Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 AM

130 posts, read 253,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Your Wendy's physics discussion notwithstanding, I wouldn't compare education levels in Bridgeport with San Antonio. Was this a regular occurence and was it the same people?

FWIW - I recall being in DC at a coffee shop and loving hearing conversations in at least 4 different languages around me. I missed that while living in San Antonio. Until I thought about it, and I hear conversations in at least 3 languages around me on a regular basis, sometimes more....

Seriously, it's all about with whom you interact. And where.
Well, I was just visiting that place and it was just shocking to here it in Bridgeport, that I still remember it.

In other places in CT and NY it was common for people to be speaking 2-3 languages (especially NY for obvious reasons), and talking about philosophy, science, math, and politics.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,408,484 times
Well, as someone that has lived here almost exactly 11 years and will be leaving in about two weeks, I lay almost all the blame on the people. Not sure if it's something in the water or what, but a LOT of the people here are just very bad; there's really no other acceptable term I can come up with. I'm not saying everyone, just a very disproportionate majority compared to other places I've lived and visited. There are just too many rude, extremely uneducated, and dishonest people here. Not a day goes by where I don't see examples EVERYWHERE and I'm always reminded of them almost immediately upon arrival when I return from vacations or business trips. It's like I get off the plane and it's a severe case of instant depression.
For all the fanboys and girls, enjoy it. For those considering a move here, check yourself and PLEASE VISIT THE ACTUAL CITY FIRST!!! Don't visit the riverwalk and think you've experienced San Antonio. Drive around with your eyes and ears open and really think about whether or not you can accept this place. I'm sure there are worse places to live in this country, but this one was by far the worst I've ever lived in and the same goes for my wife and both kids. I wish I could take the kids with me, but they're stuck here on their own for now unfortunately.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM

77 posts, read 125,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
we have 4 universities in town (UTSA, OLLU, Trinity, UIW)
You forgot St. Mary's and TAMUSA.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,561,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
You forgot St. Mary's and TAMUSA.
Of course. 6! That's a lot.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,355,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Well, as someone that has lived here almost exactly 11 years and will be leaving in about two weeks, I lay almost all the blame on the people. Not sure if it's something in the water or what, but a LOT of the people here are just very bad; there's really no other acceptable term I can come up with. I'm not saying everyone, just a very disproportionate majority compared to other places I've lived and visited. There are just too many rude, extremely uneducated, and dishonest people here. Not a day goes by where I don't see examples EVERYWHERE and I'm always reminded of them almost immediately upon arrival when I return from vacations or business trips. It's like I get off the plane and it's a severe case of instant depression.
For all the fanboys and girls, enjoy it. For those considering a move here, check yourself and PLEASE VISIT THE ACTUAL CITY FIRST!!! Don't visit the riverwalk and think you've experienced San Antonio. Drive around with your eyes and ears open and really think about whether or not you can accept this place. I'm sure there are worse places to live in this country, but this one was by far the worst I've ever lived in and the same goes for my wife and both kids. I wish I could take the kids with me, but they're stuck here on their own for now unfortunately.
San Antonio is a metro over two million people and growing at 41,000+ people a year. Some of those people might be like you and are stuck in this city for a job or career. I really hope they have a better attitude about it than you because your misery comes across in post frequently.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,408,484 times
well, I guess none of you all will have to worry about that in another couple weeks now will you?

I'll get over it, so don't fret..

Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,719,970 times
Just remember...don't drive on the left lane on the autobahn unless you have the car to handle it. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM

359 posts, read 774,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm not saying everyone, just a very disproportionate majority compared to other places I've lived and visited.
Would those be fantasy island, la-la land, narnia and du loc?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,561,730 times
For all those lamenting the lack of education in this city, have you heard about Café College? http://www.cafecollege.org/home
Have you volunteered with the San Antonio Literacy Program? http://sayl.org/
How about Girls Inc SA http://www.girlsincsa.com/?
Or Project Worth? http://www.sanantonio.gov/health/PW-Main.html

San Antonio does have an appallingly low rate of high school graduation, and our teen pregnancy rate (3x the national average) is horrible (even if it has improved lately). But many in this city are taking steps to improve all of that. Much of it is cultural (I don't mean just ethnically) - it's a cycle. If you don't know anyone, or know very few who graduate high school, if most women you know were pregnant by 17, if you don't know anyone who went to college or has a professional position, it's difficult to aspire to something more. We teach both by example and by assisting. It's all improving. Slowly, but it's improving. Do you support those state programs that support our schools? Do you support those state and local leaders who actively promote and support education for all?

Kudos to those leaders in our city and state who have made education a priority and are doing as much possible to improve the educated populace of San Antonio. And to those private citizens who make the difference.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,881,756 times
That is so very true, people learn certain skill sets necessary to navigate the better parts of society. As with any skill it must be learned through example. Most decisions individuals make are actually based on what social cluster they are in. The same problems facing San Antonio also plague many other cities especially throughout the South.

Quote:
Mexican Americans attained higher levels of education when they knew professionals as children, when their parents were more educated and when their parents were more involved in school and church activities.
Quote:
Their limited schooling locks many of them into a future of low socioeconomic status
Mexican American integration slow, education stalled, study finds / UCLA Newsroom

We are not unique in being a city people leave and it is doubtful we will ever become one that attracts the gentrified masses. That puts us pretty square with the rest of the US. Some select cities have the corporate structure and command while the rest of us are just colonized by them where our resources are shipped out as quarterly profit margins, to use imperialism as a metaphor.

This is not to say we should not have aspirations but they should be realistic. Comparing the highly old-moneyed New England states to us or the rest of the country is not very fair. We could certainly up our educational game, especially in the urban core, and while we still won't be competing with Yale we would have definitely improved our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio