Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
No one has to have that debt. Some of us starting working at one of these low paying call centers here that pay for our school. College is not owed to anyone but the military. If you are willing to put your life on the line for the country then you deserve college at the very least.
I agree with you. As a taxpayer, I have no objection paying for the college education of those that fight for our country...even for those that are cocky enough to degrade us into second rate citizens for not serving.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
No one has to have that debt. Some of us starting working at one of these low paying call centers here that pay for our school. College is not owed to anyone but the military. If you are willing to put your life on the line for the country then you deserve college at the very least.
It wasn't the debt that i was speaking about (I fully understand it is my burden). It was what seemed to be an utter disregard for the work I have put in as not as important as military service that put me off.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM

231 posts, read 813,832 times
The articles echos what I have been saying in other posts and since I moved to SA. It all boils down to the large group of unskilled, uneducated part of the labor force that makes up a significant part of the demographic here in SA.

Unfortunately, mexican culture in many ways is part of the problem here in SA. The mexican culture is great as far as the food and the celebrations etc. but mexican culture generally speaking does not value /encourage education. With no education comes limited opportunity, with limited opportunity comes lower wages. What fortune 500 company is going to want to relocate to a city that does not have a labor force that meets its needs? If the fortune 500 companies are not coming here then why in the world would young educated professionals stay here in SA? This is why someone like myself(mexican-american) who has two degrees is trying to get the hell out of San Antonio ASAP. This city offers very little for the younger educated professional.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
^ two degrees? Maybe you need to get some experience and skills, bro. Don't blame the government or society. Things will never change. Winter comes, summer goes. Summer comes, winter goes. Economy will be the same. We can not change the circumstances. What people need to do is work on improving themselves, not their job..hence they will be doing the same stuff forever with the same pay. What we have at the moment is what we've attracted by the person we've become. If you bring something of value to the marketplace, people will hire you.

There is absolutely nothing I hate more than someone that blames others and does not do a d*mn thing to improve themselves (not pointing the finger at you). This is why I believe the minimum wage level down here should be even lower than it is. It's a ladder system. America is unique. Everyone comes here to be a part of this marketplace. The American Dream. There is no Polish Dream. There is no Chinese Dream. There is no German Dream.

Get out there and sell yourself!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM

130 posts, read 253,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
^ two degrees? Maybe you need to get some experience and skills, bro. Don't blame the government or society. Things will never change. Winter comes, summer goes. Summer comes, winter goes. Economy will be the same. We can not change the circumstances. What people need to do is work on improving themselves, not their job..hence they will be doing the same stuff forever with the same pay. What we have at the moment is what we've attracted by the person we've become. If you bring something of value to the marketplace, people will hire you.

There is absolutely nothing I hate more than someone that blames others and does not do a d*mn thing to improve themselves (not pointing the finger at you). This is why I believe the minimum wage level down here should be even lower than it is. It's a ladder system. America is unique. Everyone comes here to be a part of this marketplace. The American Dream. There is no Polish Dream. There is no Chinese Dream. There is no German Dream.

Get out there and sell yourself!
TexasGuy22, does have an accurate point. He is not blaming our society, he is stating the facts of the society itself. San Antonio, just doesn't have that level entry positions that would continue to foster long term growth. San Antonio, has been focusing on the "now" and continues to do so, with short term growth.

Any of the vastly educated people that are here in San Antonio, are not native born, they are transplants, and of the very few that are from San Antonio, they got their education in other places.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcool View Post
Any of the vastly educated people that are here in San Antonio, are not native born, they are transplants, and of the very few that are from San Antonio, they got their education in other places.
Is that so bad?
While brain drain is a problem, it's very true that educated people tend to move around more mainly because any one city will have a limited number of professional opportunities, and that people willing to do so will seek education elsewhere. It's part of what creates life in a city - new blood, new ideas, new experiences to contribute. So I don't think we truly have brain drain in San Antonio, at least not to the extent the author fears. I think we have brain exchange, and that is a good thing.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 PM

130 posts, read 253,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Is that so bad?
While brain drain is a problem, it's very true that educated people tend to move around more mainly because any one city will have a limited number of professional opportunities, and that people willing to do so will seek education elsewhere. It's part of what creates life in a city - new blood, new ideas, new experiences to contribute. So I don't think we truly have brain drain in San Antonio, at least not to the extent the author fears. I think we have brain exchange, and that is a good thing.
Its not really an exchange, San Antonio has a brain exchange deficit. More and more of its educated population is leaving than staying. Plus, the only reason why some (not all) of these transplants come in the first place, is because of the brain drain.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcool View Post
Its not really an exchange, San Antonio has a brain exchange deficit. More and more of its educated population is leaving than staying. Plus, the only reason why some (not all) of these transplants come in the first place, is because of the brain drain.
I won't argue it, as I don't have hard data. I'd love to see it though - how many educated professionals have moved to SA and how many have moved away.

I don't agree, though, that educated professionals are coming here because SA can't find educated professionals in their midst. It's the nature of education - it pushes people to seek out new opportunities. In any higher end position, the expectation is there that you will move as professional opportunities present themselves. This is as true in big cities like Chicago as it is in small cities. True, smaller cities have fewer opportunities, that's to be expected and can't be helped that much, but if there is "brain drain" by natives, and transplants are coming in, that is an exchange. We educated people all came from somewhere though, "draining" that local population.

I may be biased though, as I think it's hugely important for young people to go someplace new, if not for university then for their first job after. As an employer, I often looked closer at those who had studied elsewhere, who have positions in other cities. Obviously qualifications were important, but experience beyond a small cocoon, experience outside one's comfort zone, was important.

I strongly encourage my college students, most of whom are native Texans, many of whom are native San Antonians, to move outside the city or state when they graduate. Not because they can't find a job here, but because there's a whole world out there to explore!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
Quote:
No one has to have thousands of dollars in credit card debt, yet millions of Americans do.

You say, "Some of us starting working at one of these low paying call centers here that pay for our school."

Wow. Talk about out of touch. Let's see maybe my reply will be: some of us want to achieve higher education and do better for ourselves, even if, college isn't affordable because we believe and have hope in an American dream.

Just because you were fortunate some "call center" paid for your college, doesn't mean millions of Americans who are in student loan debt (and credit card debt for that matter) "have" a call center or some other business to pay for them.

And as I said in my previous post, I have no problem with what they receive, my thing is that every American taxpaying citizen should have that too. After all, it is about the American dream for ALL Americans right? Or just some?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttx View Post
i agree with you. As a taxpayer, i have no objection paying for the college education of those that fight for our country...even for those that are cocky enough to degrade us into second rate citizens for not serving.
+1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio