Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 01:36 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times

Advertisements

When I was a 19 year old college student I got a job as a ticket agent for AA. I was 19, single ( not looking), and living on my own 300 miles from my mom and and dad. We used to joke that we had men literally standing in line to talk to us. I must have heard every line in the book. Lol Most of the passengers I dealt with were business men and they were ALL older than I was. I really enjoyed the “innocent” flirting and the little cat and mouse games. Fraternizing with the passengers was frowned upon, but not prohibited. Best and most fun job I ever had… (besides the time I worked at a Club Med in the Bahamas for 4 months). If we ever had a passenger that was a little too frisky we’d motion for a supervisor and he or she would walk over and stand next to you while you finished the transaction. (They’d not confront the passenger.)
At times I would work at an ATO ( airline ticket office) off the airport. We had an office in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel and we’d get propositioned all the time ( mostly by men a lot older). Join me in my room for a cocktail, let me take you out to dinner… strictly dinner. I don’t know anyone here and I hate dining alone.
Looking back I think that perhaps they were feeling like I was… away from home, alone, and free to do what they wanted to do. Lol I think that the experience definitely helped with my self confidence and self esteem, and gave me some insight… on men. Bless their little hearts. Lol Food times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 02:09 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
When I was a 19 year old college student I got a job as a ticket agent for AA. I was 19, single ( not looking), and living on my own 300 miles from my mom and and dad. We used to joke that we had men literally standing in line to talk to us. I must have heard every line in the book. Lol Most of the passengers I dealt with were business men and they were ALL older than I was. I really enjoyed the “innocent” flirting and the little cat and mouse games. Fraternizing with the passengers was frowned upon, but not prohibited. Best and most fun job I ever had… (besides the time I worked at a Club Med in the Bahamas for 4 months). If we ever had a passenger that was a little too frisky we’d motion for a supervisor and he or she would walk over and stand next to you while you finished the transaction. (They’d not confront the passenger.)
At times I would work at an ATO ( airline ticket office) off the airport. We had an office in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel and we’d get propositioned all the time ( mostly by men a lot older). Join me in my room for a cocktail, let me take you out to dinner… strictly dinner. I don’t know anyone here and I hate dining alone.
Looking back I think that perhaps they were feeling like I was… away from home, alone, and free to do what they wanted to do. Lol I think that the experience definitely helped with my self confidence and self esteem, and gave me some insight… on men. Bless their little hearts. Lol Food times!
Food times... Either you took them up on the dinner, or this is a typo?

Old 08-05-2021, 02:14 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Quote:
That is a great story, thanks for sharing!

Old 08-05-2021, 08:42 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Default Both! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Food times... Either you took them up on the dinner, or this is a typo?
I actually took up 2 dinner offers. One from a regular passenger ( this little 80 year old Japanese man) and a professional baseball player who said having dinner with him was the least I could do after hurting his feelings.
He was standing in line in front of me at Starbucks and when I recognized him I said that had I known he was going to be there I’d have brought a home run ball from their game the night before for him to autograph ( He was a pitcher). He asked if I’d been to the game and I said no, I actually live about 17 miles from Dodger Stadium and the home run ball that he served up to so and so…. was hit so hard that it landed in my backyard. He covered his face with his hands. I actually paid for our dinner. ( it was late and everything was closed but Starbucks) so ….I went downstairs to our break room and bought a couple of frozen burritos from a vending machine and vending machine coffee.

Last edited by Sydney123; 08-05-2021 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-08-2021, 11:17 AM

127 posts, read 64,694 times
Quote:

Best job i had was working at Busch Gardens for 2 summers. A bunch of young boys to work with. We had one heck of alot of fun in the electric room behind the dumpsters, lol. I think we got more shenanigans done than work.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:25 AM

127 posts, read 64,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do most guys actually believe that young women who work in the service industries/retail are genuinely interested in hooking up with their male customers? Are guys really so delusional that they think the female bartender is being "nice" because she want's the D? His D?
Yes they are delusional but at the same time many are very sweet and kind. I work as a waitress and i get alot of men asking to eat in my section. I have one guy that leaves me 50 dollars every time he comes in and thats usually 3 times a week. I got a 1200 and 1100 dollar tip before. But they are almost always very sweet to me. I dont hide it from them im not going to go out with them. I did go out for a drink with one guy. He was nice but no clicking. Im also very outgoing and complimentary with female customers. They appreciate being told how nice they appear.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:19 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
When things go south, man, they really go south.

It started off a week and a half ago. Mrs. Chow's mother had a flood in her bathroom. It flooded half the house. We had to bring in a remediation crew and deal with insurance companies and all of that.

From that point on every single thing that could go wrong has gone wrong. This whole event causing her mother to move into a hotel until we can get our house read for her to come here must have triggered something in her, not being in her familiar environment etc etc. She was already having physically problems and I'm sure she's 2nd stage Alzheimer's, not sure why her doc hasn't ran test on her already, but whatever.

She just literally 2 weeks ago was still living at home with a lady coming in to help her out. I don't know what happened but she just fell off the cliff. Mumbles and doesn't make any sense. She can't hardly move. We're trying to take care of her but I think we're in over our heads. The work at the house just threw a wrench into everything. The hotel she's at is ADA compliant but I think the room is not avaiable next week so we've got to scramble to get our house ready or find another hotel to move her to but that might stress her out too, multiple moves.

We're having issues with her sun downing at night, that's a real treat if you aren't aware, give it a quick search. She almost turns into a complete other person late afternoon into the night. It's almost a blessing she can't move as they tend to wonder around at night and pace.

Mrs. Chow's back is starting to give out trying to help move her mom around, our lady that comes in and helps out seems like she's playing games with us for one reason or another, a whole long story that is too much to get into.

I could go on, everything is just a series of events that I've never in my live seen come together to cause a total nightmare. One of our cars is having issues, her mom's car is acting weird at times too.

Mrs. Chows cell phone is on the blink.

I'm sicker than a dog, don't know if it's COVID or not, feels like the flu, but I guess COVID tends to have similar symptoms. We're busier than F at work now, for weeks and weeks projects slid schedule wise, now that are all sliding together to hit at once. I'm typing this and I can hardly think I'm so tired and worn out. My ribs are sore from coughing

Mrs. Chow is worn out from taking care of her mom in a hotel, which makes things harder. Her mom's back is beyond jacked up, she's bent over and her spine is like a pretzel so her back hurts her, so we can't just pick her up and move her as it causes her pain. She's probably all of 105 pounds, but having that back issue makes things harder.

We have to get her house ready to get sold as she's got a reverse mortgage on it and if you move you out and don't live there anymore you have to begin to try and sell it. We only have so much time to do that as the helper lady only works so many days a week. We don't know how we're going to pay for nursing home yet, need to figure that out. Her mother was using the reverse mortgage to help supplement her income as she's on SS only and get's diddly from that. I think she might qualify for state assistance for the home, but need to start checking into that.

I know that there is more, just skimming the highlights.

I was hoping to keep her here at home with us, but I think we're in over our heads. I don't know. We're looking at websites talking about this and how it can really be hard on families as you get caregiver burnout and all of that.

Like I've said, I've never seen a series of events come together like these have in my whole life.

I know at some point in our lives we'll look back on this time and possible laugh, I don't know.

Right now, it's doubtful.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:35 AM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
I am pulling for you Chow, you and your family will get through this.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:07 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Oh my word, Chow, that is a lot. I am so sorry to hear that you're going through all of this. Just...sending supportive, "hug thoughts" your way. I hope that things get better for you and your family soon.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:54 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Yeah Chow, that is a bunch to deal with. I'm pulling for you. Not that it helps but it's really common for people who are already cognitively challenged to struggle when their routines get flipped.

You're in Cal. right? In Missouri and Illinois there are programs, funding, that helps people support a person who can live at home with support. Congregate living set ups are expensive, so these programs are designed to support people at home as long as that works as a cost cutting measure. The income (and assets) of the person needing support is typically the qualifier.

I'd be surprised if Cal. didn't have a program like that, since they're typically way ahead of Mo. or Ill. in providing a social safety net. If they do, I don't know if your MIL would be eligible, and in any case it won't help you short term. But when things settle, and they will, it might be a possibility.

Again, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships