Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,564,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcool View Post
Well, I was just visiting that place and it was just shocking to here it in Bridgeport, that I still remember it.
So it was ONE time, and you use that as an example of an educated city?

Since you say it's shocking, you know it's not the norm in Bridgeport.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,415,438 times
I personally wasn't talking about the education system, just how dumb so many of the people are/act. Perfect example would be on my way into work this morning. I bought a new bike (ZX-6R) and was at a stoplight on Gen. McMullen. Dodge Ram is to my left and another car is to my right. Light turns green and I accelerate like normal and the idiot in the Ram next to me floors it like he's trying to race. For those that don't know, a ZX-6R is a "crotch rocket" that doesn't even have to try to beat a Ram or any truck for that matter. Why do people do that here? Smart people pick their fights, these idiots just seem to like to fight for some reason.
As far as where I've lived and where I've been.. I've lived in 5 states, literally been around the world and visited countless countries. Hell, in the last month I've been in three different states and five different countries. Pretty sure I know about what I speak, but like I said, the fanboys and girls can have this place. Enjoy!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM

130 posts, read 253,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
So it was ONE time, and you use that as an example of an educated city?

Since you say it's shocking, you know it's not the norm in Bridgeport.
Its just an example of something from Bridgeport. I know about Bridgeport, that is why it sticks in my mind more, than say New Haven where you have people literally discussing philosophy in the streets, or in Fairfield, where people are discussing Politics and Economics.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 PM

77 posts, read 125,100 times
Quote:
Its just an example of something from Bridgeport. I know about Bridgeport, that is why it sticks in my mind more, than say New Haven where you have people literally discussing philosophy in the streets, or in Fairfield, where people are discussing Politics and Economics.
Intellectual utopias of world history: Athens of Ancient Greece, Florence of Renaissance Italy, Modern Connecticut.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,564,126 times
Quote:
than say New Haven where you have people literally discussing philosophy in the streets, .
Mostly students freaking out about exams....

I lived in New Haven for 5 yrs, and while it definitely has a more intellectual vibe and you'll come across many interesting discussions,it's a small town dominated by an Ivy League university - the uni is scattered across the city rather than set away on a campus. So the whole city is pretty much university. So, that's not surprising but at the same time you're just as likely to hear stories about the latest celeb...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM

874 posts, read 2,896,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I personally wasn't talking about the education system, just how dumb so many of the people are/act. Perfect example would be on my way into work this morning. I bought a new bike (ZX-6R) and was at a stoplight on Gen. McMullen. Dodge Ram is to my left and another car is to my right. Light turns green and I accelerate like normal and the idiot in the Ram next to me floors it like he's trying to race. For those that don't know, a ZX-6R is a "crotch rocket" that doesn't even have to try to beat a Ram or any truck for that matter. Why do people do that here? Smart people pick their fights, these idiots just seem to like to fight for some reason.
As far as where I've lived and where I've been.. I've lived in 5 states, literally been around the world and visited countless countries. Hell, in the last month I've been in three different states and five different countries. Pretty sure I know about what I speak, but like I said, the fanboys and girls can have this place. Enjoy!
Driving on Gen. McMullen - you are taking your life into your own hands! I live in Live Oak but teach in Edgewood, so I drive on Gen. McMullen twice each day and the sheer idiocy I encounter daily (from both drivers and pedestrians) is one of the things that sometimes makes me question my choice in districts or perhaps my choice in city overall.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 AM

464 posts, read 805,244 times
Quote:
Well one thing that is different than San Antonio and various other places, is that in places like NY and CT, you had people actually talking about the news and science, and not about all these celebrity stuff. True Story: I was at a Wendys in CT, and heard people going over Quantum mechanics and String Theory.

Very Different culture here in San Antonio, educationally.
I moved here from Westchester County, NY, over 15 years ago. I've been in CT and worked there for some time back in the late 80's. The conversation you heard was, in my opinion, a rarity. While the education levels may be higher up north, I never felt that the majority of the population was "high brow" and heard normal, atypical conversations, much the same as I hear here in SA. And I've spent time in the New Haven area along with Manhattan and Boston.

I heard the same ones who love to hear the sound of their own voice as they pontificate up there as I do here. What I found most enjoyable when I moved here was the lack of cutthroat competition that seems to pervade up north. Everyone cautiously guarded their positions and constantly jockeyed for a dominant position over the other in the workplace and elsewhere. Very competitive and ruthless; friends aren't excluded from this.

Quite unpleasant and sad to live in that environment. And the severe affluenza, oh my. I was ready to leave a lifetime of the mentality "you are what you wear, drive and buy."

SA was more laid back, much more friendly and I gradually came to love the y'alls and "sir" and "m'aam" that were spoken. These were titles we northerners never conferred unto someone unless they were in a very high position. As SA has grown I have found it has lost some of its old charm and personality but much of it remains. I would attribute that to other transplants who may choose not to adapt to their new home. I find when you move somewhere you should acclimate and adopt the best parts of the new culture you find yourself living in.

I don't want to convey the image that I am a SA fanboy.....no, not the case. My complaints about SA are many, but that's not the topic here. I moved to SA because I found where I was just another number up north, I could actually fast track my career down here. SA has been very good to me career-wise and I would imagine most others who've moved here can testify to the same.

The cost of living here is among the best I've seen and for that, the metro SA area looms large in my choice of places to live. But for some whose professions or desires may want other venues they choose to move on.

What you cannot deny is that the San Antonio area's population has EXPLODED in the last decade. Something must be attracting them here......could it be opportunity?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM

332 posts, read 530,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Luminaria. First Friday (and the plethora of other art walks). Symphony (which admittedly has funding and support issues but is excellent all the same). Daily gallery shows. Frequent music nights at area bars. Excellent independent dining opportunities. Scholarly lectures (mainly at Trinity). And much much more.

"Culture" isn't just ethnic. It's everything we experience. San Antonio can't match NY, Chicago, or San Francisco, and despite the number of small universities, doesn't have quite the scholarly enlightment of say, New Haven, but it has a lot more than many other similar sized cities.

And if you want ethnic - the Indian festival was a few weeks ago and the Diwali event at HemisFair the last couple of years has been amazing. I've seen Irish dancers perform at various places around town. Beethoven's Mannerchor and Biergarten is a huge center of German cultural events (not just beer drinking). And of course Texas Folklike festival which celebrates all cultures in any way associated with Texas, including some small groups I'd never heard of. Songkran at the Thai Temples is TONS of fun! And there are more events, too many to list. You need to do some work to find them for yourself.
a lot of those mentioned are privately-funded. a lot of the stuff im talking about (hispanic culture related) is city/taxpayer funded.

big difference when its taxpayer money thats funding the hispanic culture stuff here but not others (like the cancelled irish event recently).

Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
I used to drive a little Acura GS-R I'd bought when I was much younger. It was paid for and got good gas mileage, and I'd never done any "mods" to it... it was bone stock. I had this goofy looking Asian kid in a riced-out pull up next to me in traffic, and he's giving me the "Let's go!" look. I just kinda shrugged at him. All of a sudden, his car starts making more noise, and he's doing these quick little head jerks between me and looking straight forward, but it doesn't actually go any faster. I just had to laugh.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 PM

229 posts, read 474,266 times
Quote:
Well, as someone that has lived here almost exactly 11 years and will be leaving in about two weeks, I lay almost all the blame on the people. Not sure if it's something in the water or what, but a LOT of the people here are just very bad; there's really no other acceptable term I can come up with. I'm not saying everyone, just a very disproportionate majority compared to other places I've lived and visited. There are just too many rude, extremely uneducated, and dishonest people here. Not a day goes by where I don't see examples EVERYWHERE and I'm always reminded of them almost immediately upon arrival when I return from vacations or business trips. It's like I get off the plane and it's a severe case of instant depression.
For all the fanboys and girls, enjoy it. For those considering a move here, check yourself and PLEASE VISIT THE ACTUAL CITY FIRST!!! Don't visit the riverwalk and think you've experienced San Antonio. Drive around with your eyes and ears open and really think about whether or not you can accept this place. I'm sure there are worse places to live in this country, but this one was by far the worst I've ever lived in and the same goes for my wife and both kids. I wish I could take the kids with me, but they're stuck here on their own for now unfortunately.
Holy crap man...you must be reading my mind..it's pretty scary. When I moved here almost 6 years ago, I was super excited. We had visited a couple times (riverwalk, of course) but over the years, the misery has become unbearable. Thank goodness, I will be leaving very soon.

I am not sure why there are so many rude people...it truly amazes me at the blatant disrespect that I see EVERYDAY. It's funny you mentioned when flying back into town...I have the same problem. My wife loathes my return to town because I am in an incredibly bad funk for at least a few days. There is nothing like getting on 410 and having someone cut you off or run you off the road within 5 minutes of leaving the airport.

One other thing....I am not really going to get in the pissing contest about military folks, but I would like some of you to consider the "online degrees" you love to bash. Very often, (especially in the past) it was the only choice they had for a college education. It's pretty tough to convince your commander that you can't go to Afghanistan because you have "class" for the next 8-12 weeks. So, what does that you leave you with? Online degrees.

I'd say something about the military haters, but it's pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio