Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2021, 05:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

Well my next place is decided. After 6 separate places toured yesterday, I committed and got approved for a place in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte. It was the most expensive place I looked at and a last minute addition to my considerations but the area, proximity to amenities, and the quality of the complex was far too good to pass up. I can’t wait for September.

North Durham to Ballantyne will be like the come up the Atlanta Hawks had after McMillian took over as coach this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 08:37 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I had a lot of fun last night. My closest friends invited us to visit a long term friend of theirs, he is a sweet elderly man who has had some rough times lately and they felt he could use a little company. There were about 10 or 11 of us there. We had a generous cookout spread and the balcony of this place, it was up in the foothills, and we had a view of the whole city to the northeast. We could see four major pro fireworks displays, plus the whole city's worth of illegal amateur stuff, and we had bats flying around and a thunderstorm off in the far distance. Then the musicians took over... Our host had a piano, and there were three guests who could play it well, plus a guitarist who brought his instrument, and a pro (she lives off gigs and has recorded) singer. So we had live music, too. I'm enjoying my social life here as much as I can before we have to move to Phoenix, though I'm sure I'll make new friends there, too.

And also this weekend, I helped my older son with his moving project, he and his fiance are moving into their own apartment from student housing, and I gave them a bunch of my furniture. And we found a room to rent for my younger son in a house shared by young men (college age, but they don't have to be students) that he can afford and can easily get to and from work from, and he loved it so much we locked down the lease and paid the deposit the same day. So he'll be able to move at the end of the month.

Funny...I was so sure I had to work today, I thought my company had given us a float day in lieu of a day off for the 4th since the actual day was on a weekend. I logged in, ready to get cracking, and I replied to an email and got an out of office that said that our offices were closed today from my coworker...and I was like, "wait, what?" and had to check the official HR docs...sure enough. Ah well, I was online for all of 13 minutes and more than half of that was me bumbling around in confusion trying to figure out if I was supposed to be on or not. Surprise day off! lol

Old 07-05-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I had a lot of fun last night. My closest friends invited us to visit a long term friend of theirs, he is a sweet elderly man who has had some rough times lately and they felt he could use a little company. There were about 10 or 11 of us there. We had a generous cookout spread and the balcony of this place, it was up in the foothills, and we had a view of the whole city to the northeast. We could see four major pro fireworks displays, plus the whole city's worth of illegal amateur stuff, and we had bats flying around and a thunderstorm off in the far distance. Then the musicians took over... Our host had a piano, and there were three guests who could play it well, plus a guitarist who brought his instrument, and a pro (she lives off gigs and has recorded) singer. So we had live music, too. I'm enjoying my social life here as much as I can before we have to move to Phoenix, though I'm sure I'll make new friends there, too.

And also this weekend, I helped my older son with his moving project, he and his fiance are moving into their own apartment from student housing, and I gave them a bunch of my furniture. And we found a room to rent for my younger son in a house shared by young men (college age, but they don't have to be students) that he can afford and can easily get to and from work from, and he loved it so much we locked down the lease and paid the deposit the same day. So he'll be able to move at the end of the month.

Funny...I was so sure I had to work today, I thought my company had given us a float day in lieu of a day off for the 4th since the actual day was on a weekend. I logged in, ready to get cracking, and I replied to an email and got an out of office that said that our offices were closed today from my coworker...and I was like, "wait, what?" and had to check the official HR docs...sure enough. Ah well, I was online for all of 13 minutes and more than half of that was me bumbling around in confusion trying to figure out if I was supposed to be on or not. Surprise day off! lol
Happy the weekend was really productive for your sons and fun for you!

I was nicely surprised this morning to find out that my company is giving us the 8 hours of holiday pay in addition to working today. My business unit is closed Sundays so I figured we would not get the holiday pay since the 4th was a Sunday but I have no complaints about double pay for working a holiday.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:31 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Great news about your boys' living situation, Sonic. That must be a relief.

I took a couple of days off and went to visit my parents over the holiday weekend. Dad had a cold, so now I have a cold for the first time in over a year. Then I came back to discover that something has died behind the wall in my kitchen, but at least my nose is so stuffed up that I can't smell it so well.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:01 PM

It is a relief!

Youngest kid is still driving me nuts, but eh.../shrug...if he doesn't want to step up, he's going to have to fall down. I'm leaving. I've had enough.

I've been looking at dozens of apartment listings in the area between Chandler and Scottsdale, and today I happened upon one that seems more perfect than anything I've seen yet. It meets all of our criteria for cost, is bigger than many I've looked at, has great amenities, will let us have the cat, all of that stuff. But unlike most, the reviews are a lot better. I have to worry more about bugs there, than I ever had to here. So seeing the dreaded "r word" in any reviews was really offputting. This complex has none of that. The only down side is that it's really close to a hospital, so we'd be having to adjust to hearing a lot of sirens, I think. But I've lived within a couple blocks of train tracks before, I think you can learn to tune almost anything out after a while.

So. I might actually call them and see if perhaps we could lock it down in advance, rather than waiting until the first half of Sept and just getting the best of whatever is available at that time, which was the plan. I typically don't like to rent a place sight unseen, but this is the only one I've seen where I feel like that might actually be alright.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:17 PM

Heinous irony.

The company I work for designs and sells software products to property management companies. Many of the apartment complexes I'm looking at in Arizona for my move, use it. It has, for clients that pay for it, a way of constantly checking market prices AND interest in a similar way that flight tickets online do, in order to optimize the rents it advertises at any given point in time. The apartment I wanted, just became unaffordable to me, because of the software designed and sold by my employer. They pay me and they just screwed me out of a place to live. I feel so conflicted right now.

When I talk about "investors" driving up housing prices in both the buying/selling market, AND the rental market...yeah, this is the position from whence I speak.

(EDIT: 1300 to 1800/month increase IN ONE DAY. Literally yesterday, to today.)

Last edited by Sonic_Spork; 07-08-2021 at 03:39 PM..

Old 07-08-2021, 03:47 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Investments in RETIs sound ok on paper, but they are having a harmful effect overall in the bigger picture and is going to cause problems moving forward for people that don't have any kind of assets or money to get into the housing market themselves. This feeds into the generational wealth gaps people talk about, lots of not so good things about them. It's going to create a permanent renter class in this country, in my opinion only.

Homeownership is one of the pillars to creating long term wealth.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Investments in RETIs sound ok on paper, but they are having a harmful effect overall in the bigger picture and is going to cause problems moving forward for people that don't have any kind of assets or money to get into the housing market themselves. This feeds into the generational wealth gaps people talk about, lots of not so good things about them. It's going to create a permanent renter class in this country, in my opinion only.

Homeownership is one of the pillars to creating long term wealth.
It is a huge driver for inflation. Housing is usually most people's single biggest monthly expense anyways. So what our dollars can get us for a home to live in, is a pretty significant measure of what is going on in the economy, even if it's only one market with its own driving forces.

I mean, I make enough money now that I feel like I have "made it" but I can't afford rent on a decent 2 bedroom apartment in the area where I need to go and live for important family reasons, I think that is kind of crazy. Well. I'll just have to look in other communities nearby, and maybe settle for an older place that is not as nice, I guess. Forget about buying any time soon. I can't afford to save up tens, or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not unless I'm willing to cram my husband and I into a roach infested one bedroom or studio for 5-10 years. By that time though, his inheritance will eventually, hopefully, help us buy a home. We hope. But we can't know, since we have no idea what medical costs are going to drain off his father's net worth before the end.

Neither of my parents, nor anyone I am related to, was ever going to leave me anything. Even the relative I loved and looked up to the most left her estate to a charity because she didn't want the family squabbling over it.

And I've always had several relatives more desperate than I am with their hands out at me, perpetually. Breaking even occasionally seems possible, but getting ahead never really does.

But sorry, that's a tangent, about the market... What I wonder is how long it will take before enough residential units stand empty at prices that most cannot afford (or qualify for with their income) before the supposedly perfect and natural forces of supply and demand cause anything to change?

I mean, rents have never, in any area I've ever lived in, gone DOWN in my lifetime. It's only a question of how much they go up and how fast. A jump of over 38% in a day is just...bonkers.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Heinous irony.

The company I work for designs and sells software products to property management companies. Many of the apartment complexes I'm looking at in Arizona for my move, use it. It has, for clients that pay for it, a way of constantly checking market prices AND interest in a similar way that flight tickets online do, in order to optimize the rents it advertises at any given point in time. The apartment I wanted, just became unaffordable to me, because of the software designed and sold by my employer. They pay me and they just screwed me out of a place to live. I feel so conflicted right now.

When I talk about "investors" driving up housing prices in both the buying/selling market, AND the rental market...yeah, this is the position from whence I speak.

Same thing happened to me when I was more amenable to staying in the Raleigh-Durham area a few weeks ago. I was looking into a nice area of NW Raleigh which had some places in my budget. Once Apple and Google announced plans to increase their numbers at RTP just down the road, the $1200 newer 1bed apartments I was targeting went to $1400-1600 overnight. After that, I was not going to put up with Raleigh’s soaring rent or Durham’s increasing crime.

I’ll be paying 15% more in rent for my Charlotte place but my raise at work will cover that easily and a much safer neighborhood than my current one in Durham.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:03 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Quote:
Heinous irony.

Sonic, I am sorry this is happening to you. I know this has to be frustrating. Have you looked at some of the smaller mom and pop landlords? I am betting they aren't using this type of software and I doubt that they are changing rents this frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships