Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Good Evening-

We that have storage sheds/ buildings had to have them set back. I know the purpose of this is due to the utility easements in both the front and backyards..
I don't agree that that is the reason. Many houses do not have a utility easement in the back because the easement is set up in the back yard of the adjoining property. There also are a lot of sheds that are in side yards and have been approved by the HOA. Several of the backyard sheds are more visible from the street than they would be if they were in the side yard. The problem is that the HOA took a one size fits all approach to the book rule.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 View Post
Hi-
On my way out of my sub-division i saw a black police car zooming towards the park, does anyone know what happened, this was around 7am?
Probably just late for work and/or breakfast. Happens a lot around here.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:30 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,106 times
Speaking of Storage Sheds we have a Barn next to us.

This afternoon on my way home from the Post Office I noticed alot of dried up / dying yards. I know it's a pain to water with a sprinkler once a week or a couple of times a week by hand but do your best to not let your yard die.
I would hate to think what it would cost to replace a yard with St. Augustine Sod. Those of you that have Bermuda are at a big advantage since you can buy seed. Seed is available for some strains of St. Augustine but I personally have never heard of anyone that sells it. Does anyone know of a place?
I hope that our HOA understands the situation and does not give anyone a notice.

Thank you

Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,058 times
Wellguy - I say again...I know of at least two people on one street that were written up for dying yards in the past couple of weeks. You are right though...it will be expensive to re-sod...at least water enough to keep it alive if not green.

I've heard of people talking about buffalo grass lately. Supposed to be very drought resistant. I haven't seen it though.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:53 PM

wc2005- Yes Buffalo Grass is a great choice. I don't know that much about it with the exception that it is supposed to be expensive. But once established the homeowner will save water as it is very drought tolerant.

I feel bad for those folks especially if they were doing their best to keep their yards alive. One of the bad things in the newer areas of Westcreek is lack of trees or large trees for shade. This does help but it its' not a total solution.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:15 AM

86 posts, read 174,922 times
From what I understand; with the new Fence policy that came out a couple of months ago, that the maintenance/repair belongs to the Homeowner since the homeowner "owns" the fence. It makes sense - as stated my Well Guy - the homeowners that neglect or abuse their fences should repair them at their cost. I take care of my fence - I wouldn't expect someone else to pay for my lack of repair.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Lil

32 posts, read 76,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Speaking of Storage Sheds we have a Barn next to us.

This afternoon on my way home from the Post Office I noticed alot of dried up / dying yards. I know it's a pain to water with a sprinkler once a week or a couple of times a week by hand but do your best to not let your yard die.
I would hate to think what it would cost to replace a yard with St. Augustine Sod. Those of you that have Bermuda are at a big advantage since you can buy seed. Seed is available for some strains of St. Augustine but I personally have never heard of anyone that sells it. Does anyone know of a place?
I hope that our HOA understands the situation and does not give anyone a notice.

Thank you
Just some info concerning grass here in San Antonio. Since 2006; St. Augustine can no longer be put into "new construction" landscapes by builders. Tiff 419 Bermuda is the preferred grass for this area and is in sod only. When we get into drought - you let the Bermuda go dormant by not watering; when/if it rains again, Bermuda will green up again. St. Augustine just dies; it does not have the capability to go dormant. So if you have to replace sod; Tiff 419 is the way to go. It's not as evasive as native Bermuda and has a finer texture. Buffalo grass is a very thin, sparse grass. Weeds tend to invade it. It is not a pretty grass and likes to be left taller; vs shorter but, it is extremely drought tolerant. Probably would be better in the back yard.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Lil

32 posts, read 76,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I know of at least two people on my street that have been written up by the HOA for not watering in the past couple of weeks.
That's not good I think I would rip most of the grass out and replace it with mulched beds and some other materials. I'd rather water and preserve my trees - than lots of grass....

Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil View Post
Just some info concerning grass here in San Antonio. Since 2006; St. Augustine can no longer be put into "new construction" landscapes by builders. Tiff 419 Bermuda is the preferred grass for this area and is in sod only. When we get into drought - you let the Bermuda go dormant by not watering; when/if it rains again, Bermuda will green up again. St. Augustine just dies; it does not have the capability to go dormant. So if you have to replace sod; Tiff 419 is the way to go. It's not as evasive as native Bermuda and has a finer texture. Buffalo grass is a very thin, sparse grass. Weeds tend to invade it. It is not a pretty grass and likes to be left taller; vs shorter but, it is extremely drought tolerant. Probably would be better in the back yard.
Tifway 419 is not what you want for grass...it has to be fertilized at least four times a year maybe more and preferred method of cutting is a reel mower. It is used in golf courses and is relatively high maintenance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfgrass Forums
Golf courses with bermuda greens are constantly top dressing with sand in order to bury the stems and runners -to force the plant to make new leaves close to the surface. Of course this is unreasonable for the homeowner, so other methods most be employed. A lot of people start the season by scalping (de-thatching) in the spring, and this in effect gives the grass room to grow (with more green leaf)throughout the growing season. You start off in spring cutting short, and then as the season goes on - raise the cutting height a little each month to avoid cutting off too much leaf and exposing the thatch below.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:48 PM

We have a neighbor who hasn't watered his Bermuda in a couple of months. His is dead or dying. It's not a matter of water conservation but laziness on his part. I wish that I had his grass

There is not too much that can be done at this time for those of of that have St. Augustine. Probably 75% in Westcreek. We can't afford to let it die so we will just have to limp along and keep it going. If neighbors remember to mow it tall that will help. I feel bad for those that are older and may not be able to get out to water their grass and then face it dying along, replacing it, and facing the HOA. I just hope that they understand the situations of some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio