Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 08:45 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think the result of this is the definition of a goal. How big must it be? How many must you have. What if you think you have a goal but someone else doesn’t think it’s a viable one?
The size of goals is dependent upon things like talent, resources, etc. But the size is an individual matter. The opinion of others is not important if you can demonstrate to yourself that your goals are rational and will be fulfilling. I am not setting goals for others, only stating they must have them to be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You continue to express your opinions as if there is some type of rulebook regarding these things when all they amount to is your outlook on not only how you live your life, but on how everyone must live theirs. You define happiness to your own satisfaction rather than with any definition, dictionary or otherwise. Not only that, you have now gotten into the minds of unknown others by telling them what they misunderstand.

What, other than hubris, allows you to continue to make these claims as if they are established fact? Support your claims or admit they are simply the constructs of your own mind.
Study up and then I want you working toward self-actualization by Monday or Tuesday.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Old 10-08-2021, 09:42 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Study up and then I want you working toward self-actualization by Monday or Tuesday.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html
So? You have nothing?

Posting an article critiquing a theory is hardly definitive, particularly when it would barely be worth a unit in a Psych 101 class. While both the article and critique discuss "needs," the debate here has been about happiness requiring goals, words which do not seem to appear in the article you link. Your effort to now tack to a different tangent to avoid facing the issue you created is disingenuous at best and your pompous assignment of tasks is rude, arrogant and ignorant.

Quel surprise!

Old 10-08-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
So? You have nothing?

Posting an article critiquing a theory is hardly definitive, particularly when it would barely be worth a unit in a Psych 101 class. While both the article and critique discuss "needs," the debate here has been about happiness requiring goals, words which do not seem to appear in the article you link. Your effort to now tack to a different tangent to avoid facing the issue you created is disingenuous at best and your pompous assignment of tasks is rude, arrogant and ignorant.

Quel surprise!
Ok, so you are choosing to be a dishonest interlocutor. That saves me some time and effort. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Marc Paolella is nowhere near retirement age. correct?

and definitely not retired. correct?

And doesn't live as a retired person, and is not an older person....
I will never retire voluntarily. Even when I am professionally retired, I will continue to set goals and pursue achievements and hobbies until death. But I could be 19, and it would not matter. The truth of a proposition is not determined by the age of the person submitting it.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:09 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
I have to say that I have had mostly best days with a few awful days and a few horrific days. On balance, at 73, I feel pretty well blessed with ‘best’ days — even now.

Old 10-09-2021, 12:48 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Ok, so you are choosing to be a dishonest interlocutor. That saves me some time and effort. Thanks.
Calling me a liar, unsupported, as usual for you, is offensive and a violation of the terms of service here. Of course, no one should have expected you to suddenly begin to support anything you write.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Calling me a liar, unsupported, as usual for you, is offensive and a violation of the terms of service here. Of course, no one should have expected you to suddenly begin to support anything you write.
Stop with the melodrama. A dishonest interlocutor is not a liar. It’s a person so wrapped up in their own bias and ego that they intentionally misunderstand and obfuscate points made in a discussion. It’s clumsy deflection, not lying. It’s actually not as good as lying, because it is transparent and ineffective.

So Maslow explained it this way:

“The more we learn about man’s natural tendencies, the easier it will be to tell him how to be good, how to be happy, how to be fruitful, how to respect himself, how to love, how to fulfill his highest potentialities … The thing to do seems to be to find out what one is really like inside; deep down, as a member of the human species and as a particular individual”

An excerpt from the website below states:

“One of Abraham Maslow’s lasting and most significant contributions to psychology is what he calls the “hierarchy of needs.” In his quest to understand human motivation and the pursuit of happiness, he formulated a list of basic human needs that had to be fulfilled for maximum psychological health. Through his interviews and studies, he came to categorize a hierarchical list of needs that need to be fulfilled for increasing life satisfaction”

What I am adding to this in the context of reflecting upon our “best days”, is that the best days in our life are when we are taking action to meet these needs (productivity), and seeing a reflection of our value in the eyes of another (romantic love, friendship, etc).

Since Maslow and other behavioral psychologists who have studied this identify items on the hierarchy as basic human needs, we are never relieved of the responsibility to take action to fulfill these needs. Not when we are young, not when we are old. If we evade reality and neglect these needs, we are not as happy as we can be. We might be relatively content, or non-distressed, or emotionally anesthetized. Aka, going through the motions, or phoning it in.

But the best days in our life, the happiest says, are characterized by a high degree of productivity and love. It really can’t be otherwise, because we have a certain fundamental nature as human beings.

https://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org...braham-maslow/

Old 10-09-2021, 07:12 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Now. Coming up on 40 and just about everything I ever wanted or dreamed of I have and then some (within reason). It'll just get better, too.

My mother tells me her 40s were some of her best years. My 20s were a disaster, 30s much much better.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:15 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Excerpted from Kokonutty’s eulogy: We gather today to celebrate the great kokonutty, whose hallmark was being an Observer of Things. He never did anything, and therein lied his virtue. He was a militant non-doer, spurning the mundane materialism of accomplishment and purpose. He was a notable noticer, taking note of things in the world on a level with the great historical non-doers. None of whom come to mind by name, but that perhaps being more a function of my poor memory than anything else. The ability of Koko, as he was affectionately known, to observe a sunset or spawning salmon? Really the stuff of legends.

I think I’ll always remember how still he was.
Do you have ANY idea how self-righteous you sound?

Why do you and others think you are entitled to decide how everyone should live their life, as long as no one is actually harmed and no laws are broken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement