Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2021, 03:44 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times

Advertisements

Except for my divorce period of a 35 year marriage, everyday has been the best day of my life. Just a new phase.

Today it's decent health, some savings, the ability to travel, freedom and working whenever I want or don't.

It's a good day in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 06:08 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Actually, not entirely true. There are objective factors of happiness that are universal. Productivity and love are known to be fundamental. But we also need to consider age. As one gets older, the scope of life shrinks and one must be satisfied with fewer and more modest goals. Just a function of diminished energy, health, time remaining to exist, and other reduced potentials. At that point, happiness probably shifts and one might be content with just existing in some degree of comfort. But when you look at life in total, happiness entails being productive and exerting effort and making things happen. Sunsets aren’t sufficient when you are 20 and building your empire. The old saying “you are what you do” comes to mind. You’ve got to be accomplishing SOMETHING, even if you are 90 and the exit is in plain sight.
"There you go again." Your insistence that everyone need be productive to be happy may well be a credo by which you live but many of us have no such requirement for ourselves or those close to us. Goal seeking is far from any idea many have for finding happiness. I cannot agree that happiness is elusive to those who view it subjectively rather than your objective standard you claim to be universal.

Old sayings are nothing more than opinions, not truisms, and are often quite wrong for many. I always have enjoyed a nice sunset, especially on a quiet beach; I trust that will never change - it is a very rewarding "SOMETHING" to me, but not at all an accomplishment.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
"There you go again." Your insistence that everyone need be productive to be happy may well be a credo by which you live but many of us have no such requirement for ourselves or those close to us. Goal seeking is far from any idea many have for finding happiness. I cannot agree that happiness is elusive to those who view it subjectively rather than your objective standard you claim to be universal.

Old sayings are nothing more than opinions, not truisms, and are often quite wrong for many. I always have enjoyed a nice sunset, especially on a quiet beach; I trust that will never change - it is a very rewarding "SOMETHING" to me, but not at all an accomplishment.
You can enjoy sunsets. But you still have to do something in life. Leverage your talent. Accomplish something. Build something. You can't sit around staring at things. Not all the time. Sunsets are a good break from the actual business of life: doing things. If you walk on beaches and stare at bees all the time, that kind of sounds like hell. Even if it's just home projects, carpentry, sewing, cooking. It's got to be something. Do or die!

Old 10-06-2021, 07:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
You can enjoy sunsets. But you still have to do something in life. Leverage your talent. Accomplish something. Build something. You can't sit around staring at things. Not all the time. Sunsets are a good break from the actual business of life: doing things. If you walk on beaches and stare at bees all the time, that kind of sounds like hell. Even if it's just home projects, carpentry, sewing, cooking. It's got to be something. Do or die!
No, I don't have to do anything nor does anyone else simply because you must. You may have a need to do things, you may have the need to build things and accomplish something. That is fine - for you, but it is not necessary for everyone. Unlike you, I can sit around staring at things, I do not require "the actual business of life" because life is not a business. Walking on the beach may be your own private little hell but why do you profess the same for everyone? At no time in this conversation have you even slightly indicated that your preferences do not apply to everyone, just the opposite. How is it you came to believe your way is the only way?

Old 10-07-2021, 05:35 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No, I don't have to do anything nor does anyone else simply because you must. You may have a need to do things, you may have the need to build things and accomplish something. That is fine - for you, but it is not necessary for everyone. Unlike you, I can sit around staring at things, I do not require "the actual business of life" because life is not a business. Walking on the beach may be your own private little hell but why do you profess the same for everyone? At no time in this conversation have you even slightly indicated that your preferences do not apply to everyone, just the opposite. How is it you came to believe your way is the only way?
Excerpted from Kokonutty’s eulogy: We gather today to celebrate the great kokonutty, whose hallmark was being an Observer of Things. He never did anything, and therein lied his virtue. He was a militant non-doer, spurning the mundane materialism of accomplishment and purpose. He was a notable noticer, taking note of things in the world on a level with the great historical non-doers. None of whom come to mind by name, but that perhaps being more a function of my poor memory than anything else. The ability of Koko, as he was affectionately known, to observe a sunset or spawning salmon? Really the stuff of legends.

I think I’ll always remember how still he was.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:31 AM

2,140 posts, read 362,475 times
0 - 5

Old 10-07-2021, 06:42 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,421,470 times
Yeah I have to go with now too. Being retired and working whenever i want to work is a blessing. Total freedom, better off financially than when I was young and other than assorted aches and pains that comes with aging I'm still healthy.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:41 AM

177 posts, read 121,288 times
Quote:
Can you live without purpose or love? No. You can exist. But it’s not human life worth living. Purpose and love are mandatory. Otherwise, we’re basically plants.
Words from someone who is obviously not shallow.

Just want to add that the "love" requirement doesn't have to be romantic though. That's somewhat limiting. I would say as long as you can express your love and have a place for that expression to manifest.....whether that be your community, homeless animals, orgs like big brother/big sister, etc.

I did have a good chuckle from your "basically plants" comment. I meet plenty of people who are basically ladies-who-lunch (regardless of gender) and the conversation is just a notch above plant life, which I take to be suggestive of the level of productive activity happening in their brain.

THe other problem, Marc, is that many people don't really even understand what you mean when you say the word *productive*. (I've already read a numer of responses where I can see that problem.) There is no point in having the discussion of a concept if the very concept is not understood in the first place. This, of course, is not your fault. But speaks more to who is at the table when you wish to have that discussion (in a meaningful way, at least).

Last edited by pavedwithgold; 10-07-2021 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-07-2021, 10:00 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
But what if your goal in life is to not have to do anything or be productive. Also what constitutes accomplishment? For someone maybe it’s just making it through the day to enjoy the sunset or walking on the beach and enjoying life. To me the business of life is enjoying any way I can and not how others think I should live it.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:25 AM

2,140 posts, read 362,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
0 - 5
I take this back. Yes, those were idyllic years, but being a mom to my youngsters were the best. There was a lot of hardship too, so I just went to the fairytale years of 0-5.

Seeing and helping my children develop and discover the world is something I wish I could do over and over. I think that’s why my mom was a first grade teacher - that awakening combined with cuteness - it’s amazing.

I could say now. I wish I could say now, but I’m almost out of resources. If I weren’t, now would be my third favorite time. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement