Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I'm sorry but with what you are saying you sound ignorant about these areas. Just how you say that you won't believe that something bad will happen to a minority for walking down a street in Vidor; I won't believe that something bad will happen to you if you are white and walk down a street on the Westside or the Eastside.

I have been all over the Westside, Eastside, and Southside going to parks to play basketball and soccer, going to libraries, restaurants and even bars where I didn't know anyone at all and didn't have any issues at all (the worst things that might have happened to me is getting offered drugs or being asked if I had any on me) that to me is not a no-go zone.

Sorry but I refuse to believe that just because you might look different from me that you will automatically be victimized in the same places that I have been(especially because I have seen white kids at these same parks and I've seen more than a couple of white people walking around on the Westside.). Maybe in some cities it is like this, but this isn't the case at all in San Antonio at least by what I have seen.

It seems like you are a little paranoid because you are unfamiliar with these areas and their culture and you view the people that live there as mostly criminals instead of just regular humans.
My friend lived in the Iron Horse Valley apartments and the only reason he didn't get into trouble with the locals there was because he made friends with some nicer guys in the apartments that backed him up. He straight up told me if that didn't happen he would have been screwed. And that is right off Starcrest and 410, not exactly one of the bad areas.

You could be right, but from hearing that, and my great gma getting robbed at knife point in front of her house in Beacon Hill, which is again not one of the really bad areas, I know to stay away from the "really bad" areas for any reason.

There is a difference between a library or restaurant or bar and walking around the neighborhood or apartments where these guys live, IMO.

I lived in Lavaca/King William baja in the early 2000s before it was getting gentrified and Hondo which is majority Hispanic, also have ranches in deep South Texas, so I'm not exactly foreign to the Hispanic/Mexican culture, but there is a huge difference between working class and criminal, and both types of areas exist in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
My friend lived in the Iron Horse Valley apartments and the only reason he didn't get into trouble with the locals there was because he made friends with some nicer guys in the apartments that backed him up. He straight up told me if that didn't happen he would have been screwed. And that is right off Starcrest and 410, not exactly one of the bad areas.
One of my family members was robbed near the Iron Horse Valley Apartments, and she's black. That area has seen an increase in crime over the past couple of decades; your chance of being a victim there has nothing to do with race.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:43 PM

My friend was threatened just for living there. I'm not talking about just getting robbed in the area. But yes, I'm sure they will rob anybody of any color if they think/know you have money.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:54 PM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Quote:

You could be right, but from hearing that, and my great gma getting robbed at knife point in front of her house in Beacon Hill, which is again not one of the really bad areas, I know to stay away from the "really bad" areas for any reason.

There is a difference between a library or restaurant or bar and walking around the neighborhood or apartments where these guys live, IMO.

I lived in Lavaca/King William baja in the early 2000s before it was getting gentrified and Hondo which is majority Hispanic, also have ranches in deep South Texas, so I'm not exactly foreign to the Hispanic/Mexican culture, but there is a huge difference between working class and criminal, and both types of areas exist in San Antonio.
I've hung out at Casiano projects ect. They're not really that bad at least not at this point, I even saw a white family there, trust me you're exaggerating man.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:29 PM

which part am I exaggerating about?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Why can't San Antonio be like Austin?
Now you're just trolling...

Old 11-30-2017, 10:55 PM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Quote:
which part am I exaggerating about?
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that white people specifically are pretty much barred from and have to fear for their safety more than other types of people in certain areas of the city; that's something I don't believe to be true and is an exaggeration.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Now you're just trolling...
Wtf? Yeah, expecting San Antonio to have similar crime rates to a city an hour away is really ridiculous...

Old 12-13-2017, 01:44 AM

41 posts, read 44,677 times
Quote:

I am having a hard time reading your comments. If you really lived in those areas, you would know that the vast majority of people there were decent hardworking people and not criminals. I was considered white in those areas and never felt like I was barred from them and at most considered an outsider (even though not the case). In truth, being white there will get you noticed and maybe illicit some hazing, but not really to the threat of criminal violence.

Many of the families that lived there had very deep histories, many were present in the late 1800's, went through the depression (being discriminated for being Hispanic as well) and now have grandchildren and great grandchildren in the area. Now, the nearby Victoria Courts, now demolished are a separate issue. That was a crime ridden place.

If you really want a dangerous neighborhood, visit the 3rd ward in Houston or La Perla in San Juan, PR. Those places are legit dangerous. There are at least 5 violent crimes a day in those places.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:47 AM

what are are you referring to? I never said Lavaca was ghetto, just said it introduced me to the "hispanic/mexican" culture that guy described.

unless I am misunderstanding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio