Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 PM

86 posts, read 175,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Hey guys...FYI just went to get the mail at the cluster box and the neighbor said that their houseguest (who were parked on the street right in front of their house) was hit last night and GPS systems stolen. They busted out the side window, and the house it was taken from is right on a corner lot of a cul-de-sac. Police said their has been a rash of car break-in's since school let out...so keep your stuff OUT of your locked car and save yourself the hassle. I live in the Royal Oaks...usually a much quieter part of Westcreek.
Paka - thanks for the information. It looks like it may be a long summer if this is any indication of what's ahead.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:59 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,832,415 times
Quote:
Hey guys...FYI just went to get the mail at the cluster box and the neighbor said that their houseguest (who were parked on the street right in front of their house) was hit last night and GPS systems stolen. They busted out the side window, and the house it was taken from is right on a corner lot of a cul-de-sac. Police said their has been a rash of car break-in's since school let out...so keep your stuff OUT of your locked car and save yourself the hassle. I live in the Royal Oaks...usually a much quieter part of Westcreek.
Nobody deserves to have their things stolen but, time and time again we hear and read about these GPS units being stolen because they are left in the car. When are folks going to learn? Take it out!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:45 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
True that...but I suppose that visitors/houst guest in from out of town just don't realize that a queit cul-de-sac doesn't offer security.

Humm...and we have been seriously toying with the idea of moving into the Del Webb Retreat...that age restriction style of living is looking more and more appealing....

Old 06-20-2009, 02:53 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,832,415 times
Quote:
True that...but I suppose that visitors/houst guest in from out of town just don't realize that a queit cul-de-sac doesn't offer security.

Humm...and we have been seriously toying with the idea of moving into the Del Webb Retreat...that age restriction style of living is looking more and more appealing....
My folks live in an age restricted development (55 and over). My dad likes to joke that he sees more ambulances than cars going by in a day!

Theft happens in there too though...they figure that the older folks aren't as security minded, I guess. Terrible.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 PM

86 posts, read 175,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
My folks live in an age restricted development (55 and over). My dad likes to joke that he sees more ambulances than cars going by in a day!

Theft happens in there too though...they figure that the older folks aren't as security minded, I guess. Terrible.
I heard from the Bexar County Sheriff's Office that the Alamo Ranch and Del Webb area are experiencing quite a spike in crime and are also starting the COP (Cellular on Patrol) program over there. I guess it's everywhere...

Old 06-20-2009, 04:07 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,844,635 times
Paka -Thanks for the information. I sometimes have to go out late at night or early in the morning due to my job. It does seem like I have seen more young people (since school has let out) during those hours when most of us would be asleep. Friday morning (yesterday) I was outside at 4:00am hand watering the yard and there were two young kids (male and female who looked to be high school age) they walked down several homes and the fellow got into his pickup and slowly drove off. A short while after that I saw the girl walking past me towards her home. I didn't say anything because they were not doing anything wrong, well at least to the neighborhood. What I'm worried about are the groups of young males. If that would have been the cause I certainally would have called BCSD.

This may seem crazy but several years ago I approached our HOA Staff due to the fact that we always read in our Newsletters to "report suspicious vehicles". I suggested that they issue decals with the VOWC logo for resident's cars. Nothing ever came of it. As you know there are many HOA'S that do this. What is you take on this? Yes there will be cars that belong to visiting family, friends, etc that won't have them.

One last comment. What do you all know about the COP Program that CH1960 mentioned. Is the training given here? Have /Are any of you part of this progam?. I would expect to see signs throught the neighborhoods that we have such a program.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
Actually, I think that a lot of the "crime" in those two areas are the kind you see when there is a lot of new construction in an area...things seem to "walk away" from open garages and such. There is already a golf cart on patrol posse in Del Webb...and their major notifications are "hey, you left your garage door open"...thanks goodness.

You are right, stuff happens everywhere...but I love the "totally unplugged" feeling we get there...no traffic, quiet walking trails.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:58 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,822,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
What's going on with all the roadwork in Country Oaks (Miltary and Kingsbridge)? They've been working on that small area for many days now...and still no asphalt.
They're just resurfacing the road. I asked the workers when they first started, had my hopes up that they were installing a speed bump.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,678,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
They're just resurfacing the road. I asked the workers when they first started, had my hopes up that they were installing a speed bump.
Looks like more than resurfacing the road. You can see the dirt and the height difference from the unaffected road next to it. Wonder if there was a water/sewer leak.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:49 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,844,635 times
Steel Man -God Morning -I called yesterday evening around 6:00pm when I had to go out. I asked about Water /Sewer Main Breaks and there have been none in that area. It looks like BCPW Street Maintenance. If any one wants to check on the status you can call 335-6700 and get the number for the Northwest Service Center. I would expect everything to becompleted soon. Those guys over there are great and besides street maintenance they do alot to keep up the area. * It helps them as a Service Center when we call /email Commissioner Sergio Rodriguez.

I do know last year I reported to the HOA Staff that the sprinkler system plumbing at the Royal Oaks Monuments was leaking (that was when the system was off) It continued for a pretty good while until I shut off the water and called in to SAWS to report water waste. Although it maynot have contributed that much to the street deterioratiion I know it did not help any. It was a shame that the HOA Staff let it go so long. That cost us $$$$$$$$.

Last edited by wellguy; 06-21-2009 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio