Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2021, 09:29 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
You’re not wrong. Or he is trying to compensate for what he is lacking.
I would have gone up… in a heartbeat. Even with that dude.
I bet it was quite the rush!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 07:25 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I personally think Jeff Bezos is a fat due to his labor practices so only practical he’d build something that reflected himself.
And he did make a huge charitable donation just afterward, but he could be doing so much more. I respect his ex-wife for giving away her settlement every year to underfunded organizations and schools, many who support people of color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I completely understand places having swimming pools, they are super common down there, because sheesh...it's hot. But landscaping that isn't hardy desert plants, but thirstier varieties that need to be watered, ought to be against the law or something. It's just a bad idea trying to keep lots of lush greenery alive in the desert. I think that this place does a bit more of that than I like. Though all those pretty palm trees, those things grow native there all over the place, so they're not particularly bad I don't think.
Congrats on finding an apartment, Sonic! Though I do agree with you about the landscaping in the desert. I saw a news piece not too long about about the huge drought issues in the southwest, and it really just shows that maybe so many people shouldn't be living in a desert. Like, it's inhospitable without lots of water and air conditioning, which aren't natural and are destroying the environment.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-21-2021 at 07:42 AM..

Old 07-21-2021, 07:39 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Found a place. Got approved.

I'm looking forward to checkin' out this pool...that is open 24/7!

Pool Picture

Now I think I just need to renegotiate us into a bigger unit, I changed my mind about which one specifically I wanted, and the lady I talked to yesterday said to just let her know if I wanted to switch my app to a bigger one, and we're going to chat on Wednesday. I'm so happy I got this whole thing settled. I was having a hard time focusing on pretty much anything else.
That's great Sonic. Congrats. Good luck on your "chat" today.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:47 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
That's great Sonic. Congrats. Good luck on your "chat" today.
Thanks!

I feel like my skull is full of cracked out squirrels today all running around.

Both of my sons told me last night about issues that they are having, of the type I used to just jump in and handle for them, but I don't have the time or bandwidth right now...so I just explained to them as best I could the steps to try and find solutions, and left it at that. I felt my ex needed to know about younger kid's situation, so I called him this morning to fill him in. He interrupted and talked over me constantly and then complained that it was "way too confusing." Well, I dunno, jackarse, maybe if you'd SHUT UP AND LISTEN... At one point he yelled at me, after I told him that I was not able to go help kiddo today, "I see, so it's on me then. Got it. Fine." Like no, dude, I told the boy what HE needs to do. If you want to help, fine, but don't throw a fit about it. Jeezus.

/facepalm.

On top of that, I have a guy here to work on my dysfunctional air conditioning this morning, he's doing that now, I have a work meeting in 20 minutes, a moving company walk through appointment about an hour later, and a call from the leasing agent at the new place in Phoenix...whenever she decides to call, or when I call her this afternoon if she doesn't.

Like I consider myself to be highly skilled in juggling administrative tasks, but some days it all just gets to be a bit much.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:04 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I'm sitting in my home office without AC and sweat is just dripping off of me. In the shade, not moving around, drinking water and I'm sweating.

I've sat under a covered patio in AZ with it being 95 degrees with 8%Rh humidity and it felt better than this does.

Gotta love those dry heats. Our humidity is around 51% which really isn't bad comparing to other places but it's making the 81 degrees feel a lot worse than it should.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:18 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm sitting in my home office without AC and sweat is just dripping off of me. In the shade, not moving around, drinking water and I'm sweating.

I've sat under a covered patio in AZ with it being 95 degrees with 8%Rh humidity and it felt better than this does.

Gotta love those dry heats. Our humidity is around 51% which really isn't bad comparing to other places but it's making the 81 degrees feel a lot worse than it should.
I'm a weirdo. I kinda like humidity. It's taken a long time for me to adjust to Colorado's dry air.

But I grew up in VA, and humidity was just...it was my normal. I miss the fireflies, too. And the scent of honeysuckle flowers heavy in the muggy summer air at dusk. The sound of the cicadas.

But what I really miss is the beach.

And I've been mulling a minor dilemma. My Dad's family goes to the beach with some extended family and a group of family friends (that I don't know) every year. My Dad and them, they've never met my husband. My first one, yes, but not the man I'm with now. I also have this oddly persistent urge to show up and (after thinking through the moments where I wish I could visit with them and what I wish I could share with them) fish for validation, because I've got some lingering "See, I DO deserve your love and respect, I am a good person!" baggage lurking around.

But that is some childhood NON-SENSE. Because my family honestly just is not a great fit for me, and they never were. I was always too weird for them. I am the only one who has put any effort into nurturing any kind of a connection with them. I used to visit a lot, they never visited me. If anyone calls, it's always me. I struggle to dodge political arguments with my Dad, and my Brother married a woman who has one point of major philosophical/political difference with me that...it's one of those that runs deep and hot. Not to mention, they have three really little daughters who, from what I hear when I call him, never stop shrieking.

None of this sounds like a recipe for a relaxing time at the beach.

I feel guilty but the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a lot more genuine of me to simply go with my husband, possibly that couple who lives here that we're really close friends with (our "chosen family" as it were)...and maybe not even let my family know that I'm on their side of the country.

But I feel guilty about that. I feel that my Dad and family have some vague sort of right to meet my husband and he to meet them...? Or that I have not seen any of them in 7 years and I am obligated to visit them if I'm going to be in the area. I dunno.

Probably the easiest solution would be to book separate lodgings (even if it costs more) for husband and I but during the same time frame, so we can spend time together but also have our quiet space where we can actually relax. That's probably the best compromise.

Do ya'll think I should even feel obligated to put energy into maintaining these ties? I've started to really give a critical look to all of the various relationships I've had throughout my life that were utterly lopsided with me putting in all of the effort. I feel like I should stop doing that.

(This would be next year at the soonest, I have time to ponder it and I won't decide anything at all until later on in the year after my move.)

Last edited by Sonic_Spork; 07-21-2021 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-21-2021, 03:19 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
The first hour at the office the AC doesn’t run. My window faces the east. It is not pleasant.

It started raining here. So I step outside. It is 92 degrees and raining. Feels like a sauna.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:27 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
It was 94 degrees with 45% humidity here today. All the animals were conked out in whatever shade they could find.
Went for a soak in the creek and spent the rest of the day inside and air conditioned. Lol

Old 07-23-2021, 12:49 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Perhaps, take your laptop to a local watering hole or coffee shop that has A/C...

Old 07-23-2021, 12:59 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
It was 94 degrees with 45% humidity here today. All the animals were conked out in whatever shade they could find.
Went for a soak in the creek and spent the rest of the day inside and air conditioned. Lol
I'm fortunate to have a bass pond & creek to cool off in. Sometimes the blue gill like to nibble on your toes...

Happy Birthday to your beloved babies. Soon you can teach them how to swim, or enroll them in a class. We took our young'uns to the YMCA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships