Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:45 AM

88 posts, read 85,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv0608 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I think I feel better about taking this trip.

I actua lly read a story about Vidor while I was looking up any past issues with race in Texas. It blows me away that a state this size would still experienece such high levels of blatant racism. At most, I expected to read about subtle actions or words. But I see in some places the hate is alive and well. With that in mind, I'm grateful that the worst I've experienced is rude comments or frosty stares!
Try being white and walking through Harlem (just in case, thats in NYC, which is A BIG CITY, in a BIG STATE, since you seem to think size of a location has anything to do with it).

I consider myself lucky to get in and out of Harlem with only "rude comments or frosty stares" the dozen times a year I have to go there for business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 12:32 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Discrimination in NYC ?

Yes Detroit is the same way. Except you would be personally approached and hustled in Detroit. Or. Easily Discriminated against, big time. Everywhere, the grocery store, its' parking lot, street corners, in front of the convenience stores , liquor stores etc., Home Depot, where ever.
I remember going to Detroit Receiving Hospital in line at the emergency room. Well- I looked behind me and there was a guy holding his elbow and bleeding like hell. " GO on Ahead of me!" I says.
"This guy is bleeding all over the floor here! " I yelled. The guy had just been in a knife fight a few blocks away, he said. Was waiting in line.
Was immediately taken back by nurses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTexas18 View Post
Try being white and walking through Harlem (just in case, thats in NYC, which is A BIG CITY, in a BIG STATE, since you seem to think size of a location has anything to do with it).

I consider myself lucky to get in and out of Harlem with only "rude comments or frosty stares" the dozen times a year I have to go there for business.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:15 AM

73 posts, read 71,928 times
omg folks, why does everything has to do with color and race here ? How far back do you want to go, looking for bad news, Greek Empire, Persian Empire, Roman Empire, Ottoman Empire, ? How far back do you want to go, looking for wrong doing, there are plenty of examples. Unfortunately, we've been conditioned by the evil media and the stupid government that if anyone has a bad or negative experience, its based on the fact that their are either dark skinned or ethnic race of some sort. I've been an immigrant in many countries, and when someone was mean or disrespectful to me, I never blamed it on color or background. It's human nature. When someone is really mean or hateful, people either say thinks like Nazis, Hitler etc. The Nazies didn't attack dark skinned people, They attacked the lightest skinned people on earth first, Poland, Russia and the Jews, who majority of them lived in eastern Europe. Years ago, in Zimbabwe, The then president Mugabe, literally buldozed thousands of African refugees in a camp, because he told them to move and they refused. No one around the world went protesting or screamed on the news. Remember the Rwanda genocide, black on black, 1 million Africans were killed by other africans in 100 days, while the army was standing by and waiting for orders from the UN but never got the green light. Stalin starved 5 million of his own people to death. China killed 50 million of its own people. Look what happening is South Africa now, thousands of white farmers are killed by the locals, why, because they are white, simple as that. Is it really color or ethnicity, not really it's human nature. In Eastern Europe, people blamed the Nazis, then the Russians, then when they were left on their own and there was no one else to blame, people started killing and torturing their own kind. The killing fields in Cambodia, the government killed millions of its own people for fun. So please folks don't feel overly sensitive when some is rude or mean to you, it's possibly not your color or ethnicity. The top 5 out of 20 dictators are in Africa. Why do you think they are not helping and loving their own kind. Pure greed. if they could steal money and medicine for their own family and relatives, while thousands of their own are dying on the streets, they would do it in a flash. There are no Nazis or Hitler to white folk to blame. Absolute pure greed. I know many western countries send so much free medicine and supplies to many African Nations and a documentary revealed that the government folk take it and give it to their relatives to sell on the black market. So the poor folks don't get the medicine they need for free, many have to sell their cow or property to buy antibiotics for their sick kids. So please lets not blame to Nazis or Hitler or white folk for this. It's pure human grade greed.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default An Exclusionary Historical Tale,

Yes sure it is human nature to be exclusionary or clannish. Storm Ninja. Your posts seemingly go in circles. No one has to go back in time to find ostracism, it is freely available everyday.
In the case of Nazis, that has changed. The neo-nazis have a different agenda. I was watching the news
yesterday and of course there was coverage of the hurricane landfall.
Well, the Governor of South Carolina made some statements to the press, about the "Criiks being flooded" and he speaks just like the Swamp people that was on a different network at the same time. I was quite taken aback by the thickness of his accent. OK, not everyone from the south speaks as colorfully as this. As a young man.
I was certain that I did not have a Texas accent, I am from here. I moved away to a north eastern state as a young man around twenty years old, in the seventies. It was quite the culture shock to move away from this grand city. Most times, never, did people know, that I was from the south. When I told them where I was from they would try to pick apart my speech and might find an object called by name that was different. That was it. I was unaffected. I once called a green house a hot house to the laughter of some people. Stuff like this.
As a southsider in the city growing up here, I was around south Texas working folks all the time, listened to their speech, but I never picked up any of the drawl or idiosyncracies of speech of a southerner. I did like to listen to country music that was always playing in gas stations, juke boxes etc. endlessly in south Texas though. I was exposed to the music enough to grow to like it. Then again I liked to go to the Symphony Concerts also that SAISD provided for us kids.
This culture is a culture of differences. These differences make for the spice of life, here.
I had neither Spanish nor Texas accent.

These differences also creates divisions, though. Differences that are created for the sake, of differentiating, so immersed in clannish behavior that says , " This is me." Celebratory cheering Stay back you.
They'll do it every time. Are people of color welcome in the Hill Country?
It depends what color you are I guess. Country of origin probably has no bearing on the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormNinja View Post
omg folks, why does everything has to do with color and race here ? How far back do you want to go, looking for bad news, Greek Empire, Persian Empire, Roman Empire, Ottoman Empire, ? How far back do you want to go, looking for wrong doing, there are plenty of examples. Unfortunately, we've been conditioned by the evil media and the stupid government that if anyone has a bad or negative experience, its based on the fact that their are either dark skinned or ethnic race of some sort. I've been an immigrant in many countries, and when someone was mean or disrespectful to me, I never blamed it on color or background. It's human nature. When someone is really mean or hateful, people either say thinks like Nazis, Hitler etc. The Nazies didn't attack dark skinned people, They attacked the lightest skinned people on earth first, Poland, Russia and the Jews, who majority of them lived in eastern Europe. Years ago, in Zimbabwe, The then president Mugabe, literally buldozed thousands of African refugees in a camp, because he told them to move and they refused. No one around the world went protesting or screamed on the news. Remember the Rwanda genocide, black on black, 1 million Africans were killed by other africans in 100 days, while the army was standing by and waiting for orders from the UN but never got the green light. Stalin starved 5 million of his own people to death. China killed 50 million of its own people. Look what happening is South Africa now, thousands of white farmers are killed by the locals, why, because they are white, simple as that. Is it really color or ethnicity, not really it's human nature. In Eastern Europe, people blamed the Nazis, then the Russians, then when they were left on their own and there was no one else to blame, people started killing and torturing their own kind. The killing fields in Cambodia, the government killed millions of its own people for fun. So please folks don't feel overly sensitive when some is rude or mean to you, it's possibly not your color or ethnicity. The top 5 out of 20 dictators are in Africa. Why do you think they are not helping and loving their own kind. Pure greed. if they could steal money and medicine for their own family and relatives, while thousands of their own are dying on the streets, they would do it in a flash. There are no Nazis or Hitler to white folk to blame. Absolute pure greed. I know many western countries send so much free medicine and supplies to many African Nations and a documentary revealed that the government folk take it and give it to their relatives to sell on the black market. So the poor folks don't get the medicine they need for free, many have to sell their cow or property to buy antibiotics for their sick kids. So please lets not blame to Nazis or Hitler or white folk for this. It's pure human grade greed.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 433 times
I’ve experienced ppl looking for racism is going to “find” it due to your cynicism of our country. I’m white but have been to areas where I didn’t feel particularly comfortable but only due to the environment not the races or ethnic ppl in that space. Try to be an American rather than a African-American or Hispanic-American, or Asian-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio