Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,718,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post

My husband and I talk about this a lot and are actively working to figure out how to keep and attract young creatives. More later...
Simple. Pay them more.

I'm leaving to DC in a bit 'cuz I'm making mobile apps, coding in HTML5/CSS3, doing some Javascript and companies only want to pay 70k here. However, it's changing...I think SA is waking up.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,560,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
I have the same experience. I don't experience the "military is superior" attitude anywhere in this city. I also don't meet many conservative people in this city. Maybe it's because I don't live on the north side? Really, I have no idea. (FWIW, I like most of the military folks that I have met here--a bunch are my students, and they're typically a pretty interesting, motivated, and respectful lot.)

It's funny. You even get people on the Austin board complaining about how conservative, Christian, gun-toting everyone is up there. It really boggles my mind.
Ditto. (I say that too often to your posts...)

I see that attitude and it's tiresome, but really on city-data. It's rare that I come into contact with it in every day life. And until recently, I did work with many many many military folks (most former, many current). There were definite differences in style of work (need for forms, military meetings always started on time ;-)), but otherwise, no major issues. A number of friends (and neighbors) are military, mostly health care professionals.

I have to admit that since being in San Antonio, I am much more open minded about military individuals than I was before. While my father and all his brothers served, as was standard at the time (WWII and Korea), we're not really a "military family" and my few experiences were not positive prior to moving to San Antonio. I see the "bow down before me" attitude only in this forum, nowhere else in the city. Funny about the military discounts, I am not at all bothered. I see them the same as the senior discounts. I worked for years in aid work (read: extremely low pay in some very dangerous circumstances), and no one offered discounts, but that's ok

Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times
I've experienced some very conservative attitudes in San Antonio, which I don't mind as long as the person is respectful. However, I'm mostly around blue collar people who tend to be liberal here in San Antonio. I don't mind the military at all and most don't act like they are superior. I only came across one veteran who acted like it was blasphemy to check his identification upon entrance to a secure facility, but he was in his 60s or 70s.

It's not unheard of for convenience store employees to offer free stuff to security officers. Working at a convenience store at night is dangerous and they feel like it's a deterrence to have uniformed people in their store.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,048,521 times
City-data is not life. I see many "attitudes" on here about certain parts of town or certain lifestyles or certain vehicles even. Doesn't change my neighborhood choice, my lifestyle, and definitely not my vehicle. You don't like my choices? Chances are I think you are kind of ridiculous, too. Big deal. Get over yourself, and more importantly, get over everybody else. Life is too short.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,964,831 times
But, Sapphire...I want everyone to be just. like. me!

</sarcasm with a smile>

--Dim

Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM

245 posts, read 696,536 times
I lived in Oklahoma City last year and that has got to be THE MOST CONSERVATIVE, gun-toting, anti-Obama, place I have ever lived in. You wouldn't believe some of the crazy conspiracy theories I heard while living up there. They even have this church where everyone (including kids!) go to church with a gun strapped to their waists. Insane!!! I also lived in Austin for 4 years, and loved it, it was quite liberal, but I heard some people complaining that it was becoming much more conservative. I also witnessed a lot of crazy whacked out far-left liberal stuff up there as well.

As for San Antonio... absolutely love it here. I don't think it's as conservative as OK City was, and definitely not as liberal as Austin. I lean more towards Independent, and have felt pretty comfy here.

But this forum is about jobs! My dilemma is that in a year or so I'm going to finish my MBA. I'll have the opportunity to transfer back to Dallas (where are headquarters are), or, go and look for another job. I would really love to just stay here in San Antonio, but I have no idea what type of job I could get here with an MBA or how much it would pay. I work in the healthcare industry so I'd be looking for a hospital / revenue cycle services business office manager/revenue analysis type job. But I remember back in 2000, when I worked for a hospital business office up in Garland, TX, our business office manager actually lived in San Antonio and commuted to Dallas every week to work. She said there just weren't as many good paying jobs down here. I'm sure that's changed since then. But still, I have noticed that the pay down here isn't on par with Dallas. I actually telecommute for my company, so I get paid a pretty good wage, that is based on Dallas rates. If I were to get a similar job here, I think I'd make about $5 or so less per hour. No bueno!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,718,171 times
More and more people are teleworking, hence why you are starting to see more people buy up properties in the hill country to get away from the rat race. Smart idea, if you can do it!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,927 times
My .02 on the military folks. First, I was one until retiring in 2009. The military is made up of a cross section of all segments of the population. There are Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines from all walks of life, all segments of the socio-economic sprectrum, all ethnic backgrounds, all religious backgrounds, and all political ideologies. There are good, and there are bad, just like any other cross section of society. There are many mispeceptions of military life. I in no way came from a military family. My closest living relative with military service was an uncle drafted into the Navy in the Viet Nam era. My own parents, even after having a son that served for 22 years, and a daughter that served for 4 years, do not have a clue what military life is like.

I think military members are held to a higher standard by the general public. This is as it should be. The citizens of our country have the right to expect a professional military deserving of their trust. The problem arises when the actions of small few taint the impression of the overwhelming majority of decent professional personnel. As stated previously, all branches are a cross section of society, warts and all.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM

580 posts, read 1,430,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
My .02 on the military folks. First, I was one until retiring in 2009. The military is made up of a cross section of all segments of the population. There are Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines from all walks of life, all segments of the socio-economic sprectrum, all ethnic backgrounds, all religious backgrounds, and all political ideologies. There are good, and there are bad, just like any other cross section of society. There are many mispeceptions of military life. I in no way came from a military family. My closest living relative with military service was an uncle drafted into the Navy in the Viet Nam era. My own parents, even after having a son that served for 22 years, and a daughter that served for 4 years, do not have a clue what military life is like.

I think military members are held to a higher standard by the general public. This is as it should be. The citizens of our country have the right to expect a professional military deserving of their trust. The problem arises when the actions of small few taint the impression of the overwhelming majority of decent professional personnel. As stated previously, all branches are a cross section of society, warts and all.
From what I've seen in SA, I totally agree with this. I've met plenty of military folks in my classes who are more politically liberal, and more culturally aware, than many of my other students who are 18 year-old "idealists." I try not to idealize military students, but there's probably something about that "chain of command" attitude that feels pretty refreshing for a teacher!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 14,431 times
Most of the military that I have encountered in San Antonio have been nice and respectful. I grew up in a military town (Annapolis), which is much smaller than San Antonio. Being mad because they get discounts sounds petty. I guess some of you hate senior citizens too.

As for jobs, I can understand why many would choose to leave San Antonio. I think it is a great town, but personally I would do much better in any of the other large cities in Texas.

I have lived in numerous places in Florida and Texas. In addition, I have worked with small business owners for 1-2 months at a time all over the United States. Many people don't realize that 50-70% of job growth in the US is through small businesses.

The problem in San Antonio, there are some great small business owners. But as a group, many of them don't have a clue on how to run a successful business or fixed a struggling one. I know small business owners get bombarded with sale people trying to sell them the greatest thing since the tire. But, they still need to look at ways to improve their business and not ignore everything until it is too late. Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio