Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 10:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times

Advertisements

My retirement in California and subsequent move to Maui in 2014 until Covid-19 happened.

I traveled the world and found a retirement job as a substitute high school teacher. (Kids here are awesome!)

The job afforded me the opportunity to make substantial connections with the local Hawaiian community.

I also bought an oceanfront/oceanview condo which I enjoy nonstop.

Life is good! Now if Covid-19 will just go away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 01:10 PM

56 posts, read 34,497 times
Summer of ‘69: working at my parents’ Dairy Queen…cones were 15, 25, or 35 cents. Best job ever. Now, after 45 years of grinding it out as a tax person, I’d give anything to have that DQ back, just as it was, with the neon cone sign…

https://clickamericana.com/topics/fo...s-from-the-50s

Old 10-03-2021, 01:17 PM

7,134 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Just now. Retired in a pretty village. Feel easy-going, relaxed, get to read widely, ride my bike on quiet streets, long-term happy marriage, wonderful friends and neighbors, good health.

Feel very fortunate.

Gosh I used to HATE that loud alarm clock waking me at dawn during my working years...no more...

Old 10-03-2021, 01:53 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
About being productive,
It probably means different things to different people.

Me I love having a huge garden.
Just having coffee in it and watching my chickens do their thing makes me feel good about my accomplishment.

I dig keeping bees and just give the honey away because if I sold it it would just be another job.

Taking my kayak out to set my crab pots and then supplying us a nice harvest makes me happy.
Keeping my yard nice does it for me too.

Work wise for money,
I never really loved my job even though i was very good at it and it paid well.
It was just a job.
It was always about making someone else happy.

I am so privileged that I now only have to make myself happy.
I love doing knick knacks just for myself be it gardening, foraging, hiking or farting around in the shop.
I love it because I do it for fun.
Working for wages was never fun for me.

Maybe I did that wrong.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:04 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I have to agree with Bryan about the "Summer of '69". I graduated late May '69 from HS after 12 years of Catholic schooling wearing a suit, tie, dress shoes, short hair etc... from the age of 5yo, while during high school "the 60s" was happening all around me & I wanted to take part. I also worked all during HS since we didn't have a lot of money... I had a lot of pent-up energy & frustration.

I can still vividly remember my exact emotion after graduation '69: "I'm glad that's over with!" as if crossing a finish line. I threw myself into the "Summer of '69" with gusto including attending Woodstock & all sorts of concerts... I was unable to concentrate on college studies that fall & quickly dropped out & spent a few years traveling, dabbling, working... always reading. I am forever grateful that I got a high number in the first Vietnam draft - utterly unfair & random while guys around me were forced to go.

What gives me pause is that almost all of my close buddies from that summer are dead now, the 2-3 that aren't are far-flung somewhere.

Summer of '69 was a good break from the regimentation of my past, a few years later I worked my way through university & ended up ok I think.
I went to a private high school and felt so disconnected when I got out the summer of '68 that I was totally lost for a while. Eventually, I found my way to the California dream and enjoyed a few years before it all changed in 1990, never to be seen again. The people were friendly, money grew on trees, SF 49ers ruled and even the Loma Prieta didn't break our spirit; glad I got a nibble of it while I could. Today, it isn't recognizable and totally disgusting.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:33 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
I was 7 and a half in the Summer of 69. Had my headband, my love beads, my bellbottoms, a Janice Joplin style leather hat and thoroughly wanted to be a Hippy when I grew up.

The best days of my life began in the Fall of 1980 when I met the love of my life. Things kept getting better and the 1990s were our biggest adventure together. Those were the best days of my life.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:04 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Patrolman, I am so sorry. I hope you were able to find happiness again.
Thanks, Teacher Terry. I may not have found happiness again, but I'm grateful for what I have and still have a reason to get up every morning.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:16 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingQuaker View Post
Summer of ‘69: working at my parents’ Dairy Queen…cones were 15, 25, or 35 cents. Best job ever. Now, after 45 years of grinding it out as a tax person, I’d give anything to have that DQ back, just as it was, with the neon cone sign…

https://clickamericana.com/topics/fo...s-from-the-50s
When I was 16, my mom said if you want a car, you need to get a job and pay for the insurance. That was the best thing she ever did for me. I walked into a grocery store and walked out with a job as a cashier. Why on earth they put me on a register is beyond me but I loved it. Had to ring up the groceries by hand and you would try to see how fast you could go. (Unlike now where they all look like they are stoned, they move so slowly).

They hired a lot of high school students and we all used to work hard and then party after work. I quit when I went to college and went back during summers and on breaks but it was never as much fun as it was in high school. Lots of 20 something guys though. Had to be careful as a marginally attractive young, naive female.

Loved the freedom of going anywhere I wanted when I got the car. My mom even let me drive the 2 hours when we moved during high school to see my friends. I kind of shake my head at that one. No way would I let my about to turn 16 daughter do anything like that. My mom was kind of checked out of parenting by then and mostly interested in her nightly bourbons.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:09 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
I also have to say that now is the best time in my life -although I had an amazing time with love, travel, and fun in college and early marriage.

Now we are reaping the fruits of our labors, so to speak. Close friends and family, financial security, love and closeness nurtured through 49 years of marriage give a feeling of comfort, calm and happiness that I never expected.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:35 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
It was the 90s for me too. Hubby and I had a thriving business, travelled to fun places, built our dream house, were in our 40s and physically healthy.

Three oldest kids were launched, and the baby was in high school. The first grandchildren were born. We were very active socially, and enjoyed a fun network of friends.

Now, we are fine, friends and family who are still with us are spread far and wide, and we are grateful for what we have, but we miss the old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement