Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:34 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,159 times

Advertisements

Delaine Mathieu posted this on her facebook page.

I love what I do for a living. Being a tv news reporter is extremely rewarding and fullfilling..and I'm so proud to be one. But on days like today, I wish I could just be like everyone else and simply turn off the tv. Sometimes, the news is just too painful to hear..much less, report. Today, a 22-year-old mother stabbed her own children, only 1 and 3 years old, to death. Police say they were found lying together, shoulder to shoulder, on their beds. When reporters asked the mother why she did it -- she told them to f-off..not a hint of remorse in her eyes. I'd ask how in the hell something so evil like that can happen...but I know the answer: it just does. I've reported similar stories a hundred times throughout my career...but nowhere more than San Antonio. One viewer asked me if SA was becoming the child killing capital of the nation. I don't know how to reply. My only hope is that, by reporting these stories, someone who has the ability to change things...will be listening.
Thanks for letting me vent, my friends. Below, is my blog on child abuse.--- Delaine Mathieu

Hell is for Children | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

This is so sad all the child abuse that happens in SA. I don't understand how a parent could kill their kid. I wish there was something we could do to make this stop. Some people should be not parents and the ones that are parents need to learn to take care of their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Thanks for posting. Anyone who had a crappy childhood should be on their knees every day, thankful that at least they came out alive. And yes, I know "they are in a better place" but here is where they should be.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
I don't know the details of this particular case, perhaps the mother suffers from some sort of undiagnosed mental disorder or she is on drugs. Either way two very innocent little human beings are no longer alive, murdered by the person who is supposed to protect them, love and nuture them unconditionally.

It is amazing how many "parents" I have met that genuinely do not care for or about their own flesh and blood. So many parents choose to turn a blind eye when their own child cries out to them. I have witnessed this firsthand and it pains me everytime no matter how much I try to seperate myself from their situation. Often parents who abuse and neglect their children were they themselves victims of childhood abuse. They were probably never treated, they may never have had an outcry, or told anyone - they go on to have their own children who they in turn mistreat. Its a vicious cycle that seemingly has no end.

I dont know what could have been done to prevent this horrible, recent situation from happening. The news has stated there were no report of child abuse, but there was domestic abuse. But because there were no reports does not necessarily mean that it was not taking place. These children were 1 and 3 years old, probably with very little contact beyond the confines of their own home, making it nearly impossible for them to tell anyone what was going on.

This is just sad but we must not become unsympathetic or accepting that this is just a San Antonio thing that apparently happens often. IF this really bothers you, moves you, pains you - then do something about it. Mentor a young parent, donate your time or money to organizations that provide services to abused children.

If you are a parent yourself, hug your child tightly and tell them how much you unconditionally love them everyday.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,591 times
This is so tragic, just heart-breaking-- much like all the recent stories of babies dying because they were sleeping with parents. I know co-sleeping can start debates, but I think it's ridiculous. Then, there's the whole baby Gabriel story...I am ashamed of San Antonio's reputation these days. Our relatives in other states keep asking us what is going on down here. In all of these cases, there should have been a better outcome; think of all the couples waiting to adopt children in to loving homes.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM

221 posts, read 561,984 times
I just read about this mother on mysa.com it does seem as if SA has had countless number of children under 3 deaths in the past couple years...we must all pull together as San Antonians and ask our selves what can we do to help?

As much as it pains my heart to hear of a mother doing such a thing to her precious gifts....you can only pray to the lord for taking back his angels....may they rest in peace

Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
It's very difficult to hear how the mom reacted to the situation. I second perticusrex's thought on the mother having a mental disorder or on drugs.
I think sometimes neighbors suspect something but don't report for fear they may be wrong or fear of the authorities not finding anything and the investigation was for nothing but then again we have had children lose their lives in the hands of their parents even when investigators studied the situation.
So the solution or the prevention of this is multifaceted:
- increase mental health and drug abuse services (Texas is way below on this scale in the mid 40's of in the list of mental health services provided by each state)
- neighbors to look out for one another
- laws to make it easier to release children from the custody of a parent who no longer wants to care for their child

Old 02-03-2010, 12:34 PM

221 posts, read 561,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It's very difficult to hear how the mom reacted to the situation. I second perticusrex's thought on the mother having a mental disorder or on drugs.
I think sometimes neighbors suspect something but don't report for fear they may be wrong or fear of the authorities not finding anything and the investigation was for nothing but then again we have had children lose their lives in the hands of their parents even when investigators studied the situation.
So the solution or the prevention of this is multifaceted:
- increase mental health and drug abuse services (Texas is way below on this scale in the mid 40's of in the list of mental health services provided by each state)
- neighbors to look out for one another
- laws to make it easier to release children from the custody of a parent who no longer wants to care for their child

my dad was a mental and drug abuse counselor from the early 80's to the mid 90's he now owns a successful case management agency...a lot of these young lower income families are not aware of the free health services offered....there needs to be more education and awareness of such free programs

Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawatchdog View Post
my dad was a mental and drug abuse counselor from the early 80's to the mid 90's he now owns a successful case management agency...a lot of these young lower income families are not aware of the free health services offered....there needs to be more education and awareness of such free programs
Very true sawatchdog!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM

272 posts, read 640,065 times
I blame it on lack of education, San Antonio has alot of uneducated and poor people. Another indication of this shows with all of the stray animals. No matter how stupid or poor these people are, it doesn't excuse their lack of compassion or morals. People in this town need to get educated , stop popping kids out like a pez dispenser, and spay and neuter their pets

Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
I blame it on lack of education, San Antonio has a lot of uneducated and poor people. Another indication of this shows with all of the stray animals. No matter how stupid or poor these people are, it doesn't excuse their lack of compassion or morals. People in this town need to get educated , stop popping kids out like a pez dispenser, and spay and neuter their pets
This. The only thing that can meaningfully reduce child abuse and neglect is personal responsibility. The problem is that people that have the hardest time with personal responsibility are the ones that end up poor and who stay poor the longest, are more likely to have children before they're ready to care for them properly, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio