pauses as people in town saw us - and I'm all but oblivious to it. Not to say it was hostile, just that a feeling that what we, as an IR couple, was not the way things were done around there.
I think East Texans look at EVERONE with suspicion. Might have something to do with a very shallow gene pool.

Far too may spouses are cousins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio