Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 PM

3,263 posts, read 9,076,194 times

Advertisements

Other cities rate SA low because of its large minority population. (ATX)

Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,580,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Except for layover at LAX, I have not been to California.

I have no desire to go to California or reside in a such bankrupted, overpriced state.

If their schools are much better then why can't the whole state reflect this?
I'm not sure anyone said California schools are any better than anywhere else. It's higher education is affordable, which is a huge asset, but I don't think it's better or worse.

We Californians just say "Dude" a lot ;-)

Shame you have no desire to ever see it, it's a spectacularly beautiful place, in parts. These days I prefer visiting to living there.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,819,287 times
TexasGuy22 mentioned California's public universities being higher ranked a few posts back so I had responded to that comment.

Either way I really don't have much desire to visit. My experience at LAX left me not wanting to return for awhile. I will just leave it at that.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
TexasGuy22 mentioned California's public universities being higher ranked a few posts back so I had responded to that comment.
My apologies. I missed that. It's sometimes hard to follow the source of a response when the original isn't quoted.

That said, if they're ranked higher, then they are ranked higher, bankruptcy or not... As a graduated of a University of CA school (back when it cost all of $400 per quarter to attend), I have nothing but good things to say about my educational experience.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Ranked higher based on what source?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Ranked higher based on what source?
I wasn't making the original claim. I didn't see it.

but since you asked:

This source National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges :
UC Berkeley at #21,
UCLA at #25
UC San Diego #37
UC Davis #38
UCSB #42
UCI #45 (kind of surprised it's lower than UCSB)
UT -Austin ties at #45
Texas A&M #58

Forbes America's Best Colleges - Forbes.com has a different ranking, but it too puts both UCLA and UC Berkeley ahead of UT Austin.

Regardless, I'm not really here to argue that one state has better schools than another. I'll let the other poster whom you're responding to address that. Both have pros and cons.

We still say "Dude." Even educated folks.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 AM

413 posts, read 743,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
On average, military retirees are better educated, more mature and experienced thus making them natural targets for corporate recruiters. Given that most are in their late 30s to early 40s, they are still able to become productive workers for at least another 20+ years
Let me guess, you work in a government office and have for the past 15 years. You plan on working there until you retire. You better pray you never lose that job, because you won't be getting another one. Better educated? Ha! Do you really think your DeVry/Kaplan degree is worth more than a few squares of toilet paper? And experience? Do you really think experience in the military is worth anywhere near real-world experience? Nice try. Former military members have been some of the worst managers I've ever seen as well. Again, hope and pray you don't lose your government job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And yes, I do firmly believe that "oath keepers" are better citizens and people. Anyone who serves their country and community should be respected for their sacrifices. Sorry if you weren't afforded that opportunity, but you shouldn't hold so much contempt towards those who have. Do you feel the same against kids who make straight A grades in school?!?
When did our military members become such whiny, entitled brats? When I talk to my grandfathers or even my uncles, they don't bring up this type of crap. They did their job, they did what they thought was right. They didn't sacrifice anything nor do they want your respect, and they sure as hell didn't get a 10% on bbq. Most of them peeled potatoes or wired up phone lines, or worked in offices, yet it seems like every former military member these days pretends like they were on the front lines themselves, killing Bin Laden with their bare hands. You really do a disservice to some of the great former military members with your crap, entitled comments.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I wasn't making the original claim. I didn't see it.

but since you asked:

This source National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges :
UC Berkeley at #21,
UCLA at #25
UC San Diego #37
UC Davis #38
UCSB #42
UCI #45 (kind of surprised it's lower than UCSB)
UT -Austin ties at #45
Texas A&M #58

Forbes America's Best Colleges - Forbes.com has a different ranking, but it too puts both UCLA and UC Berkeley ahead of UT Austin.

Regardless, I'm not really here to argue that one state has better schools than another. I'll let the other poster whom you're responding to address that. Both have pros and cons.

We still say "Dude." Even educated folks.
I wasn't trying to argue either. I just wanted something more solid to go by if I am going to belive that CA has the better universities.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM

63 posts, read 133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
What people fail to remember is that even if you make, say, $30k more in another city, you will also pay 30k more for housing.

DC? 95k there is like making 60k in SA. Boston? Same. Chicago? Yep.

Funny thing is, if you want to make money, you move to SA.
By that logic, you should probably move to Kinshasa or Jalalabad, because making $350 annually there is like making $95,000 in Boston or $60,000 in San Antonio.

Or we can go with the logic that San Antonio is quite undereducated and without any standout universites, too dependent on government largesse for jobs (especially in the form of civil servants and contractors), and cursed with a limiting geography that prevents it from being anything other than a low wage, low property value town. You don't make $95k in Boston because housing is more expensive - you make it because you bring that amount of value to your employer.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM

36 posts, read 68,165 times
I've lived in SA almost my whole life and I am now living in Dallas. I can't wait to take a trip back to Cali. I do miss the TexMex but there are other types of food here for me to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio