Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 PM

130 posts, read 253,514 times

Advertisements

Well one thing that is different than San Antonio and various other places, is that in places like NY and CT, you had people actually talking about the news and science, and not about all these celebrity stuff. True Story: I was at a Wendys in CT, and heard people going over Quantum mechanics and String Theory.

Very Different culture here in San Antonio, educationally.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcool View Post
Well one thing that is different than San Antonio and various other places, is that in places like NY and CT, you had people actually talking about the news and science, and not about all these celebrity stuff. True Story: I was at a Wendys in CT, and heard people going over Quantum mechanics and String Theory.

Or food-wise. In San Antonio, we discuss quantum mechanics over craft beer, not crappy fast food.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:02 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
Quote:

Did those people talk about Quantum mechanics existing in a vacuum state or did they misuse it like so many others when they say it came from nothing by nothing and for nothing. If they said it came from nothing, then I'm sorry, but that's worse than celebrity talk. Though, if you get virtual particles involved it gets a little dicey, but even that is bathed in a sea of fluctuating energy and does not literally come from nothing.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien_Rod View Post

Or we can go with the logic that San Antonio is quite undereducated and without any standout universites, too dependent on government largesse for jobs (especially in the form of civil servants and contractors), and cursed with a limiting geography that prevents it from being anything other than a low wage, low property value town. You don't make $95k in Boston because housing is more expensive - you make it because you bring that amount of value to your employer.
Hence why housing costs are high because people can afford to pay more. Trick is to keep that 95k salary and move to a city like SA and live like a king.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,964,378 times
I don't always talk about quantum mechanics, but when I do, I mostly talk about nothing.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

--Dim (The Most Interesting Man...In the World)

Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM

413 posts, read 742,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien_Rod View Post
By that logic, you should probably move to Kinshasa or Jalalabad, because making $350 annually there is like making $95,000 in Boston or $60,000 in San Antonio.
Bingo. The price of a car is the same wherever you go. Groceries are arguably cheaper just about everywhere else with the exception of things like TX oranges for obvious reasons. Yes, houses are cheaper, but property taxes are high. And of course, all of this is moot if you have to take a lower salary to be in San Antonio, and most do.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
In all seriousness, where in CT did you live? I can't think of any cities in CT even approaching the size of San Antonio. I used to live in a small city in CT dominated by a major university. Sure, you heard intellectual talk quite frequently (usually over beer there too, as there was no Wendy's or other chain in town), but in a smaller city with more academic types than not, it's not surprising.

San Antonio is huge by comparison. And while all are not as highly ranked, we have 4 universities in town (UTSA, OLLU, Trinity, UIW), a huge biomedical sector (lots of PhDs and MDs), a significant research center (SwRI, among others, again, loads of PhDs, MSc types), but they're scattered across 1200 sq miles and 1.5 million people. To hear those kinds of conversations, you just need to be in those circles. I hear more than my fair share of physics discussions thankyouverymuch ;-)

All that said, even the intellectual types enjoy discussing other things....like quality of beer, music, wine, food, gardening, art, movies, raising kids, and bad jokes. And even sometimes, celebrity gossip.

Last edited by Chaka; 04-26-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,351,842 times
Instead of rambling on about learned opinions of San Antonio's cost living go to post 16 in the SA=Low wage thread. I would hope the federal reserve bank of Dallas has more knowledge on the subject than city data posters.

Last edited by rynetwo; 04-26-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM

130 posts, read 253,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
In all seriousness, where in CT did you live? I can't think of any cities in CT even approaching the size of San Antonio. I used to live in a small city in CT dominated by a major university. Sure, you heard intellectual talk quite frequently (usually over beer there too, as there was no Wendy's or other chain in town), but in a smaller city with more academic types than not, it's not surprising.

San Antonio is huge by comparison. And while all are not as highly ranked, we have 4 universities in town (UTSA, OLLU, Trinity, UIW), a huge biomedical sector (lots of PhDs and MDs), a significant research center (SwRI, among others, again, loads of PhDs, MSc types), but they're scattered across 1200 sq miles and 1.5 million people. To hear those kinds of conversations, you just need to be in those circles. I hear more than my fair share of physics discussions thankyouverymuch ;-)

All that said, even the intellectual types enjoy discussing other things....like quality of beer, music, wine, food, gardening, art, movies, raising kids, and bad jokes. And even sometimes, celebrity gossip.
You are going to laugh when i tell you where. It was actually in bridgeport, shocking I know.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
You are going to laugh when i tell you where. It was actually in bridgeport, shocking I know.
Your Wendy's physics discussion notwithstanding, I wouldn't compare education levels in Bridgeport with San Antonio. Was this a regular occurence and was it the same people?

FWIW - I recall being in DC at a coffee shop and loving hearing conversations in at least 4 different languages around me. I missed that while living in San Antonio. Until I thought about it, and I hear conversations in at least 3 languages around me on a regular basis, sometimes more....

Seriously, it's all about with whom you interact. And where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio