Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 12:15 AM

7,225 posts, read 4,610,631 times

Advertisements

Patrolman, I am so sorry. I hope you were able to find happiness again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 08:04 AM

22,580 posts, read 19,315,977 times
two periods come to mind

Now.
And the 10 years where I was dancing four nights a week.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It never ever occurred to me that the best days of my life or the best times of my life were when I was 'productive'!!
So I disagree. For me, at least.
And thinking and stating that being 'productive' are the best times and the most important for most everyone (as in your two sentences above) is too presumptive.
i have to agree with this post.
i don't count "productivity" (or "romance" either) as most important or essentials.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Every day I wake up and still exist is the best day of my life. There are only so many left and I know it. But in general, the best days in our lives are when we were or are very productive, and have people in our lives who love us, ESPECIALLY a romantic partner.

Romance and productivity are the keystones of a successful human life. In any culture. At any time. It's the nature of our species.
you can speak for yourself.
but not for others, and certainly not for all people in all places in all cultures across all time.

each person decides and chooses and defines what is for them "a successful human life" which by the way is not the same thing as "the best days of their life" .

Old 10-03-2021, 08:16 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,069,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i have to agree with this post.
i don't count "productivity" (or "romance" either) as most important or essentials.
Sorry, your agreement isn’t required. It is a metaphysical fact and part of our basic needs as rational animals. Purpose and love are fundamental requirements, and people without one or the other are miserable wretches. Purpose means being creative and productive. It could mean a career, or creating art, or what have you. Man determines his purpose for being alive, and satisfies that purpose through effort, focus, and action. That’s productivity. Romantic love is also a basic requirement. We see our value primarily through the eyes of those we love and value. Love is a reflection of ourselves. Without that love, you are basically an invisible mass of protoplasm. Friendships and collaborations and sibling love and even pets accomplish this to a certain degree, but romantic love with a partner you cherish is the pinnacle in this respect.

Can you live without purpose or love? No. You can exist. But it’s not human life worth living. Purpose and love are mandatory. Otherwise, we’re basically plants.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:21 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,461,446 times
Completely disagree.

I had over 45 years of “productivity” to get to this point where i can enjoy life doing NOTHING.

As for love? It’s fleeting. Yes, I have it - but if it were gone? I’d be OK. I’ve had the pleasure of being loved and loving.

I do love myself, however, if that counts.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Completely disagree.
I had over 45 years of “productivity” to get to this point where i can enjoy life doing NOTHING.
As for love? It’s fleeting. Yes, I have it - but if it were gone? I’d be OK. I’ve had the pleasure of being loved and loving.
I do love myself, however, if that counts.
bold above BINGO!
me too

actually whole post above resonates. yes.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:39 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
When I was a Provost Marshall, I had so much power, I was so in tuned with my troops.

Now, granted, the stress was enormous, I drank heavily during that time, too. So what we remember as when things were not rotten......isn't necessarily true across the board.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:08 AM

24,731 posts, read 11,055,349 times
We had great and crazy times. The best ones are always the now ones. The current now - coffee in bed watching two cats sleep. Then we face the world.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:23 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,385,770 times
Now for sure. My DH and I are healthy and never stress about crowded schedules or money. My adult son & stepdaughter and their children are all healthy and have lovely homes. I have finally learned to be selective about commitments I make and who gets to stay in my personal circle. Now, in our early 70’s we sure do live the old idiom: “Life is what happens between emergencies and crisis” and we are enjoying life right now.

The last time I felt so free was senior year in high school. I had my two besties and my long-steady boyfriend, my college acceptance letter was sitting on the shelf (accepted as a junior in HS), I had a little part time job for my pocket money and a drivers’ license and a Mom who generously shared her car. My parents and siblings were all doing great back then. A sweet, sweet year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement