Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 06:26 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times

Advertisements

Stuff is coming together...we signed a lease, Friday, which was our one year wedding anniversary, on our new place in Phoenix.

And I went to the apartment my sons have been living in, they both have to be out of there in the next week, they are moving to two separate places. Got my older son's stuff (and his fiancee's stuff) all cleared out today. Felt really good to make a big chunk of progress like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 11:37 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The other day I think that “<expletive> it” was uttered by my parrot. I guess I use it more often than I care to admit.

I think the bird’s exact words were “well, <expletive> it.”
LOL, I drop the F bomb probably too much.

I used to have a co-worker a few years ago and I mean he literally used the F bomb all of the time. He used it as a qualifier for other things. "Can you pass me that f ing paper." "I had to stop by and get some f ing gas before I got here."

I mean every sentence had the F bomb in it. I got to admit that too much of that does make ya look like a knuckle dragging mouth breather.

On the flip side a well place F bomb can really pull a statement together.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:56 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
I don’t usually swear ( it’s not lady like) lol, but the “s” word is well ingrained in my vocabulary. Today I swore up storm with Andre’s cousin’s mom. He’s been staying with us helping around the place and helping Andre with his Woodworking. He’s a type 2 diabetic and is on both oral meds and insulin. She sends him little “care packages” that often contain candy and cookies. I try and be diplomatic with her and explain why she shouldn’t send him sweets, but she feel like it’s no big deal as long as he takes his meds.
I feel like he’s my third kid! I have to watch him take his meds, watch his diet and make sure he injects the insulin. I know that I don’t have to do it, but I care about him and his health. This am he received another box of junk food… when I saw the contents I called and went off on her. Oops!
I think she feels guilty for him not being able to live at home ( he and step dad don’t get along), but she doesn’t seem to get that she’s not helping him by sending him **** to eat. ( there’s that “s” word again).
Ok… rant over! Lol

Old 07-26-2021, 09:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I don’t usually swear ( it’s not lady like) lol, but the “s” word is well ingrained in my vocabulary. Today I swore up storm with Andre’s cousin’s mom. He’s been staying with us helping around the place and helping Andre with his Woodworking. He’s a type 2 diabetic and is on both oral meds and insulin. She sends him little “care packages” that often contain candy and cookies. I try and be diplomatic with her and explain why she shouldn’t send him sweets, but she feel like it’s no big deal as long as he takes his meds.
I feel like he’s my third kid! I have to watch him take his meds, watch his diet and make sure he injects the insulin. I know that I don’t have to do it, but I care about him and his health. This am he received another box of junk food… when I saw the contents I called and went off on her. Oops!
I think she feels guilty for him not being able to live at home ( he and step dad don’t get along), but she doesn’t seem to get that she’s not helping him by sending him **** to eat. ( there’s that “s” word again).
Ok… rant over! Lol
I would try to have her meet half way - how about if she starts sending him care packages with treats that are suitable for diabetics? Like nuts, salami/sausages, cheeses, maybe some dark chocolate? She can feed her son and her feelings of guilt without causing further damage to his health? He should definitely suggest this directly to mom - I wouldn't try to get in between them. If his diabetes is type 2, I'm guessing he's old enough to self advocate with Maman.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would try to have her meet half way - how about if she starts sending him care packages with treats that are suitable for diabetics? Like nuts, salami/sausages, cheeses, maybe some dark chocolate? She can feed her son and her feelings of guilt without causing further damage to his health? He should definitely suggest this directly to mom - I wouldn't try to get in between them. If his diabetes is type 2, I'm guessing he's old enough to self advocate with Maman.

I have… I even sent her some literature on what he should/should not be eating, and spoken to her several times… nicely.
Lol That’s why i was upset when she sent him more junk to eat. He’s 19 and thinks he’s invincible. I guess he thinks that since his mom sent it… it should be ok to eat. I am not trying to get in between them. I don’t say anything to him in regards to his mom, just that he shouldn’t be eating sweets. My talks with his mom have been kept strictly between her and I.
As previously mentioned I do try and be diplomatic about it, but it’s like it goes in one ear and out the other. She says she understands, but keeps sending him things he shouldn’t be eating.
He’s old enough to self advocate, but he doesn’t seem to have an issue with her sending him goodies.
It’s not he’s saying oh no! Mom is sending me more crap that I shouldn’t be eating. It would be a lot easier if he did advocate for himself, but he’s just too immature to take his condition seriously.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:30 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Wisconsin Cheeseman has a big selection of gift packages.
Swiss Colony now is the owner.

https://www.wisconsincheeseman.com/

Old 07-27-2021, 10:11 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Wow...

The first time I had a move that involved movers and a big truck and all, was through the military and they set the whole thing up for us. This time around we are doing it ourselves and we had 3 different moving companies either do virtual walkthroughs or (in one instance) send someone out to survey the place, so that we can get competitive bids.

Well, I have just received bid #2 of 3. And it is almost TWICE as much as bid #1 was. These were the two virtual walkthroughs. The second, higher one... I just don't think this guy's estimate can be trusted. He seemed way distracted by all of my band memorabilia and stuff, and while I love to nerd out about my interests, he wasn't honestly all that professional. And there were questions he should have asked, that he did not (like if there was room to park a big truck outside...which there actually is.)

The actual cost will be based on actual weight, and their rates were both the same, they just estimated the weight of our stuff completely differently. So in effect, the cost, the real cost, is identical. But that is not much comfort when it comes to just...measuring competence and professionalism.

I just thought, "I'd grab a drink and have a good long conversation with the second guy because he seems cool, but I don't think I want him managing my move."

I'm looking forward to seeing what the third bid is like, because that was a woman who showed up in person and did a walkthrough, and she seemed both friendly AND professional, and unless their rates are way high or something like that, I suspect I'll probably go with them...

Old 07-27-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Wisconsin Cheeseman has a big selection of gift packages.
Swiss Colony now is the owner.

https://www.wisconsincheeseman.com/
I live in wine and cheese land.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:36 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Wow...

The first time I had a move that involved movers and a big truck and all, was through the military and they set the whole thing up for us. This time around we are doing it ourselves and we had 3 different moving companies either do virtual walkthroughs or (in one instance) send someone out to survey the place, so that we can get competitive bids.

Well, I have just received bid #2 of 3. And it is almost TWICE as much as bid #1 was. These were the two virtual walkthroughs. The second, higher one... I just don't think this guy's estimate can be trusted. He seemed way distracted by all of my band memorabilia and stuff, and while I love to nerd out about my interests, he wasn't honestly all that professional. And there were questions he should have asked, that he did not (like if there was room to park a big truck outside...which there actually is.)

The actual cost will be based on actual weight, and their rates were both the same, they just estimated the weight of our stuff completely differently. So in effect, the cost, the real cost, is identical. But that is not much comfort when it comes to just...measuring competence and professionalism.

I just thought, "I'd grab a drink and have a good long conversation with the second guy because he seems cool, but I don't think I want him managing my move."

I'm looking forward to seeing what the third bid is like, because that was a woman who showed up in person and did a walkthrough, and she seemed both friendly AND professional, and unless their rates are way high or something like that, I suspect I'll probably go with them...
Movers. I just got off the phone with one quote that wanted to charge me more to move 2 hours drive time away than I paid up front last year (employer reimbursement) to move 4 hours away. It looks like I’m going the UHaul and moving helpers route.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:50 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Went to a sub shop and picked up some lunch just a little while ago. I'm standing there watching the sandwiches getting made sort doing it assembly line style.

I just couldn't imagine how mind numbingly boring that job would be after a short amount of time. Same goes with cashiers / checkers at the grocery store.

They are good honest jobs I'm not picking on them but I just think it would just be too mindless after awhile, not to mention dealing with the public and standing on your feet in one spot all day.

Kudos to the people doing those jobs and keeping society moving.

I have a thing in my job where I have to read specs and look at product submittal documents and cross reference the two to see if the products submitted is acceptable.

Good lord, that is only about 15% to 20% of the time I have to do that, but damn, that is mind numbingly boring too. I suppose that there's no perfect job. Everything is going to have some drawbacks I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships