Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,102,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growing_gaines View Post

What most civilians fail to understand is that the benefits that veterans receive are not a "gift" to a select group of people. Men and women that serve in the military GENERALLY work outrageously more hours, in worse conditions, then most civilian jobs even on a bad day. They are usually (unless high ranking) paid wages that a lot of people would scoff at. They and their families live a life that no civilian can truly understand without experiencing it. The point though, is that they do all of this to serve this country and provide the MANY benefits that you do get and enjoy. People like to say "oh of course I support the military" and "I'm thankful for your service BUT" the benefits that veterans receive (education, medical coverage for service related ailments) are part of their "payment" by this nation for the time, blood, sweat, and tears that they sacrificed to provide civilians and all American citizens with the lifestyle that they enjoy.

The concept of a country where every citizen was given similar benefits is ridiculous because "every American" has not EARNED these benefits like those who have honorably served. This wasn't necessarily directed at just your comments, and I understand what you're saying, but I feel that ALOT of people disreguard these realities and like to think that they deserve the same benefits as veterans, and it simply isn't the case.
Agreed, there are 21.8 million veterans in the United States (or roughly 7% of the population, based on a total US population of 313,937,000 (2012 estimate)). Not all are getting full benefits, but each had definitely earned what they are receiving.

I would gladly compare my 25 years in uniform to someone who has never served, and see how many birthdays, anniversaries and other special events I've missed because I was in some "exotic" location. And to be honest, I am nowhere near the upper end of the spectrum when it comes to sacrifices, there are those who are now spent several years total deployed to such garden spots as Iraq and Afghanistan.

As for those "benefits," they are being taken away piece by piece on a regular basis. When I joining in 1981, I was told if I served until retirement that I would have free health benefits for the rest of my life. Guess what? That definition of "free" has changed considerably, and will get even worse because some feel that it is more important to offer that to those who never served their country than those who have! They can't just print more money, so somebody's got to pay.

And locally, as many of you know, while the military population of San Antonio continues to grow; the health facilities that serve it is shrinking. The hospital at Lackland is in the process of becoming only a clinic, and the clinic on the former Kelly AFB (now Port SA) has been closed altogether. Appointments for some specialty clinics are taking weeks or months to get, even though we are paying for that service.

Additionally, education benefits are diminishing; the services simply don't have the money to sustain such programs for those in uniform; while certain politicians are more than willing to extend them to those who never served.

Lastly, my disabled benefits received due to issues incurred during military service are not equivalent to those in the private sector or even for government civilians. I should receive them above and beyond my retirement pay, but all I get is basically a "tax break" which means I take a reduced retirement stipend every month and get that difference paid back from the VA with taxes excluded. So while I have a 60% disability rating, that translates into a small additional increase in my compensation.

Given the large military community in this city, and its claim in being 'Military City, USA,' San Antonio of all places should support and welcome the benefits its veterans receive as they flow right back into the city's economy. Arguing how they are "earned" is ridiculous, most who do so have never spent time in the military therefore are unaware of the true sacrifices that are made not only by the servicemember but also their family. It is one of those things that a person has to experience firsthand to completely understand, no amount of research or speculation comes close to the true hardships someone in uniform has to endure during their service; and for that I see a clear distinction between what some feel is an 'entitlement' and what is truly 'earned'...

Cheers! M2

Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 70,293 times
We came here for work. The company my husband works for could not find a qualified candidate in Texas. It is a rather specialized job.

Why would I leave? Having been raised in southern Cal, nothing could have prepared me for the weather in the summer. People told me it would be hot, I thought Phoenix or Palm Springs. Weather not cooling down, even at night, is hell for an outdoors person like myself. I could take my kids to the park at 10am and stay until 3pm. However, this is my FIRST summer, so I am sure there are things I need to learn about coping with the heat/humidity.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,291,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanocsd View Post
I could take my kids to the park at 10am and stay until 3pm. However, this is my FIRST summer, so I am sure there are things I need to learn about coping with the heat/humidity.

Any suggestions?
Take the kids to the park at 8am and stay until noon.

Seriously, people here shift their outdoor activities to earlier in the day. Construction crews start their summer workday at 5am. On the days when the sky is overcast, the mornings are fairly tolerable.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanocsd View Post
We came here for work. The company my husband works for could not find a qualified candidate in Texas. It is a rather specialized job.

Why would I leave? Having been raised in southern Cal, nothing could have prepared me for the weather in the summer. People told me it would be hot, I thought Phoenix or Palm Springs. Weather not cooling down, even at night, is hell for an outdoors person like myself. I could take my kids to the park at 10am and stay until 3pm. However, this is my FIRST summer, so I am sure there are things I need to learn about coping with the heat/humidity.

Any suggestions?
If it's any consolation, you will get acclimated to it. I used to think it was dry here, being originally from Florida; but now the humidity is starting to feel worse.

However, I can take triple-digit heat as long as its moisture content is low.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-27-2012, 02:43 PM

413 posts, read 745,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growing_gaines View Post
Men and women that serve in the military GENERALLY work outrageously more hours, in worse conditions, then most civilian jobs even on a bad day. They are usually (unless high ranking) paid wages that a lot of people would scoff at.
Absolutely not. You think you're the only one who's ever worked all through the night or 10 days straight? People shovel garbage and pick up trash for a living. I hate the notion that every member of the military is in Afghanistan in 140F temperatures in a dust storm dodging bullets. You really do a disservice with those types of fabrications. As for the wages, what company would hire you at 18 with no skills and no education, while feeding, clothing, and housing you, and still giving you a good salary? Factories in China hire people like that for 10 cents per hour.

Last edited by ItsTheTruth; 07-27-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM

38 posts, read 137,421 times
You must have missed the capitalized generally and "most civilian jobs". But yes, there are some people who have worse jobs. I didn't say anything about Afghanistan or dodging bullets, there are many many more things that people do in the military on a regular basis (not in combat) that are far beyond what a civilian job entails! Not to mention that these things are in direct service of your countries liberties and freedoms. Again wasn't necessarily talking about 18 year olds, but even 18 year olds with "no education" are not fed clothed and housed by the military on top of good wages? Since you brought up 18 year olds an E-1 (which is what most 18 year olds will be) makes 17,892 a year before taxes, and they pay for their own food, clothes, and living out of living costs allowance that, and sometimes out of pocket when it comes to food, clothing, and military uniforms. Your comments demonstrate exactly what I said about people not understanding the details unless they have lived it. I could go on and on with examples but that's obviously pointless.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM

A regular 18 year old with no education will get $7.25 an hour. That $14,790 with no housing allowance while paying for their own food and clothing. Oh you want medical too? Sorry, you've been cut back to 30 hours per week so you don't qualify. Cry me a river.

Thanks for protecting my freedom in some country that 95% of Americans can't point out on a map.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
A regular 18 year old with no education will get $7.25 an hour. That $14,790 with no housing allowance while paying for their own food and clothing. Oh you want medical too? Sorry, you've been cut back to 30 hours per week so you don't qualify. Cry me a river.

Thanks for protecting my freedom in some country that 95% of Americans can't point out on a map.
So the made-up fact that most Americans are geographically ignorant has anything to do with the brave men and women serving overseas?

Oh, and you've worked long hours and shoveled ****; big deal. I doubt you had anyone trying to kill you while you were doing it. I also would suspect you got to go home afterwards, not some canvas cot in a stinking hot tent 10,000 miles from home.

I just love the ignorant comments about protecting a person's freedom by someone who has never done it. It's even ironic that the freedom to make such moronic statements is protected by the very people they are directed at.

You haven't been there and shouldn't be talking about things you have no firsthand knowledge of.

By the way, when I enlisted at age 18 I was making under minimum wage in the military.

And be careful about crying rivers, sometimes you get washed up in all that self-pity!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
So the made-up fact that most Americans are geographically ignorant has anything to do with the brave men and women serving overseas?
Sorry, I was off by 5%. It was 90% that couldn't find Afghanistan on a map.

Young Americans Geographically Illiterate, Survey Suggests

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Oh, and you've worked long hours and shoveled ****; big deal. I doubt you had anyone trying to kill you while you were doing it. I also would suspect you got to go home afterwards, not some canvas cot in a stinking hot tent 10,000 miles from home.

I just love the ignorant comments about protecting a person's freedom by someone who has never done it. It's even ironic that the freedom to make such moronic statements is protected by the very people they are directed at.
Have you ever lived through a real war? I have. Ever seen entire branches of your family slaughtered? I have. What the hell do I know, right? Obviously Mr. Big American Soldier knows it all and is here to save the day. Do you wake up with this horrible sense of entitlement and actually believe that you helped someone? You were a pawn, and it looks like the brainwashing hasn't faded. You were paid to do a job, not protect some fake notion of freedom.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Have you ever lived through a real war? I have. Ever seen entire branches of your family slaughtered? I have. What the hell do I know, right? Obviously Mr. Big American Soldier knows it all and is here to save the day. Do you wake up with this horrible sense of entitlement and actually believe that you helped someone? You were a pawn, and it looks like the brainwashing hasn't faded. You were paid to do a job, not protect some fake notion of freedom.
And you were a victim, a bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time. And since you obviously made it out of whatever war zone you claim to have survived, I guarantee that a whole lot of people risked their lives to save yours.

But if there's anyone who sounds like they feel they're "entitled," it's you. Obviously you have no respect for those who served the country that adopted you, provided you safety, shelter and shelter from whatever hellhole you came from. It is that ingratitude that reflect poorly on anyone who would so blatantly badmouth a country that has done so much for them when they've done so little for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio