Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 11:34 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times

Advertisements

It seems like we had a window after the vaccines were widely available that events and socializing were possible that weren't for a long time, and now that window is closing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 12:46 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It seems like we had a window after the vaccines were widely available that events and socializing were possible that weren't for a long time, and now that window is closing again.
I feel that way too. I'm pretty pragmatic and so I didn't tilt at restrictions, but I didn't know how much I wanted "normal" back until we had a few weeks of something approaching it. The person with Covid had travelled, but from a hotspot (I live in Missouri) to a relatively "cooler" area. So I'm and back to being pragmatic, but through slightly gritted teeth.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Do most guys actually believe that young women who work in the service industries/retail are genuinely interested in hooking up with their male customers? Are guys really so delusional that they think the female bartender is being "nice" because she want's the D? His D?

Old 08-03-2021, 03:02 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do most guys actually believe that young women who work in the service industries/retail are genuinely interested in hooking up with their male customers? Are guys really so delusional that they think the female bartender is being "nice" because she want's the D? His D?
LOL, some do.

I've told the story about my dad on the board a few times over the years. He was a bartender and restaurant manager for most of his life. He knows the drill of the business. He was 75 and at one of those old codger Elks type lodges. Some younger woman, 33 or so worked there as a bartender and flirted with all of the old duffers and my dad actually thought that she was interested in him. He asked her to go some place and I wasn't there at the time but I guess she sort of tried to nicely blow him off and he's later telling me that she's playing games with him, blah blah blah. Again, this guy has been bartender for a long long time and been around the block. I guess he couldn't see himself clearly.

I would go there and I knew her too, just from being with him and she seemed nice an all, but I was late 40's at the time, I wouldn't have hit on her just because I felt like she was too young for me, but not my 75 yr old dad.

I don't mean to pick on my dad as he's passed and all, but when he told me that story I was horrified and beyond embarrassed for him. It's pretty bad when you are embarrassed for someone and they don't see it themselves.

I've never been the pickup player type to begin with, but man, I sure learned a lesson from that situation, never ever ever think that a service worker such as in that situation actually wants to be with you. He was a rough looking 75 and had no money, I mean these old dudes with money can delude themselves I guess, but let's keep it real here.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:58 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, some do.

I've told the story about my dad on the board a few times over the years. He was a bartender and restaurant manager for most of his life. He knows the drill of the business. He was 75 and at one of those old codger Elks type lodges. Some younger woman, 33 or so worked there as a bartender and flirted with all of the old duffers and my dad actually thought that she was interested in him. He asked her to go some place and I wasn't there at the time but I guess she sort of tried to nicely blow him off and he's later telling me that she's playing games with him, blah blah blah. Again, this guy has been bartender for a long long time and been around the block. I guess he couldn't see himself clearly.

I would go there and I knew her too, just from being with him and she seemed nice an all, but I was late 40's at the time, I wouldn't have hit on her just because I felt like she was too young for me, but not my 75 yr old dad.

I don't mean to pick on my dad as he's passed and all, but when he told me that story I was horrified and beyond embarrassed for him. It's pretty bad when you are embarrassed for someone and they don't see it themselves.

I've never been the pickup player type to begin with, but man, I sure learned a lesson from that situation, never ever ever think that a service worker such as in that situation actually wants to be with you. He was a rough looking 75 and had no money, I mean these old dudes with money can delude themselves I guess, but let's keep it real here.
LOL

I have made no secret of the fact that I harbor a general fondness for old people. But there are, well, I guess like people of every age...old folks who have aged more and less gracefully, shall we say. And more to the point, who do or don't take care of themselves, or have a good sense of their appearance. I always had questions in my mind about how some older people dress, for instance. I remember old ladies I used to see wearing those awful polyester seafoam green pants, pulled up nearly into their armpits. Awful floral prints. I wondered if they were holding to what was fashionable in their youth (probably, I'd say, from old photos I've seen) or if they were just thrift shopping and wearing whatever was comfortable at that point.

But when old men flirted with me, even if they were kinda "gross" examples...I've always had this impulse to be smiling and nice to them. Even if I beat a retreat and disappeared shortly after so they didn't get too much of an idea. If I can make some old dude's day with a smile and a thank you, rather than being nasty to him, I will. Hell if it came down to it, I'm pretty sure I could outrun some 70 or 80 year old!

It is bad to pursue someone at their work place, beyond a casual wink and a smile though. They are a captive audience. It's downright unsportsmanlike if it's nothing else.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:54 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Hey all!

Checking in on you. I have been lurking and reading, but not posting much. Hope you are doing wonderfully well and staying safe and healthy

Nice to hear from you…
The boys are walking. Steven took off first and Andrew followed a couple of days later. Life is good here on “Green acres”. Lol

Old 08-04-2021, 09:57 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney123 View Post
nice to hear from you…
the boys are walking. Steven took off first and andrew followed a couple of days later. Life is good here on “green acres”. Lol
awwwww!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2021, 07:13 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL

I have made no secret of the fact that I harbor a general fondness for old people. But there are, well, I guess like people of every age...old folks who have aged more and less gracefully, shall we say. And more to the point, who do or don't take care of themselves, or have a good sense of their appearance. I always had questions in my mind about how some older people dress, for instance. I remember old ladies I used to see wearing those awful polyester seafoam green pants, pulled up nearly into their armpits. Awful floral prints. I wondered if they were holding to what was fashionable in their youth (probably, I'd say, from old photos I've seen) or if they were just thrift shopping and wearing whatever was comfortable at that point.

But when old men flirted with me, even if they were kinda "gross" examples...I've always had this impulse to be smiling and nice to them. Even if I beat a retreat and disappeared shortly after so they didn't get too much of an idea. If I can make some old dude's day with a smile and a thank you, rather than being nasty to him, I will. Hell if it came down to it, I'm pretty sure I could outrun some 70 or 80 year old!

It is bad to pursue someone at their work place, beyond a casual wink and a smile though. They are a captive audience. It's downright unsportsmanlike if it's nothing else.
Just on principle and to represent old dudes I challenge you to a race in September of 2027. I still got some quicks.

Regarding clothes and the way men and women age now vs just a few decades ago, there this light blue shade of denim, not stressed or faded but just a shade close to well faded levis with this really heavy stitching, that they used to sell I assume at the old man store. Or maybe they gave them out at the club where those guys used to hang out.

When my father finally bought a pair of jeans in like 1988, that's what he got, and he wore them with an old pair of dress shoes and dress socks. And while dad was about 5-11 and could have easily found a 33 or 34 inch inseam pair, he bought 32s, in order to flash the dark socks, dress shoes style he was sporting, along with some very white ankles when he crossed his legs. My sister and I were out with him at the mall once and she was more beside herself than me, and she said, "Dad, nobody wears those. They're not even really jeans." In the next 5 minutes he pointed out 2 other hep cats sporting the same "trousers" and we just gave up and took solace in knowing he never wore shorts. Small blessings.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:41 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Just on principle and to represent old dudes I challenge you to a race in September of 2027. I still got some quicks.

Regarding clothes and the way men and women age now vs just a few decades ago, there this light blue shade of denim, not stressed or faded but just a shade close to well faded levis with this really heavy stitching, that they used to sell I assume at the old man store. Or maybe they gave them out at the club where those guys used to hang out.

When my father finally bought a pair of jeans in like 1988, that's what he got, and he wore them with an old pair of dress shoes and dress socks. And while dad was about 5-11 and could have easily found a 33 or 34 inch inseam pair, he bought 32s, in order to flash the dark socks, dress shoes style he was sporting, along with some very white ankles when he crossed his legs. My sister and I were out with him at the mall once and she was more beside herself than me, and she said, "Dad, nobody wears those. They're not even really jeans." In the next 5 minutes he pointed out 2 other hep cats sporting the same "trousers" and we just gave up and took solace in knowing he never wore shorts. Small blessings.
You are ON, Homina!

I've actually been seeing pictures online of these old lady fashion models, there are a couple of them, one was the "accidental icon" like she showed up to enjoy some fashion event, not as a model, just wearing what she likes to wear, and her style was so awesome that people started taking pictures of her!

I love when people are not afraid to be unique and expressive, at any age, but especially as we get older. It's easy to take for granted when young folks are trying to stand out and be seen, but I hate the idea that older people should just dwindle and be invisible. I want to love myself at any age. And older (relative to me) people who have been willing to share stories of their lives are the absolute BEST.

But to circle back to the whole "flirting with the hired help" thing... I dunno, it can be uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of overt and unwanted sexual attention from anybody. I just feel more threatened by younger men doing it, than by older men, for some reason. Probably my upbringing, as I've mentioned before. I had way better experiences with older people throughout my life since childhood, than I ever have younger ones. I've had more kids, teens, and very young adults behave in malicious and savage and downright evil ways to me, than old people ever did, and I'm sure that's colored my mindset a lot.

It's not a question of if I want to sleep with some "old guy" or not, if I don't want to sleep with some young guy either. It's more a question of if the flirting is in good fun, or if this man is gonna be waiting for me when I try to leave or something. Anybody can be either way, really. But when I worked in retail/foodservice, the only guy who made me feel actually upset and threatened, was a college frat type. I eventually had to get him banned from the store, after I'd been hiding in the back room every time he showed up for weeks. He did not want to take no for an answer.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:40 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Nice to hear from you…
The boys are walking. Steven took off first and Andrew followed a couple of days later. Life is good here on “Green acres”. Lol
That's fantastic! Double trouble who will be on the run throughout the countryside before you know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships