Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,417,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
^ two degrees? Maybe you need to get some experience and skills, bro. Don't blame the government or society. Things will never change. Winter comes, summer goes. Summer comes, winter goes. Economy will be the same. We can not change the circumstances. What people need to do is work on improving themselves, not their job..hence they will be doing the same stuff forever with the same pay. What we have at the moment is what we've attracted by the person we've become. If you bring something of value to the marketplace, people will hire you.

There is absolutely nothing I hate more than someone that blames others and does not do a d*mn thing to improve themselves (not pointing the finger at you). This is why I believe the minimum wage level down here should be even lower than it is. It's a ladder system. America is unique. Everyone comes here to be a part of this marketplace. The American Dream. There is no Polish Dream. There is no Chinese Dream. There is no German Dream.

Get out there and sell yourself!
There is nothing more that I dislike than elitism.

Ok, so let's say, I get a great job and everything is perfect and wonderful...ok...Problem solved!

What about the millions of "other" American students (aside from myself) who have hundreds of thousands in student loan debt, credit card debt, millions of Americans who are one payment away from foreclosure, millions of Americans underemployed, millions of Americans who can't afford to go to college....the list goes on and on and on! What about them?

We live in a system which for decades has been slowing eradicating the middle and working class poor's opportunities. If you are in the military you are given wonderful opportunities which you have EARNED because you served our country! But where would these brave men and women BE today, IF, they didn't have that opportunity to join the military? Certainly, not where they are now.

How many more brave men and women who play by the rules, and are good citizens would love to have that opportunity to have a college education but for whatever reason didn't/can't join the military?

YOU KNOW, something is wrong, when we live in a society in which, many young brave men and women join the military for a free college education and healthcare and benefits which they EARN and because they want a better way of life. The majority of the brave young men and women who serve our country come from poor and middle class households who WANT a better life for themselves and for their family.

We shouldn't live in a country where you HAVE TO join the military in order to have a comfortable living and life with your family. EVERY American should be afforded an opportunity like that regardless of whether they join the military or not. I'm in no way saying we should have free college education for everyone, but the way the system is now...unless you join the military, if you want a "good" college education, be prepared for MASSIVE student loan debt.

The higher education system is a mess and is turning young bright prospective students away from wanting to achieve the American dream and contribute to our society.

I'm not "blaming" anyone. I'm just giving a stark look at the policies and the system which have been in place which really only benefit the few in our society.

People are starting to get upset and say enough is enough! The 99% do matter!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,832,709 times
I have yet to meet an educated person who uses the terms "dude" and "bro" constantly.

Maybe college freshmen do, but I would expect them to grow out of it by the 4th year.

This place is starting to crawl under my skin lately.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,588,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I have yet to meet an educated person who uses the terms "dude" and "bro" constantly.

Maybe college freshmen do, but I would expect them to grow out of it by the 4th year.
haha. I use "dude" all the time, but it's usually to avoid using a much more foul word in front of my kids, when I'm annoyed at some stupid driver.

But then I'm from California, where "Dude" has 78 meanings.

(on a serious note, I don't use the term in professional discussions, but amongst friends? Sure. And I know plenty of PhDs and MDs who use it as much in casual settings)

Last edited by Chaka; 04-24-2012 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,588,845 times
And a counter point to the original article posted

http://www.sanantoniojoe.com/2012/04...g-san-antonio/

"The only thing keeping San Antonio lame is the people who can’t see what is right in front of them."

Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM

231 posts, read 816,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

This place is starting to crawl under my skin lately.
have you been to California? CA has higher ranked public universities than Texas and "dude" and "bro" are the norm out there. How do I know? I was born and raised in SoCal dude.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
^ two degrees? Maybe you need to get some experience and skills, bro. Don't blame the government or society. Things will never change. Winter comes, summer goes. Summer comes, winter goes. Economy will be the same. We can not change the circumstances. What people need to do is work on improving themselves, not their job..hence they will be doing the same stuff forever with the same pay. What we have at the moment is what we've attracted by the person we've become. If you bring something of value to the marketplace, people will hire you.

There is absolutely nothing I hate more than someone that blames others and does not do a d*mn thing to improve themselves (not pointing the finger at you). This is why I believe the minimum wage level down here should be even lower than it is. It's a ladder system. America is unique. Everyone comes here to be a part of this marketplace. The American Dream. There is no Polish Dream. There is no Chinese Dream. There is no German Dream.

Get out there and sell yourself!
what the #### are you talking about? Did you even read my post?

SA has a large hispanic/mexican population.

Mexican culture does not value/encourage education, generally speaking.

What you have in SA is a large demographic of people that are uneducated/unskilled. Mexicans make up the majority of that group. How do I know this? 1) look at the ethnic demographics of SA 2) I am mexican-american, I know mexican culture here in the US. you understand? The large mexican demographic is at the root as to why SA has the labor demographic it has which leads to why Fortune 500 corps are slow to come to SA.

What makes you think I am blaming society for my problems?

Yes I have two degrees. Yes I moved to SA to gain entry level experience that I could not get in CA because I work in a very small field. I could have chosen other cities but SA is a good fit for me because I get paid peanuts relatively speaking and SA has a low cost of living. Now that I have obtained experience, I need to relocate again because SA does not have career growth opportunities in my field. I am exactly the type of person the article is talking about.

I am just trying to understand how in the world you could have read my post and thought I was blaming society?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,973,254 times
@TexasGuy: U mad bro? Seriously, relax...no need to go on the attack.

--Dim

Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
@TexasGuy: U mad bro? Seriously, relax...no need to go on the attack.

--Dim
me mad? over an anonymous internet post? No. more like confused

Its like me asking someone what their favorite color is and they respond back telling me they like to eat bananas and swing from tree to tree.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,832,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
have you been to California? CA has higher ranked public universities than Texas and "dude" and "bro" are the norm out there. How do I know? I was born and raised in SoCal dude.
Except for layover at LAX, I have not been to California.

I have no desire to go to California or reside in a such bankrupted, overpriced state.

If their schools are much better then why can't the whole state reflect this?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,758,625 times
dude(s)....it's all good. It's just an internet forum. You all should see what they write in the Politics forum here...pretty wild stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio